-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got outstanding horizontal accuracy at 100 yards today. Shooting my 1958 99 G in .300 Savage with Remington 150 PSP from the bench. The rest was a sock filled with pinto beans atop a block of wood. Scope was a pre-Permacenter Lyman 4X All-American.

But the vertical was off.

I know I did not have a good cheek weld.
Should I assume it was the cheek weld causing the vertical error?

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Could be how carefully you positioned the gun on the bag for each shot, too. Scope didn't go haywire on you did it? Of course, all in all, that ain't bad. Not sure I would complain about that performance.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are you allowing your barrel to cool off between shots/groups?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was towards the end of the session and getting a bit tired.

The front rest was a sock filled with pinto bean on top of a block of wood.

Neither were too steady.

Not wanting to rub the ear cup of my hearing protectors against the nice wood of the comb I kept my head up with my chin against the stock.

I think that with a better cheekweld and a more firm from stock I could hit 1.0 MOA with good ammo.

As many on the Forum know I don't hunt. But with the results I am seeing from my 99 G I am starting to understand that I am less the owner of a fine rifle -- and more the steward of a finely honed ungulate killing machine.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 02/07/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two things come to mind. First is, as you mentioned, cheek weld and the second is where you positioned the the forearm of the rifle on the bean bag. 99s are famous for not liking the bag under the wood but prefer the bag under the receiver. You might try that.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would guess the barrel got hot. The end of the five shot string heated up and flew faster hence hit higher. You got a nice three shot deal going on there. Hand loads or factory? U got a chronograph handy? Two things. Where ever those cross hairs are pointed when she goes bang is where it hits. The only thing important when she goes bang is where are the crosshairs? If it was my group. First i would check my scope mounts for secure hold. Second I would make sure the barrel was cool between shots and try it closer like 50 yards.Shooting closer would remove half of my error and allow me to check each shot not the group as a hole.I would find a chronograph if I repeated the group or the fliers came early or not at the end of the five shots.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/07/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As skidrow said, put the bag under the receiver. To that I would add be careful how you grip the forearm. Be consistent in the amount and direction of pressure you apply against your shoulder.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/08/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One thing I have found with shooting a scope. I like shooting at a cross instead of a dot. I take hot pink duck tape tear it into three inch long by 1 to 2 inch wide strips and make a cross. It helps me calm down and keep the hold consistent.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/08/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How tight is the forend screw and do you have a small rubber o-ring between the forend and barrel. Keep it lucy goosey.

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 300jimmy
How tight is the forend screw and do you have a small rubber o-ring between the forend and barrel. Keep it lucy goosey.

Sorry to show my ignorance, but I did not know my rifle had a forearm screw.

I would rather leave all screws alone for now.

I will try the 180 gr as well as the 150 gr, rest on the receiver nd let the barrel cool.

Regards

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I would guess the barrel got hot.

yep.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another point I forgot to mention is to match your ammo lots if factory and or brass if reloading. Different brass can have different velocity.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.