Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Years ago I knew the manager of a Sears tire shop. When he was about 2 years from retirement, they moved him to clothing and put him on a full commission. Since the department manager didn't sell much, he was starving. He was just trying to get by until he could retire. They were trying to force him out of his pension.

That's been a standard tactic of Sears for a long time. I worked for them at the auto center from 1986-89 when I was in college. They'd go after someone when they were about two years from retirement, they'd do everything they could to find a BS reason to fire him or force them to quit so they'd get off the hook for the pension.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It's simple make or sell a good product and people buy it
Appliance that were Kenmore, lawn mowers, craftsman tools etc. all turned to junk it's that simple sell crap and you go out of business

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
I don't think tool sales was/is the made or break of Sears.

You are right , however their trying to get into the Chinee tool market against established competition did not help them. They would have been better off to drop their line of tools entirely.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

No, it was trying to sell women's clothing and curtains. Remember the "softer side of Sears" campaign?

Core competency is a concept accountants just can't grasp. You can't run a business without numbers, and you can't run a business by the numbers. As long as accountants are in charge, a business will decline.

Women's clothing was in Sears from the beginning. The original catalogs had about everything you could imagine, including clothing. A country person could easily get by if he had to buy everything he owned from Sears.
When this area was settled in the early 1900's, a lot of the houses built were Sears kits. They were quality houses and many are still standing.

I remember the Sears catalog being thicker than our phone book in a town of 32,000 when I was a little kid. And it was printed on what seemed like tissue paper.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandfather, who died in '90 did all his business at Sears.

From tires to tools to suits to appliances.

All his woodworking tools came from there also.

My how the times have changed.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

No, it was trying to sell women's clothing and curtains. Remember the "softer side of Sears" campaign?

Core competency is a concept accountants just can't grasp. You can't run a business without numbers, and you can't run a business by the numbers. As long as accountants are in charge, a business will decline.

Women's clothing was in Sears from the beginning. The original catalogs had about everything you could imagine, including clothing. A country person could easily get by if he had to buy everything he owned from Sears.
When this area was settled in the early 1900's, a lot of the houses built were Sears kits. They were quality houses and many are still standing.

I remember the Sears catalog being thicker than our phone book in a town of 32,000 when I was a little kid. And it was printed on what seemed like tissue paper.

Yes, there was a reason for that.

When the family was done ordering, the catalog went to the outhouse for "re-use". wink

(reduce, re-use, recycle is NOT a new concept!)

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see that Sears is getting ready to close another bunch of store. They used to be THE name in tools, etc. Then they discovered China & now their tools are crap. They used to have good prices but now they're priced out of the market.
They need new management, not less stores.

Sears looks to sell more assets, accelerate store closures after weak fourth quarter
Published February 09, 2016 The Wall Street Journal

Sears Holdings Corp. said Tuesday that it would sell more assets, accelerate store closures and find other ways to cut costs after revenue fell short of expectations and cash flow turned negative in the important holiday quarter.

Shares in the department-store operator fell Tuesday to their lowest levels since 2003. The stock, down 54% over the past 12 months, declined 8.8% to $15.25 in 4 p.m. trading Tuesday.

The Hoffman Estates, Ill.-based retailer run by billionaire hedge-fund manager Edward Lampert has been jettisoning assets to fund operating losses and other obligations.

Since 2012, the company has raised $9.5 billion by selling real estate and business units, including the Lands’ End clothing chain and Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores, according to Monica Aggarwal, an analyst with Fitch Ratings.

Last year alone, the company raised $3.1 billion by selling stores into joint ventures with mall owners and spinning off 266 properties into a real-estate investment trust.

As of Jan. 31, 2015, the company operated 1,725 Sears and Kmart stores. Sears used a large chunk of the money it earned from last year’s real-estate deals to reduce debt by about $1 billion.

RC,
I hope you're having a fine day there and that the family and llamas are all happy and well fed.

The "hedge fund manager" is the issue with Sears.

For a similar selling off of assets to cover debt, look into what happened to the Pacific Lumber Company. Hostile takeover of a successful business, then it ended in bankruptcy after pillaging assets (not real estate in this case, but timber)

Profit drives our economy and sometimes takes its toll in ways we don't like.

I liked Sears for the convenience. Sure Snap-On tools are great, but need something on a weekend or break a socket, Head to Sears, as you can't just get the Snap-On truck there on a phone call. And as others have mentioned, their Kenmore stuff was nothing to sneeze at, their "Roadhandler" tires were private labeled Michelins or Bridgestones (as I recall being told), I bought many a pair of quality leather work shoes there, and so on.

Sure will be different without them.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now that Playboy is outta the nekkid girls bidniz, mebee Sears could take up the slack. The trip to the outhouse would never be the same.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If they go down, I wonder how long their online parts store will stay open. I have a lot of older Craftsman stuff and I buy parts from them on occasion. They're not the cheapest but I sure can't fault their service.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Five months ago we opened a sears credit card and bought a queen size name brand mattress. It came with a 90 day comfort exchange if we didn't like it. We didn't like it. Called for an exchange. when they came to pick up our mattress we found 7 large staple wires protruding from the side about an inch. It then became a warranty issue but they were going to leave the new mattress and take away the bad one, except they brought a twin not a queen. They wanted to take both back to the warehouse but we told them we were to old to sleep on the floor for the three weeks it would take to get the right mattress. Three weeks later after at least a dozen calls to Sears explaining to different customer service(?) reps who could not transfer us to a manager but promised us they could handle the problem only to find the did not have the authority to do anything, they were to bring the right mattress. Only problem was they dropped it in the mud and it was still a twin not a queen. Another four weeks goes by with no mattress and many hours spent on the phone with customer service (???) reps not being able to connect us with a manager and not being able to help us when a manager calls my wife. She got an earful. We got our money back since we had already paid off the credit card. We went out that day and bought from another store who delivered our mattress in two days.

Sears going under, I wonder why. I know we will never buy there again. Once great line of tools they stood behind is now a bunch of China made crap. Customer service is a joke. They are getting what they deserve.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Now that Playboy is outta the nekkid girls bidniz, mebee Sears could take up the slack. The trip to the outhouse would never be the same.

shocked

Yeah, but who needs a catalog nowadays. Even in rural areas cell phone coverage is getting so good and folks are always using their phones in the head, everyone will switch to "video" on the little screen!

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Divested myself of all remaining Sears power tools many years ago. Their practice of making it a hassle for outside repair shops and individuals to buy parts while charging exorbitant prices for their service was a deal killer for me. And that was before other brands surpassed their quality by leaps and bounds.

Retail giants of old travel thin ice when they take customers for granted. How they treat their employees can be an advance indicator. Bad management has many faces. JC Pennys isn't far behind.

My employer isn't in retail, but it suffers from the same disease. Retirement is looking better every day.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have all my old sears craftsman woodworking tools.

Planer joiner.
Belt disk sander.
Router table.
400 pound table saw.
Radial arm saw.

Plus a bunch of old power and hand tools.

They lost any new business with me long ago. If it ain't cast iron precision equipment or quality to match the old stuff I'm outta there.

Going down the tubes?
Good!
They deserve it.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I've visited our local Sears at best a handful of times in the past decade. Every time I left with the sense their staff was painfully incompetent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Despite everyone's glee at watching a fine old store go down the tubes, it will be a shame to see it go.

I still have the Craftsman dial calipers my father bought me for Christmas in 1981, it's still going strong and is the only caliper I've ever needed. Same same with some older Crafstman socket sets and hand tools.

Always liked their straight forward grading system - Our "good" something, our "better" something and our "best" whatever. Made it pretty easy to do a comparison of quality/price for whatever level of stuff one needed.

Guessing that management needs to close those stores and cheapen their products to make sure their salaries, perks and bennies remain undisturbed. Someone at the C level will get a very big year end bonus for this as well.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain't happy seeing it go down.
But after what they've done I won't lament it either.

I will miss it, however.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah.. used to be able to buy anything through Sears catalogs.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun

[Linked Image]

They must have sold bathrooms on a different page.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by joken2
s after the Sears/Kmart merger

Kmart was a failed company with access to credit. They used that credit to buy a successful company, Sears.

Kmart was tone deaf to their customer's desires and clueless about technologies like point-of-sale/bar codes.

The colossal incompetence and hubris of Kmart management tanked Sears as well.

Kmart should have been allowed to die, just like the TBTF banks should have been parted out in a rational, controlled way.

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by Calhoun

[Linked Image]

They must have sold bathrooms on a different page.

Prob still had out houses in those days.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.