Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Im wanting a 45-70 long range gun to shoot paper and steel gongs out to 300 yards off a bench at my local club just for giggles.i plan on sticking with iron sights.I want something accurate. Ive looked at the H&R Buffalo classic but its discontinued.Any opinions?

GB1

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
have a Ruger 1S I'd part with, but it won't be cheap.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get a Sharps and don't look back.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have several that I can honestly recommend..

An 1885 Browning BPCR model that came with excellent sights. Discontinued but I am sure they turn up used.

I have another 1885, Winchester branded with 28 barrel, pistol grip and tang mounted sights. very nice gun. All the 1885 are made for one year these days. So; it would have to be found. These gun are just brutal terrible with a crescent steel butt, you want rubber.

Shiloh Sharps, worth the wait or go looking. If you are frugal with the options or just get a standard gun the cost is only a little more than a Pedersoli and 200% better gun. Once more, the shotgun butt plate is a must have no curved steel.

I have a Lipsey Ruger No1, with a scope and while not as accurate as the Miruko guns (or shiloh) it is a solid choice if you can find a Lipsey 26" barrel model.

The H&R is probably fine and a lot less money for I would image just as much fun. I see them used from time to time. Probably a good place to start. You can always pay more later.

I am not very impressed with the Italian 45/70 in any model rolling block or sharps. [[I do like Uberti, but I dont think they ever did a 45/70.]] Cabelas does carry the eye ties for those who lack the where-with-all to shop around or wait for a better option. And these cabelas guns have the for looks only killer steel butt plates. Sharper the better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read pieces by people who know this stuff that the Pedersoli Sharps is considered a bit above the other Italian copies in both strength and accuracy. It's fairly popular among starting BP silhouette shooters. Serious shooters end up with rebarrelled original single-shots or better American repros. As someone mentioned, the Browning BPCRs are highly regarded as well, if you can find one. While the Brownings are probably strong enough for smokeless, I believe they are marked "Black Powder Only" or something of the sort. You didn't say if you were planning on shooting BP or smokeless.

Don't know what your budget is, but none of the Browning/Winchester, Sharps repros, or CF Rolling Blocks are cheap. Figure on at least a grand, even used.

If you're not firmly wedded to the idea of a .45/70, there are other options out there, from rimfires to stuff like .30/30s and .38/55s that would also be fun and easier on your shoulder.

Taylors & Company is a good place to start looking.
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/29/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If you're flexible, I bought my Ruger Number 1 Tropical 458 win mag used for $500. It uses the same .458 bullets as a 45-70, large rifle magnum primers and a lot of the same powders.

Unless you run max loads your brass will last a long time.

I wanted the same thing as you but found my deal and couldn't say no. My 458 will do everything a 45-70 can do. smile

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Need to know how much are you willing to spend.

No use making a recommendation 'bout a rifle and sights if the combination will be out of your price range....

Last edited by Ray Newman; 03/01/16.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own a couple of Rugers, and a Shiloh. Does the OP want to shoot black powder, or smokeless?

If by iron sights the OP means tang sights, then the #1 is problematic. The safety is in the way. That can be fixed, but not easily. You can get receiver sights to fit the rib, but the adjustment range is limited. I have one on my .458, and it works fine.

The Miroku Brownings/Winchesters with the tang sights are pretty slick, and will have very fine barrels. The curved crescent buttplates IMO are MIroku's subtle way of discouraging heavy loads smile They will usually shoot well.

There are folks making High Wall reproductions in the USA, such as Ballard Rifle and C. Sharps, and even CPA building a Stevens 44½ reproduction. I forget who, but there's a Remington Hepburn reproduction out there. These options are all basically semi-custom guns, and cost as much as a Shiloh.

The Shiloh 1874 - even if you don't ante up for fancy wood and engraving - is a work of art, and will shoot with just about anything. I suspect someday Shilohs will be valuable heirlooms. The C. Sharps is nice as well.

The Rugers are bull strong, and if you get a black pad gun (Ruger made hammer forged barrel) it will likely shoot well. I don't run black powder in them, however.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Long range you say?

This was at 1500 yards with a Browning .45-70 and black powder. As other have noted, there are several brands and models of BPCRs that are accurate to 300 yards and well beyond. Good used ones don't grow on trees, but they aren't exactly scarce either.

Paul

[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a Browning .45/70 BPCR on Gunbroker now. Current bid is $1601. Looks very clean. There are also a number of hunting models in chambered in .375, .45/70, and maybe a couple others. 16 1/2" Trapper models in .30/40 and .45/70 start at $999. Those look like a little too much "fun" for me.

For the OP, there are also three used Buffalo Hunters available as well at under $400.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/01/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If one's in the market for chronic vertical stringing by design, and the poorest extraction in God's creation, that "Buffalo Hunter" is just the ticket.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=crossfireoops]If one's in the market for chronic vertical stringing by design, and the poorest extraction in God's creation, that "Buffalo Hunter" is just the ticket.

so you have had one or you just being an ass?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by barnabus
[quote=crossfireoops]If one's in the market for chronic vertical stringing by design, and the poorest extraction in God's creation, that "Buffalo Hunter" is just the ticket.

so you have had one or you just being an ass?

I've rebarrelled a couple or three,the stock barrels were a joke with proper ammunition, and WAY to light,... fitted them with honest to God tangs that will accept a real, and well tuned Soulle Sight, and than spotted for these guns in NRA BPCR competition events. One fellow was a damned fine shot,...he could drive tacks with anything you handed him.
The folks that I built em' for, and I will verify their POS / chitiness as and when required, for as long and as in depth as you require, Sir.
Tech tip,....grind a relief cut into the breechface of the barrel to accept a svelte little dull screwdriver that you WILL keep hanging around your wrist, so's to pry your fired cases out when that pathetic spring loaded contraption they called an "ejector" starts whining.

Good deer hunting rifle, if that's all you can afford,...a CHEAP .45-70, ...an accurate and repeatably reliable rifle,...Nope, You lose.

I am emphatically NOT being an "ass", what's YOUR story ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/15/16.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That sure dont seem to be what other reviews are reporting.maybe its the jerk behind the trigger that causes the vertical stringing.its not a matter of what i can afford sir thats not why i bought it.either way maybe you should have stated all that in ur first post.try to learn some social media skills and a little humility.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good morning Gentlemen. I hope you don't mind me stepping in on this but I have one of the reproduction H&R Scouts. I have spoken with Crossfire about this in the past and unfortunately he is correct. I had never thought about the Stringing issue until I read this thread but now realize it is a problem with mine. The ejection issue is real although I have not had it quite to the degree Crossfire displays yet I do have to physically pull out each spent casing. And it gets tighter as more Rounds are fired through it.

Being a Break Breech with a short Barrel has it's draw backs. Looking back, I really should have bought something with a longer Barrel for long range use. It is what it is...a short Saddle Rifle intended to knock down a Buffalo for dinner from no more than 100 yards and requires chamber cleaning between each Buffalo.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Good morning Gentlemen. I hope you don't mind me stepping in on this but I have one of the reproduction H&R Scouts. I have spoken with Crossfire about this in the past and unfortunately he is correct. I had never thought about the Stringing issue until I read this thread but now realize it is a problem with mine. The ejection issue is real although I have not had it quite to the degree Crossfire displays yet I do have to physically pull out each spent casing. And it gets tighter as more Rounds are fired through it.

Being a Break Breech with a short Barrel has it's draw backs. Looking back, I really should have bought something with a longer Barrel for long range use. It is what it is...a short Saddle Rifle intended to knock down a Buffalo for dinner from no more than 100 yards and requires chamber cleaning between each Buffalo.

I repeat...It does not seem to be the norm. I have goggled and read hundreds of pages on this rifle and this is the first bad report of stringing. I would imagine if it was so for every rifle that it would show up in reviews of peoples experiences. I do know of the stock issue needed either bedded or a the least a washer or something installed to float the barrel. Im not convinced this is the standard for this rifle but accept that there could be a lemon here and there like anything else.Im not saying it could use some refinements but Im only shooting gongs out to say 300yards max. It is... what it is.Thanks for your pleasant comments.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by barnabus
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

I repeat...It does not seem to be the norm. I have goggled and read hundreds of pages on this rifle and this is the first bad report of stringing. I would imagine if it was so for every rifle that it would show up in reviews of peoples experiences. I do know of the stock issue needed either bedded or a the least a washer or something installed to float the barrel. Im not convinced this is the standard for this rifle but accept that there could be a lemon here and there like anything else.Im not saying it could use some refinements but Im only shooting gongs out to say 300yards max. It is... what it is.Thanks for your pleasant comments.

Thank you for the reply. Yep...it is fun to shoot even though It has it's drawbacks. For myself I think the biggest is that they are Break Breech Action and there is little that can be done with Floating & Etc. I think in this Caliber this design was a mistake, Shotguns yes, 45-70 no. As things wear it will just get worse.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AHhhh, brand loyalty,....

Thing wouldn't make a pimple on a real buffalo gun's azz.
Anybody that thinks one of those abortions will shoot AND FUNCTION as well as a good falling block, or rolling block has read to many "reviews".

Fugg Social media skills, go burn cases of powder, and toss tons of lead down range,...than discuss shooting skills, and rifle performance as relates to actual DESIGN.

GTC

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
AHhhh, brand loyalty,....

Thing wouldn't make a pimple on a real buffalo gun's azz.
Anybody that thinks one of those abortions will shoot AND FUNCTION as well as a good falling block, or rolling block has read to many "reviews".

Fugg Social media skills, go burn cases of powder, and toss tons of lead down range,...than discuss shooting skills, and rifle performance as relates to actual DESIGN.

GTC

No not brand loyalty as I have never owned one before now.Neither did I suggest they were on par with other such as a Sharps. It was stated (if you can read) as a "fun gun" not looking to shoot BPCR matches. If you would have stated your information in a different way it could have been received differently.Its obvious you are a purist and a know it all.I see you have no problem having others consider your opinion or your reviews on things as the gospel since you comment on everything with over 4000 plus comments to your account. Thanks for pissing on my thread with your superior knowledge.You spend way too much time on the internet.If you have that much time you cant be all that great at shooting.Thanks for nothing.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
"45-70", "long range" and "fun" in the same sentence spells blackpowder, cast bullets and shooting sticks for me. I'd want something that could accommodate a vernier tang site and had some length / weight in the barrel. In fact, I have more fun shooting these two than any other firearms I've ever owned:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 3,338 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,505
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.