Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
huntsman,

I tried the recycled primers purely in the interests of science, since I normally have over 50,000 new primers on hand.

Perhaps I have too much curiosity or skepticism, since I often run shooting experiments to see if what "everybody knows" is actually true. At least half the time it isn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RememberBaker,

The deliberately "contaminated" primers still went bang because almost all primers have been sealed against oil and moisture for quite a while now. The warning that we should always wash our hands to avoid getting the slightest trace of skin-oil or case-lube on primers has been BS for a long time.

But one of the reasons so many things we "know" about handloading aren't true is they were true at one time. It's the same with lots of other stuff. The idea that "searing" meat keeps juices inside started in the 1850's, with a then well-known cooking writer, was proven false long before 1900. Yet we still hear the claim frequently today, even from some people who should know better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I do it as others say, just deprime as you would anything else, though I do ensure I have the proper PPE.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That thing on your wrist is overkill.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fire them.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just throwing in 2 cents more in favor of carefully depriming live primers. Can't say how many I've done but recently sold 195 pieces of 6mm brass of which 96 had already been primed with Federal 210's. Didn't want to do the haz-mat thing so deprimed all of them before shipping. I know I've deprimed a bunch before that as well and never tried to kill the primers first.

IMO the main thing is just don't whack the primer with the decapping pin. Ease the case in until you feel the pin contact the primer and then gently push it out. I have a Lee universal decapper die which gets used for that since you can easily feel the pin contact the primer. Plus it has uses for other chores when I want to decap but not size.

Was tempted to recycle those 96 Federal 210's from the 6mm brass but it didn't seem worth the effort, so I scattered them in a rug I knew someone would be vacuuming soon..... whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... Perhaps I have too much curiosity or skepticism, since I often run shooting experiments to see if what "everybody knows" is actually true. At least half the time it isn't.

Well, it still is "true" for those that "know" that it is so, no matter what evidence there might be to the contrary. There are many people who are so gifted as to have understanding beyond reality. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
A vacuum won't even set them off. Intentionally tried that once. They just make a click and get sucked up like any other debris.

They do add quite an ambiance if placed under the log rack of a fireplace. Once the coals drop down they start poppin off pretty good.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I do it as others say, just deprime as you would anything else, though I do ensure I have the proper PPE.

[Linked Image]

I appreciate the extra padding around the important parts.

But; WHAT, NO GLOVES?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
purely in the interests of science

I thought you was a loony, not a scientist....

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I will as I know you will keep the snide remarks coming.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by KenMi
A vacuum won't even set them off. Intentionally tried that once. They just make a click and get sucked up like any other debris.

They do add quite an ambiance if placed under the log rack of a fireplace. Once the coals drop down they start poppin off pretty good.

Hmmmm........I sure hope you did not vacuum up any ......say...flour, sawdust, sugar, gunpowder or other flammable dust along with those primers.

The dust containment vessel on our vacuum is about one gallon capacity. It would make for one hell of a bang if a dust explosion were to happen.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
POOF!!!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Now I understand the "Steelhead" moniker. laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Hmmmm........I sure hope you did not vacuum up any ......say...flour, sawdust, sugar, gunpowder or other flammable dust along with those primers.

The dust containment vessel on our vacuum is about one gallon capacity. It would make for one hell of a bang if a dust explosion were to happen.

Chances are higher with a spark from a static shock doing the same. Like I said, they don't detonate in a vac.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my 50+ years of reloading I have never had a live primer detonate when I was depriming. I just went slow.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
did you change shorts?

Nope. I have set them off several times over the years and it isn't a big deal at all as long as no powder is present.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I've deprimed 50 BMG live primers after soaking some in water and some in Kroil for about 3 weeks, none went off during the depriming, so I built a fire in a steel container and tossed them in a few at a time and all but a couple went bang. I suspect the few that did not go bang went flying from the others going bang.
Ronnie

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

[Linked Image]

Pure carelessness there altogether inadequate.

Seriously I can't believe some people here even get in their cars to go to work. Amazing.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Funny you would say that. Many, many years ago my loading bench was a piece of 2x12 clamped to a desk in a spare room which was carpeted. My wife had a lost primer go off in the vacuum cleaner. She was NOT impressed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.