Print Thread
Hop To
C
cs2blue Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
We could not figure out what/ why our deer were so jacked up. Mystery solved. Yotes, at least two maybe three. I have tried morning and evening calling, Blown calls,distressed rabbit,Nothing has been seen or heard. I have been out 9 different times with nothing/ no result. Last night it was 10 degrees, with zero wind chill. Nothing. I am not using a decoy, and do not have a electronic caller. Any ideas would be helpful. Also not alot of sign. Game camera dimed them out.

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wind direction,odor,movement, noise you make from leaving your rig.keep your hunting clothes away from other odors.type of call and loudness, too loud only makes them run the other way.

Patience, keep a log of what you did and if you were successful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here in TN & VA they are pairing up to mate. Off my Trail Cam in VA a couple weeks back. Use Coyote vocal sounds and you should do better.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hunting coyotes in the east is a different game.

I'm they use the landscape a lot more and take their time circling to get the wind of their "prey".

Our best hunting comes at night and early morning, especially on very cold days.

One of our best tactics has been hunting the river by boat setting the call up on open gravel edges of beach, and gravel bars, allowing us a good sized area to scan with the kights. We then motor about 25 yards up wind of the call and anchor, wait ten minutes or so and start calling with low to medium sounds. I always start out with rabbit in distress, and the entire move to other calls like coyote pup, especially this time of year.

What we have figured out, in regards to the river hunting is that they don't anticipate danger coming from the water and tend to respond to the call much faster and more relaxed than they do in field set ups

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
cs2blue Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am calling into the wind but watching downwind. Figuring they approach from down wind. I tried to mix up my calling loud and soft. Wearing snow camo at the moment. i have read that coyote pup calling is a good way to go but i do not have a blown call as of yet. I have tried a howler call at night just to see if they would answer it but nothing has. I will focus on the coyote calls and see what happens. Does hunting at night offer any better results? We have to kill these yotes!

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sine coyotes primarily hunt at night yes, it does.

Try hunting from tree stands

And if you don't hear them give the stand 20 minutes to a half hour and move on

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't know your area but around here the problem is the number of people trying their hand at calling. Also, don't over call in the same area. I know guys that will hit the same property every weekend and wonder why they don't call anything, the coyotes figure it out and just ignore your calls, they probably check your stand location after you leave. I've seen this by tracks in the snow. You should consider trapping/snaring if you can, it's usually more effective at taking numbers when working with a "group" of coyotes on a property. Mix trapping with calling, I've called near trap sets and had coyotes come in after I left to check out the stand location and they ended up in my trap.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In East ky. I use rodent distress calls, if no answer after about 30 mins I try a bird distress.

As far as decoys, I've had as much luck with a piece of white trash bag or a spinning wing dove decoy.

I'll place one of the above in a briar patch, just deep enough to make it look like a stranded/wounded bird.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.