Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
So I am minding my own business at the local pawn/gun shop late yesterday afternoon doing a final perusal for the day when the owner opens up a Ruger gray plastic case and what comes out but a GP-100 in 22 L.R.
I had never seen one before and waited my turn to handle it.
It is a ten shot stainless steel double action revolver with nifty fiber optic sights and a pleasing (to my eye and to my hand) combo grip made of wood and something synthetic.
I have always been a little "hesitant" regarding revolvers with more than 6 holes in the cylinders - I don't know why?
Maybe it has something to do with a High Standard 9 shot revolver I used to shoot decades ago - it belonged to a friend of mine and was obviously abused at some point because it shaved lead badly?
Anyway I have had chances to by some "high capacity" revolvers over the years and I have passed on them.
Anyway I have just a few minutes to handle this Ruger GP-100 as the local boys basketball team is about to tip-off against their arch rivals (Hamilton Broncs) and I need to be at that game.
I literally LIKED everything about this nifty pistol including its ample heft - I think it was a 6" barrel model.
I decide to put the GP-100 to the ultimate non-shooting test of quality/manufacture.
I am going to test it for what I call "moment of detonation lock up".
I double check the cylinder for emptiness and cock the pistol and while holding the trigger fully back I carefully lower the exposed hammer and then while keeping the trigger fully depressed I attempt to move/rotate the cylinder.
This brand new Ruger GP-100 had absolutely NO cylinder rotation - I mean it did not move 1/1,000 of an inch movement!
I only tried the one cylinder due to time restraints.
For those not familiar with this test normal cylinder rotation in this test for a QUALITY new revolver is 3 to 5 one thousandths of an inch!
This pistol had NONE!
I was amazed.
By the way I have seen USED revolvers (some in magnum calibers) that had 10 one thousandths of an inch in rotation in the firing position!
This much movement does NOTHING to improve accuracy/safety.
Back to the GP-100 - The price was hefty at $610.00 (IIRC) and I plan on looking it over again once the store re-opens on Tuesday.
Anyone own one of these GP-100's in 22 L.R.?
If so how do you like it?
I was impressed with it - and that's from someone who is not much of a Ruger double action revolver fan.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've handled a couple of them that have come through the shop lately. I assume they are well made and I doubt you can shoot one loose. But IMO they are way too big and heavy for a rimfire and I own and love 38/44 S&Ws. I also hate FO sights with a passion so they don't have that going either with me. And for the money a guy could buy a darn nice used K22, which I consider a much nicer gun.

BTW a little end play at lockup is a good thing, too tight and it doesn't let the bullets self align in the throat, robbing accuracy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
TheKid: I think a bullet would "align" better at the instant of ignition if it didn't have "wobble" built in to the cylinder?
I know several pistol smiths who tried to time/align the cylinder and remove any wobble - they asserted that this improved accuracy in bullseye type competition pistols - I guess I always just assumed they were correct.
I am not THAT much of a pistolero to know for certain though.
The complete absence of cylinder wobble though does impress me with todays manufacturing methods!
I do know a TON (I mean that literally 2,000+ pounds of) pistol team members who paid good money to have their revolvers timed.
Revolvers are somewhat out of style anymore for competitions but I still admire/trust them for certain applications.
Now as for weight - I firmly disagree with you on this point - if you want accuracy (especially in a double action revolver!) then weight is an asset - not just in sight alignment but in trigger control (I can shoot my 4" S&W Model 686 better than my 4" Model 19 S&W!) - wieight I am sure IS the factor here.
And the fiber optic sights are a personal preference option - to my aging eyes they are a BIG benefit for any daytime application.
I have several varieties of Smith & Wesson 22 rimfires including:
Model 17 with 8 3/8" barrel (2 of these - 1 N.I.B)
Model 48 with 8 3/8" barrel
Model 48 with 4" barrel
Model 34 with 2" barrel (2 of these)
Model 647 with 8 3/8" barrel
Model 63 with 2" barrel
Model 18 with 4" barrel (2 of these)
Model 63 with 4" barrel
Model 34 nickel plated with 4" barrel (N.I.B.)
Model 651 with 4" barrel
I have shot a lot of Smith & Wesson rimfire revolvers and have as yet to find one "lacking" in accuracy - I will grant that.
But I would NOT trade any of the above pistols of mine for the GP-100 as they are all MORE valuable to me than a GP-100 would be/is.
I hope someone gets a GP-100 soon and gives an accuracy/handling report to us.
Thanks for your insights.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would love to have one if offered with a 4 inch barrel

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I've handled a couple of them that have come through the shop lately. I assume they are well made and I doubt you can shoot one loose. But IMO they are way too big and heavy for a rimfire and I own and love 38/44 S&Ws. I also hate FO sights with a passion so they don't have that going either with me. And for the money a guy could buy a darn nice used K22, which I consider a much nicer gun.

BTW a little end play at lockup is a good thing, too tight and it doesn't let the bullets self align in the throat, robbing accuracy
Without seeing one that was my first impression when first hearing about them.

Had a Colt Trooper Mk III .22, 6" model as well as one in .357. As a magnum it was a great revolver but as a .22 it was as you state "way too big and heavy for a rimfire". Too big to start with and the extra metal in the barrel and cylinder added several unneeded ounces.

I sure do like the GP-100 series revolvers but to me it seems like too much of a good thing. However I'm sure some folks will find it just right. Good on Ruger for offering so many choices.

Wish I still had that Trooper .22, though, as I'm sure it would go for a pretty penny these days. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bea175: I am NOT up on Ruger revolvers at all but my local pawn/gunshop had in a smaller framed Ruger double action stainless 4" pistol in 22 L.R. a few months back - it sold quickly.
Could it have been an SPS-100 in 22 L.R.?
But maybe you wish to have/use the larger frame with the 4" barrel?
Maybe I'll do a Ruger site search.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Bea175: Well that didn't take long Ruger does have an easy to navigate website at "Sturm Ruger Company" something.
The pistol I saw a few months back was a Ruger SP-101 in 22 L.R. with a 4.20" barrel.
It is much smaller than the GP-100 as it is only 30 ounces as compared to the GP-100 at 42 ounces - again the "extra" mass is MUCH more desirable to me and my many and varied uses and needs.
When I checked the GP-100 spec site it only shows the 5.50" barrel model?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
All: The GP-100 sold already, at $650.00 (that was the asking price - I am not sure what it actually sold for) but the store says another one is due in shortly.
I know the buyer pretty well and will invite myself to shoot it as soon as practicable.
I will report back when I get a chance to shoot this pistol.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a neat gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.