Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
West tx in those temps hands down the quick is a 6-8 man tipi, not cheap though.

With wood stove if you desire.

If not wife and I sleep down to around +10 every fall in AK, in zero degree wiggy bags and she is cold natured. We sleep together if it gets colder, but has not so far...

Good ground pad is a must. We just started with the cabela's 3 inch foam pad last fall in AK, its enough to keep us off the ground and insulated so far.

Tipis take no time to set up, Put a few stakes in and raise the pole...

But for me, if I was around a vehicle, I'd just as quickly put the bag in the seat and crawl in... Granted I"m only 51 but I sleep in the back seat of my F350 a few times a year in a good bag in the 20s with never a complaint.

I have done it in the bed before too, but you better have a good thick warm pad under you. Steel truck beds conduct cold really well I've found...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
#1. get out of the wind

#2 stay dry not much of a problem in W Texas generally.

Expected temp? Activity? For sleeping or around camp?

I'm assuming you know how to keep warm while hunting wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If a vehicle is carrying the weight, staying warm in a tent is easy. Until you get out of the sleeping bag!

My formula is 1) cot 2) insulating pad (cheap is ok) 3) Phat sleeping bag. I use the Therma-rest backpacker cot if room is an issue. That thing works. Warning -- put padding under the feet or it will wear a hole in your tent. Given the room, I use a bigger cot. Or preferably my 6-foot Toyota truck bed with a topper smile

There are many tricks regarding what to wear inside a sleeping bag, but I'll just say it needs to be dry and you need a beanie cap. I also sleep with snacks and a pee bottle within reach. No getting out in the cold to pee for me.

If you want to be warm out of the bag, look at the Little Buddy line of products.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For safe heat nearly all night, while you sleep, hard to beat one of the smaller size outfitter stoves in a tipi. Otherwise have a look at the zodi tent heaters or a propex heater mounted in a tool box.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I love sleeping in the cold. A good 15 degree mummy bag, a good pad, and some good long johns and you'll be fine. Get mummy'd up and sleep like a baby.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A two burner Coleman lantern will warm a 4 man dome tent. Fire up a burner for cooking, and one will likely have to open the door to cool things down. Other than that, simply get a good bag.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/17/16.

1Minute
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We use a cylinder woodstove in the wall tent, and 12-man tipi.

In a Cabelas 8-man guide tent we have used a Buddy heater with 20lb jug, and even a single mantle Coleman lantern warmed it up well in the 30s.

Getting ready to venture into the lightweight titanium stove world, for our 6-man tipi.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I will add that one of the biggest factor in staying warm is a good stocking cap that stays on. Keeping that heat from escaping from the top of your head makes a huge difference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a good bag and a good pad. Then when it's really cold out.--I open up a 8 or 10 hour hot-hand hand warmer. Pop it down in my sleeping bag. Easy money staying warm and getting a good night sleep.

It works for me and a few of my buddies.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not a lot of experience with packing in, but when I've done so and it is cold I place a hot hands inside the beanie before putting it on.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I will add that one of the biggest factor in staying warm is a good stocking cap that stays on. Keeping that heat from escaping from the top of your head makes a huge difference.

This x 1000. If your dome-piece gets cold, good luck staying warm.

Tanner

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hmmmm. grin

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Notice I said "stays on".. (grin) I had one beanie on a hunt that would work it's way off during the night. Wake up freezing cold, find it, put it back on, and be warm again in 10 minutes. I know they supposedly debunked the myth of heat escaping through your head, but every experience I have had either cold weather camping or winter fishing has told me to keep my head covered with a beanie.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

Notice I said "stays on".. (grin) I had one beanie on a hunt that would work it's way off during the night. Wake up freezing cold, find it, put it back on, and be warm again in 10 minutes. I know they supposedly debunked the myth of heat escaping through your head, but every experience I have had either cold weather camping or winter fishing has told me to keep my head covered with a beanie.

No doubt, they like to come off in a mummy bag often! I've taken to either using a beanie with strings that'll tie under the chin or putting a hood on over the beanie as an extra layer. Seems to work well.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its been pretty much covered.

A good pad, bag and a nightcap. I use a wool watch cap.

Leave the heaters for the wall tents or a "hang out" shelter.

If you need a warm layer for when you don't want to get up, don't wear them, but throw them in your bag or throw them in the bag sack or pad bag for a pillow. You don't need extra layers in a bag that works.

A good bag taller than you are is vital.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The concept of heat loss through the head has not been debunked, just the exaggerated % that had been given.

In 2006, scientists revisited the question. They tested subjects in cold water with and without wetsuits, sometimes with their heads out of water and sometimes with their heads submerged. They found that the head accounts for about 7 percent of the body’s surface area, and the heat loss is fairly proportional to the amount of skin that’s showing.

At most, according to a 2008 report in BMJ, a person loses 7 percent to 10 percent of their body heat through their head.

FWIW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One other thing I tend to do is eat something before I hit the sack. Food digestion burns calories which helps you stay warm. I eat when I'm cold during the day too.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An added trick I learned a while back, when it is really cold, zip your shell or jacket closed and slide your sleeping bag into it from the bottom end. The added layer covers your feet and up your legs, really helps. Also, be careful buying a bag too long, the added space may seem comfy, but it traps cold air.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Keep It simple...We have lived Outdoors more than Indoors most of our lives. A 4x4 Wagon long enough to sleep in the back, a good Mattress, and good Sleeping Bags. Turn key...Start Motor...Heater on. smile

We raised our Kids out Camping in a 75 Chevy "Bubble Top" RV Van. Just landed all the Drivetrain and Suspension to make the old Van 4x4. My next project will be to rebuild the interior and install the 4x4 parts.

The Kids will be fighting over who will get to park it at their house for the Grandkids. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A Mountain House warms you up for about an hour when you are freezing your arse off.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.