Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Yeah, no one actually backpack hunts in the cold...or do they?

Here is a Sheep Hunt:

[Linked Image]

Filled my Ewe tag:

[Linked Image]

Backstraps for Supper:

[Linked Image]

Nice warm Crossing Here:

[Linked Image]

We Had 18" of Snow and 0F Temps on an early October Hunt:

[Linked Image]

Ed T

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's just not realistic.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pics Ed.

Tanner

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by smokepole

So true, must be photoshopped!

Ed T

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Tanner
Nice pics Ed.

Tanner

Thanks Tanner. Those were very memorable trips, partly because of the weather.

Ed T

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ed_T

Backstraps for supper, no way!!

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Another Photoshopped image for sure. 😀

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, as evidenced by the epic tome and expansive real estate inside the "tent," totally unrealistic for a backpack hunt. You are a very keen observer. It was actually a goat-pack hunt with a 16-man tipi:

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Question if I may...you are not talking about backpacking, are you?

You seem to be aiming more at a base camp and packing from there.

Originally Posted by lubbockdave
[Yes, I'm looking for more of a base camp type deal. But I'm prefer something quick and easy lightweight, lightweight, and very portable. I don't want to put up a $500 canvas tent for a quick overNight hunt. I figured this Forum was the closest I could find to gather information from some experts.

OP^^^^

OK guys I get it. I understand you take your "backpack hunting" very serious. smile But I was working off of the above statements and all the suggestions offered about Tipis, Cabin Tents, Wood Stoves, Propane Stoves with 25Lb cans and Etc.

Come on, you have to admit that these suggestions are a bit impractical for backpacking and still hauling out Game right? So I'm not the only one off track here Guys. lol

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

[Linked Image]

Did you actually "Pack" this Stove out 6 miles? If so why?

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, as long as we're talking about photoshopped pics showing improbable scenes, how about these?

Obviously re-touched, nobody "backpacks" on a pile of rocks!!

[Linked Image]

This one is just ridiculous!! This poor fellow is 20 miles from the nearest road in the Alaska backcounttry, and appears to be just out for a stroll, picking up sheds!! There's just no way!! People like Tanner will tell you they've actually been to these spots, but don't you believe 'em!!

[Linked Image]

Here's a guy in Colorado, with a backpack full of elk meat, 4 miles from the road. And he wants us to believe he's up there playing balance beam, crossing that stream? No way!!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

[Linked Image]

Did you actually "Pack" this Stove out 6 miles? If so why?

No, I did not. I cannot tell a lie. The goats did. Prior post edited to add more improbable photos!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My point was that Hunting out only 6 miles from Base Camp without the need to stay the night is no problem. 20 miles out would be different of course, Kudos and Full Respect for those who do Hunt out that far. smile

Back to covering a lot of Ground. Just a couple years ago I hiked right past lots of folks with full overnight packs as I was climbing Pikes Peak Via Barr Trail. Roughly 13 miles uphill Bottom to top in only one full day.

And no I did not cheat by riding the Incline Rail up Mount Manitou, I started from the bottom Trail Head. This was the 4th time I hiked this Trail since I was a teenager. I have to admit it was much harder this last time, age is indeed creeping up on me. smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My point was that Hunting out only 6 miles from Base Camp without the need to stay the night is no problem.

Well, I would disagree with that. The problem is, if you want to hunt the same spot tomorrow you're looking at a 12-mile round trip to do it. And using a lot of time hiking back and forth when you could be hunting. If you camp 6 miles in, hunting 8 miles in is a breeze. If you camp at the trailhead that's a 16-mile daily roundtrip.

Anyone who can climb 14-ers can manage a backpack hunt. You should consider trying one, you never now, you might like it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Goats! Very Ingenious! I think the concept is Fantastic!

But it's not really "Backpacking" is it? I think it is fantastic but you have a Train of Pack Animals here to carry the better part of your Camp and load for you right? smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
YOu can do the long days... even 6 miles out.... Carolyn and I have done the 12 out and 12 back in a few times in CO elk hunting.

I"d have sure preffered to have taken a paratarp which we later bought... along and stayed and got more rest...

It sure helps to be able to get out and stay until dark, and be there in the morning, rather than getting back at midnight and up at 2-3 again...

I"ve done Sheep Mountain in a day by myself on foot, never did do Pikes, but figure Sheep was not that far off anyway... IIRC less than 1000 feet difference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

But it's not really "Backpacking" is it? I think it is fantastic but you have a Train of Pack Animals here to carry the better part of your Camp and load for you right? smile

Bugout, I was fortunate enough to do a trip with goats exactly once. They belong to a friend, not me. Every other year, it's a backpack for me.

But you're right, it is ingenious, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I do it with llamas. Is it backpacking? Close enough. Who cares if you carry the pack or if an animal does? You get to the same place to hunt. Pack animals also allow you to carry a bit more comfort. I can literally buy another llama for less money than some of the ultralight tents on the market. Besides, working with trained pack stock is a lot of fun. It adds much to the hunt and the back country adventure.

These guys are packing my buddy's deer last fall.
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't mind the hiking in and out that many miles each day. Back to the beginning...I do mind Carrying an unneeded extra load back out that many miles if I happen to score a large kill. It could make the difference of bringing the Meat back in one trip or having to make two trips.

Now don't get me wrong...I have hiked out and stayed the night many many times. But with our weather here during season there is no need for more than a Ground Tarp, a Heavy Blanket, a Canteen and a Big Bag of Trailmix.

In fact I used to go out the afternoon before and hole up in a spot where the "Morning Hunters" would drive the animals right in front of my position.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"d rather hike in that far, then set up a spike, and then hunt furhter out/in from there.

BTDT tied to truck camp, if the animals are further in it really sucks... if not, you can adjust.

Wife and I did bivy bags one year, they were ok too in decent weather.... nothing like keep moving until you find elk sign and then start camping...

if we killed, take care if it, then head back to the truck where ever it was with the first load plus our gear, and from then on it was what we could do going in and out during daylight hours mostly...

But I hear ya.

Ever get hold of Lloyd?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,872 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,617
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.