Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rost495
I"d rather hike in that far, then set up a spike, and then hunt furhter out/in from there.

BTDT tied to truck camp, if the animals are further in it really sucks... if not, you can adjust.

Wife and I did bivy bags one year, they were ok too in decent weather.... nothing like keep moving until you find elk sign and then start camping...

if we killed, take care if it, then head back to the truck where ever it was with the first load plus our gear, and from then on it was what we could do going in and out during daylight hours mostly...

But I hear ya.

Ever get hold of Lloyd?

No...I still need to try and contact him. smile I confess...I am guilty of posting here defending myself from "Backpackers" who use "Pack Animals" and have been very busy with my off line responsibilities the rest of the day.

I guess they missed the part where I have indeed used Pack Horses Hunting locally most of my life but I would not consider this as true "Backpacking". In fact Anyone who has Hunted from Horseback will tell you it is the only way to go.

To the Deer and Elk you are just another four legged beast and you can darn near ride right up to them. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've hunted from horseback and it's not the only way to go. If it was, there would be no backpacking forum for you to argue with backpackers on.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've hunted from horseback and it's not the only way to go. If it was, there would be no backpacking forum for you to argue with backpackers on.

True smile But if you would be so kind as to read back through from the beginning I hid nothing. I have no choice but to view this topic of Weight differently than most, I only weigh 140Lbs soaking wet so I have had to adapt and use techniques accordingly. smile

Unfortunately Packing back out 6 miles carrying 150Lbs because of added Camping Gear is not an option for me. And I would rather not make two trips to get all the Meat out. So I hunt the way I have to. Packing out around 100 pounds of Meat in one trip I have and can indeed get done.

Seriously, I will be the first to admit I am NOT Superman. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not either. My guide on the sheep hunt weighed the same as you. Maybe 145. He carried more than I did at every turn and had frequent rest stops waiting for me to catch up. I watched him strap on a pack weighing well over 100 lbs and climb up the side of a mountain, 3000 vertical feet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In all fairness, your guide is an absolute freak of nature and most folks his size and weight would shat themselves before making it halfway with a pack that heavy. He's been doing pretty good on the lynx and wolverines this winter....

Tanner

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

True smile But if you would be so kind as to read back through from the beginning I hid nothing. I have no choice but to view this topic of Weight differently than most, I only weigh 140Lbs soaking wet so I have had to adapt and use techniques accordingly. smile

Unfortunately Packing back out 6 miles carrying 150Lbs because of added Camping Gear is not an option for me. And I would rather not make two trips to get all the Meat out. So I hunt the way I have to. Packing out around 100 pounds of Meat in one trip I have and can indeed get done.

Seriously, I will be the first to admit I am NOT Superman. smile

LOL< you won't get an elk or moose out in 100 pounds.

But deer, yeah...I couldn't even handle a full caribou bull in my pack... 1/2 the bull about killed me for the 3 hour hike in that morning and then the 6 hour hike out again... even though I begged to stay with the animal that night, my buddy was by far smarter.... that bag in the tent was nice and warm that night...

IT was the LAST time I've ever not had at least some kind of camp in my pack...

Well except for wondering around in the swamps for deer here in TX.. then I carry enough to survive a warm night out wiht enough room to carry the deer out after I shot in one trip.

One trip in a lot of places where you don't deal with deer, just ain't even close to being in the cards.

Shoot Lloyd a note!!!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tanner
In all fairness, your guide is an absolute freak of nature and most folks his size and weight would shat themselves before making it halfway with a pack that heavy. He's been doing pretty good on the lynx and wolverines this winter....

Tanner

Thats funny but true from what I hear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A guy who packs 2/3 of his weight on a regular basis might seem like a superman now, but he'll be taking an early retirement when his knees and other joints go south on him. The body isn't built for that kind of abuse.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

Tanner

Thats funny but true from what I hear.

Phil has told you a bit about him? (It wasn't me BTW). Dude is a freak. I'll post some photos up here soon....

Tanner

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A guy who packs 2/3 of his weight on a regular basis might seem like a superman now, but he'll be taking an early retirement when his knees and other joints go south on him. The body isn't built for that kind of abuse.

He may not know what an intervertebral disc is currently, but he will be made aware of its existence, or lack therof, in the future, painfully so.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Tanner

Dang Tanner, you ruined my story!

PS, the only place I bragged on Andrew was in the thread I posted about the hunt. That's probably what rost is talking about. I need to give that natural-born killer a call.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bluemonday

He may not know what an intervertebral disc is currently, but he will be made aware of its existence, or lack therof, in the future, painfully so.

Great diagnosis, Dr. Monday. But riddle me this. If a good backpack places most of the load on the hips, and a hunting guide in good physical condition using a good backpack packs a heavy load 3-4 times a year for a couple of days, are you still full of sh*t?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I packed 14 heavy loads last year but my back feels good.... Right now laugh

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dammit, quit ruining my stories!!! On a serious note, a heavy load for me ain't the same as you young bucks, but it's still pretty good. And I can slip my fingers under the shoulder straps. Which means the load is on my hips and there's not much weight compressing my discs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Great diagnosis, Dr. Monday. But riddle me this. If a good backpack places most of the load on the hips, and a hunting guide in good physical condition using a good backpack packs a heavy load 3-4 times a year for a couple of days, are you still full of sh*t?

That totally explains your inability to squat. Stupid people in the gym inevitable screw themselves up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dammit, quit ruining my stories!!! On a serious note, a heavy load for me ain't the same as you young bucks, but it's still pretty good. And I can slip my fingers under the shoulder straps. Which means the load is on my hips and there's not much weight compressing my discs.

Agreed. Issues with my back arise from tight hamstrings and glutes or if my form slips when lifting heavy. Packing heavy rucks hasn't been a detriment to my physical health yet, but we'll see down the road...

My mental health, on the other hand....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Packing meat is exactly why I got into llamas. I'm getting too old to be packing elk quarters on my back. My partners have both turned over 70 and I'm only a couple years away. I figure those llamas have added more than 5 years to my hunting time.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just hate the loads when you get them on your back but then can't figger a way to get up...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I packed 14 heavy loads last year but my back feels good.... Right now laugh

Tanner

As it should feel good......you are twenty something

You are still on the sunny side of the mountains

Myself....at nearly 47 I now fully understand what older men at the gym have told me for decades about the healing power of youth.....now I suppose it's my turn....

PRP injections in both of my knees is set for June 3rd

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

That totally explains your inability to squat. Stupid people in the gym inevitable screw themselves up.

My inability to squat exists only in your mind. But it's good to know it's taking up the small amount of capacity there.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.