Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Brazzaville, Congo. 15 month tour back in 1982-83.

Experienced malaria, roundworms, and amoebas, among other things.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Flyer01
Must be Iowa ........ the only person I know that lives there , wants to live in the bush in Ontario as much as possible.

I've been in the bush in NW Ontario, and that's pretty back woods, so ........ Iowa must be

F

College students in Iowa have one of the highest attempted suicide rates for that demographic in the U.S. Coincidence?

I'm going to Grinnell College for the Midwest Conference Championship swimming and diving meet this weekend. Beautiful campus, very selective and hard to get into, but a large percentage of the kids who start as freshmen leave to finish their undergrad degrees elsewhere. The isolation of being in the middle of nowhere gets to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

Try Stebbins... just a bit smaller but WAY more primitive... or Point Lay, about a third the size of Point Hope I would guess... and a bit special...

Or McCarthy about the time the Pilgrims moved in and the infamous mass shooting happened... lots of places more special than Point Hope... at least there you have some!

Lived in Stebbins for 6+ years (good years), that general area -(even smaller, Saint Michael) for the remainder of 30 years....went to school in Bemidji, MN.

I'd throw Carmacks, YT in the mix for spooky backwaters, but my impressions didn't involve any more time than it took to catch a (abbreviated) bit of shut-eye.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Naukati AK

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Leesville, Loisiana famous for many things but especially
Ft Polk
whores
and the clap
The most backwards people and the most back water place I've ever been. powdr

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Wabbaseka, Arkansas.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by powdr
Leesville, Loisiana famous for many things but especially
Ft Polk
whores
and the clap
The most backwards people and the most back water place I've ever been. powdr

AKA,"Diseaseville".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shkin, Paktika Province Afghanistan.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Tennessee. grin

Please come back ! We love to make fun of loud mouth Yankees that talk through their nose . 😄

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Matadi, Congo, back in the early 80's. Was on a cargo steamer dropping off 100 pound sacks of rice, 55 gallon drums of soybean oil, and some new locomotives. They were all "gifts" from the People of the United States to the People's Republic of the Congo. As we offloaded, instead of the cargo making it's way into the warehouses, it was turned right around and loaded onto a Soviet flag cargo ship. Seems the local feds made a deal with the Russians.

I watched a longshoreman get killed for stealing a bandanna full of rice.

MM- I was just down river from you!

Last edited by RogueHunter; 02/17/16.

- Rogue
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Brazzaville, Congo. 15 month tour back in 1982-83.

Experienced malaria, roundworms, and amoebas, among other things.

....and giardia, let us not overlook giardia, all the yellow bubbly diarrhea you can handle grin

The embassy Marines in Accra, Ghana '80-'83 used to wear red and gold "Africa Corps" t-shirts off-duty. Of course they would hit on Peace Corps girls, prob'ly scored pretty reg'lar I'd expect.

Anyway, most BFE place I've been (besides East Texas, of course), this guy's place, somewhere on the Afram Plains....

[Linked Image]

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Arkansas City, Arkansas

As "backwater" as it gets!

Or no water. The Mississippi river left it in the flood of 1927. It was a major river port until then and is still the County Seat of Desha county. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Miles, I thought you were going to say Santa Elena, Tex. Rio7

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

No sheit? I have a bad 'ivory police' story from Point Hope. Hell, I could have bought a polar bear hide for $350. We only spent 2 days there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Santa Elena is uptown compared to Mt. Judea, Arkansas circa 1985. Haven't been back since, but it was backward. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by billrquimby
Originally Posted by krp
Puerto lobos Mexico, a clapboard and tin ponga village, no electricity and water is brought in on a leaky water truck filling 50 gallon barrels in front of the 'residences'. No bar or restaurant.

Undisturbed sport fishing for the few americans that venture down there. One of those spots you could read in a Hemingway book.

Kent

Kent:

You should have seen Lobos when we first started fishing the gulf in the late 1950s, early 1960s. The only solid structure was an 8x8-foot concrete-block ice house where the locals stored what they called "vieiras" (scallops) that they stamped out of shark meat with cookie cutters. They'd sell buckets of them to the boats that brought the ice from Bahia Kino. Where those phony tidbits wound up nobody would say.

We'd fly down in a friend's Cessna, land and park on "Main Street", sleep under the wing, and rent a ponga and a "guide" to take us fishing.

Sonora has changed much since I started going down there. Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) looked like what Lobos does now, and San Carlos and its marina were only pipe dreams of a Mexican developer. Guaymas had the only luxury resort on the mainland of the Sea of Cortez.

The absolute most backwater place I visited in those days was a place called "Abreojos" (Open your eyes) on the Pacific side of what then was the territory of Baja California Sur, a short flight south of the salt works at Scammon's Lagoon.

There was only a landing strip and two wooden shacks at Abreojos. A Mexican couple lived in one and rented the other to Americans who flew down to shoot black brant or fish. They had traps for longostinas (small lobsters) and charged $3 per person per night for room and board, which included three meals of coffee, lobster, beans and tortillas made on the spot.

It got very noisy in January and February, when most of the world's gray whales congregated inside the huge estuary. Floating around them in a blow-up rubber boat was interesting, to say the least. All night long, they'd emerge and blow, making it seem like we were inside someone's lungs.

Damn, I miss those days.

Bill Quimby

Bill, you guys had it good. My uncles used to haul a 18ft boat down and use handlines for groupers. I never went as a kid but they took me to Rocky point once late 60s. Fishing wasn't good.

Been out of San Carlos plenty as a contractor friend kept a boat that I'd captain while they spearfished off the islands.

Haven't been to either in a few years.

Kent

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here's a few around Point Hope. I think I only have a pic of town is the post office.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
New York city, Washington D.C., L.A. Chicago, etc. Interbred small minded, ignorant clans and tribes of deviant individuals.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Some out of the way place called Tam Ky. Just a bit south of DaNang.

LOL When I first read this I thought where is Tam Kentucky I've never heard of it. Then saw the DaNang reference.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Santa Elena is uptown compared to Mt. Judea, Arkansas circa 1985. Haven't been back since, but it was backward. miles

You can get a mighty good steak in Santa Elena, course, you gotta cook it yourself. And, if you have someone help you cook it, it's edible. blush

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 13,603 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,122
Posts18,542,242
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.