Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I've always loved the late 60s early 70s Chevys. Someday I'll own one. But for now, I just picked up a 3/4 ton '77 GMC with a flatbed to use as a plow truck. Straight body, runs good. Gutless stock 350 with 4 speed manual. I'm going to put on a 2.5" suspension lift and some new 33s. Was going to put a new carb and headers on it, but have been advised gains would likely be minimal. So I'll probably run it as is until it blows up and then put a crate 350 in. Not looking for a fire breather, just a little more oomph.

[Linked Image]

Nice. I bet you can take that truck through the drive up window at the mac-donalds. Because you probably have crank down windows.

My side window don't go down, it's a crew cab so you could use the back door side window, but you can't get in that door because the plastic door handle came off in my hand.

I was so much happier with a vintage work truck, so much less chit to go wrong with them.

I'm seriously considering building up a 60's vintage work truck. Put a pair of D60 or larger axle's under it, box the frame. Run enough clearance for 255/85R16 tires, moderate vintage V8 power with EFI upgrade, selectable lockers front and back.

Power steering, power disc brakes, no G'damn traction control garbage or anti lock brakes... I'd be a happy man.

Hang an 8'2 Boss V plow on the front in the winter time, that would be sweet.

Dave you've been reading my mail (so to speak). What you described is exactly what I'd like to do. But I don't know how to do most of it, so I won't. smile I can swap the springs, and I've a couple buddies I can get to help me pull the motor when the time comes, but that's about it. You nailed it, crank windows, manual transmission and transfer case, nothing electronic at all. Most thankfully the nanny crap. But then again, it also rides like a 40 yo truck too. Which with bald tires on snow and a grade can let you know you're not as good a driver as you thought. haha I am on the hunt for a used plow I can jerry rig to hang off the front.

Cool old truck there. I've been eyeballing a '68 chevy flat bed for a while now. No rust and damn straight. Old 350 and 4 speed manual with super low gears...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ooh, yes that evil TPMS system that lets you know when your tires are low before you have a blowout, wreck, or ruin a $250 tire. Awful, horrible stuff, I tell you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by K1500
Ooh, yes that evil TPMS system that lets you know when your tires are low before you have a blowout, wreck, or ruin a $250 tire. Awful, horrible stuff, I tell you.

It's neat when it works. Thus far on my '12 power wagon it's great. But I've driven more than a few Chevys on which it didn't work. Just more techno bullchit.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Cool old truck there. I've been eyeballing a '68 chevy flat bed for a while now. No rust and damn straight. Old 350 and 4 speed manual with super low gears...

Thanks. Nothing like an old truck! Love driving them, but it damn sure makes you appreciate newer ones too. smile I just had a new aluminum bumper/grillguard put on my power wagon, the guy at the shop works on a lot of everything, to include older sports cars. He said they almost always start out wanting it "all original". Then come back a year later and ask him to put in upgraded suspension components, etc.

MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I can tell you are the kind of azzwipe puzzy that can't live without his power windows and heated seats too. You've probably never had to use manual lock in hubs either. Real trucks never came with cup holders either... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I can tell you are the kind of azzwipe puzzy that can't live without his power windows and heated seats too. You've probably never had to use manual lock in hubs either. Real trucks never came with cup holders either... wink

Yep, you have me pegged. Damn TPMS spoiled me. My pussy ass also likes power steering and seat belts. I know, real trucks don't have any of that stuff on them, do they?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
K1500,

Some of the stuff old-timey 'real' trucks, like the ones made in the last century, didn't have, includes air bags, the aforementioned tire air pressure sensors, shoulder restraint seat belts, impact-absorbing frames, etc. that are pretty much standard on today's trucks.

I'm sure the first thought that jumps into a Highway Patrol officer's head when he comes upon a fatal accident involving a driver of a 'real truck'- one without that stuff- isn't, "he died a real man".

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Did you get the truck bought..

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Did you get the truck bought..

Not yet. I didn't make it down as I had a kid get sick today. Wifes birthday was on Friday so we had a busy weekend

I'll head down mid week and see what it looks like

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spent half an hour yesterday perusing craigslist looking for a vintage K20.

I'd love to put together a clean long bed with a mild stroker motor. I like my 2000 f250, but a simple sharp classic would be uber.

What trans? It'd be pulling a 7k# boat and trailer at most. 700r's don't seem to get much love. 400's are everywhere and can be built stout but I don't know about towing?

Manual? Nv4500?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner

I'd love to put together a clean long bed with a mild stroker motor. I like my 2000 f250, but a simple sharp classic would be uber.

What trans? It'd be pulling a 7k# boat and trailer at most. 700r's don't seem to get much love. 400's are everywhere and can be built stout but I don't know about towing?

Manual? Nv4500?

the 4L80e will get you OD.

this is my beater. '91 GMC diesel 3/4 ton Suburban with one ton axles (14 bolt/Dana 60) and Detroit Lockers in both ends. on the workbench is a NP205 with a NP203 range box that'll replace the NP241 transfer case, give me two low ranges and the options of front wheel drive, 2 LO, ect...

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
80 something a friend built, 92 Dodge running gear, Cummins 5 spd, he bedlinered the whole thing.[Linked Image]

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
80 something a friend built, 92 Dodge running gear, Cummins 5 spd, he bedlinered the whole thing.[Linked Image]

Uber.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Manual? Nv4500?

My k 30 welding truck has turbo 400 with 4:10 gears it gets about 8 mpg with welder and tools. 10-11 empty...stock tired 350..

The 84 k20 has a full roller large gernal 327 corvette heads steel crank pink rods mad ....the works...Turbo 400 and 4:10. Nice running driver be u not enough torque for towing...

Sons 87 has a 383 with 700r4 on 35...by far the best all around combo...has lower 1. St and higher drive..not as tough a trans as a 400 but they are cheap to build..

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been a fan of the older Chevys since I was a kid - Dad had a 72 Suburban that was our 'hunting rig' and what I learned to drive on. I'd wanted a 1st generation Blazer ever since and bought a 71 in 1992. It was in great shape when I bought it, but now needs some Northern Dave style TLC grin I've also been enjoying a 72 K10 the past few years - great old trucks...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a Blazer in '72, 350 with a 4 barrel and 4 speed transmission best Chevy truck I ever owned.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/08/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 75, 77, 80.....then went rounded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had a '81 short bed P/U with a 6 cylinder with 3 Spd. on the floor. Most pathetic underpowered truck I ever owned. Also bought an '86 full size Blazer 5.0L AT loaded, it was a nice enough vehicle but not half the 4WD the '72 was. In later years I have owned S10 P/U & Blazer, both were fine for what they were served my purposes at the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think them and the GMC look like a brick coming down the road. I'll take my Tundra, and it's slick smooth lines.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this thread ain't about you....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.