Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Best is very subjective.

For me, a nicely blued Model 29, with a 5" barrel, endurance package, interchangable front sight,pre-lock sample, such as the incredibly awesome 5" Classic/Classic DX is as close to a factory issued "Best" as I am likely to encounter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For pure Classic, a pinned and recessed 5" Model 29, like the ones shipped to Chicago back in the day, and more or less re-created here is an excpetional piece as well, without the full underlug barrel:

Middle gun:

[Linked Image]

If a Redhawk could be built with a 5" barrel, and an action as light and smooth as a S&W, then that would probably take top shelf. It just has not happened yet.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm a big fan of the mountain gun. mine is a later 29-8 with the lock, etc but it really shoots and handles like a dream. and i can pack it all day in a chest holster and barely know its there.

My diploma is a DD214
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Last edited by Otter6; 02/19/16.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mackay, that middle gun is sweet.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CraigD
Freedom Arms FA-83.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I do have an '80's era 29-2 that is a real work of art. The amount of effort that went into detailing those revolvers was amazing.

It is a bit of a tank though and I have a tendency not to pack it around. Thought of getting a mountain gun as well as the 329PD but instead I opted for a bit of a compromise between the two and picked up one of the new 5 shot 69's on the L frame.

With the 4.25" barrel it is a bit of a handful although not so snappy as the lighter 329PD. You can push 300 grain LBT style WFN's to about 1200 fps using a charge of LilGun or H110 that is a grain or so under max but the point of impact really starts to climb above my 1100 fps Keith style 265 grain practice rounds. Backing down to 280 or even 260 WFN's at 1200 fps probably makes sense and would be easier on both gun and shooter. Still, being heavier than the PD the Model 69 is easier for me to control and hit with and since it is lighter and more compact than the full size 29 or Mountain Gun, it is more likely to be carried.

Not the revolver I would chose over a full size revolver to hunt with but for general packing around or as a trail gun I think the 69 makes sense.

I had a 329PD for backpack carry but changed to a Mountain Gun because the recoil on the 329PD hurt. Love to shoot and carry the Mountain Gun!

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
B
Campfire Regular
Online Sad
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm a big fan of the mountain gun. mine is a later 29-8 with the lock, etc but it really shoots and handles like a dream. and i can pack it all day in a chest holster and barely know its there.

+1

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best ever? This one -- okay, it's a custom, but it's my favorite .44 Mag.

[Linked Image]

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DROOOOLLLLLLL!cry

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Fotis
So the Dan wessons break easily? They are not a strong design?

I thought they were tanks!

One measly part breaks/malfunctions easily when subjected to 445 recoil. The gun was repaired by CZ, but its a real crappy design with that large of a cylinder bolt.

The entire rest of the gun is a tank.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

[Linked Image]

Wow, that's nice! How heavy are those slugs?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks!

They are 340 grains -- Buffalo Bore's +P+ offerings.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by kingston
Mackay, that middle gun is sweet.

That's a 29-2 that was an 8&3/8ths" gun, which is perfect gunsmithing material. Narrowed and smoothed target trigger, and interchangeable front sight.

It is the gun that Smith probably could have sold a boatload of, if they wanted to.

It makes me happy just fondling it! grin cool

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

Again, talking personal preferences here, but for my needs, this is the most consistently accurate .44 mag I have ever had. Not much worried about its strength, either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
[Linked Image]

Again, talking personal preferences here, but for my needs, this is the most consistently accurate .44 mag I have ever had. Not much worried about its strength, either.

Am I allowed to opine here despite my low post count?

Well, here it goes:

That is a great revolver! Lot's of bang for the buck. I have a Bisley Hunter as well in .44 Mag that is very accurate that has accounted for a few animals. You can do a lot worse!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Actually, that just INCREASED your all-important post count!

Bought the Bisley "used" from a guy who said the guy he got it from said it kicked harder than any hand gun he'd ever shot. Don't think my seller even fired it. Doesn't seem to kick any more than any other .44 in it's weight and barrel length class to me, although I admit to not being experienced enough (or having enough posts) to see any appreciable difference with the Bisley grip?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

[Linked Image]

Awesome piece!!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Any revolver with the name Freedom Arms engraved on the side. There are Rugers or BFR's that sometimes are "just as accurate. But none can match the build quality or accuracy (on average) built into every Freedom Arms. The quality of the actions are second to none.
Expensive yes, but quality always is.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
Any revolver with the name Freedom Arms engraved on the side. There are Rugers or BFR's that sometimes are "just as accurate. But none can match the build quality or accuracy (on average) built into every Freedom Arms. The quality of the actions are second to none.
Expensive yes, but quality always is.

I love Freedoms as much as the next guy, but I will put BFRs up against them any and every day of the week with regards to accuracy. They build 'em well with match-grade barrels. Fit and finish and aesthetics it's no contest as FA hands-down wins, but accuracy...... Have some box-stock Rugers that will get it done on the range as well as any higher end guns. Times have changed IMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Grew up shooting Ruger SA.
Have had a few SBH and a couple of 3 screws (one was crazy accurate but looked pretty rough).
Had Smith 629's............4" reg probably the most fun, but for general usage the 6" the better choice. Prefer -3 and older, but keep bullets to 240 gr and lighter (180's kill deer fine).
Don't care for DW or Anacondas.

So an older Smith, or wait for it..........a Ruger SRH.

Hate the grip on a SRH, and they seem rather crude, but dang in a 9.5" do they shoot (at least the one I had). Not a fan of scoped rigs (but my eyes may mandate it very soon).

I used one iron sighted one season. Wouldn't mind getting another and trying to refine it..........but haven't come across anything at a decent price.

Thought about a Redhawk with Anaconda bbl on it.....handled a new RH and about puked. Hate the lockwork, feel/leverage......just not my thing.

Dunno if I can stomach another SRH.......after having shot Smith for a few years.

Only thing I did to my Smiths was smooth the edge of the factory triggers.

Tried 300 grainers in my first one, a 4" -1. Got it used. 2 cylinders and the pivot broke. Smith fixed it rather quickly, cost me $5 to ship back then. Great customer service, and only time I needed it. My 8 3/8" and couple 6" never had a prob (240 gr and lighter only).

Have not tried a Freedom Arms. LGS has one,but it's .454 frown

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 54 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,897
Posts18,518,402
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.