Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by huntsman22
only one was big enuff to be considered livestock, tho......

I am not sure if we should ask for pictures on this one, tempting though...

I, for one, am quite sure we should not!

What fresh Hell is this?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ironbender: I'm in a similar situation. We are looking at raising broilers this season and are trying to decide which breed to get. I like the short time involved with the Ccornish X Rock, but don't find its genetics appealing. We are looking at some Red Rangers from Murray McMurray. Currently we have quite a few hens for the eggs so I only want to try out about 10 birds. Where are you getting your Freedom Rangers and how many are you looking to get? Are they going to free range? Good luck and keep us posted. -tnscouter

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as a kid my dad took me to a family members farm where they had a flock of geese. I was a little kid and wanted to pet the geese. So i walked up to this gander and he promptly latch on to my crotch and little pecker. I was screaming. My dad and the relative were crying they were laughing so hard, and i remember my dad yelling out," fight him like a man, Ron." Do this day i will not approach a goose front on, only sideways.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Cornish X are not much to look at that's for sure, but you will notice a difference in total meat weight in the freezer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would bet Red Rangers have some Rhode Island Red in them. While Rhodies aren't quite as big or heavy as some of the largest breeds, they make great foragers (which is part of what leads to a better tasting, better eating bird). They are hardy and great (brown) egg layers if you happen to want to keep a few around. Any hybrid that includes RI Red in their breeding would be high on my list of Alaska birds.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tnscouter
ironbender: I'm in a similar situation. We are looking at raising broilers this season and are trying to decide which breed to get. I like the short time involved with the Ccornish X Rock, but don't find its genetics appealing. We are looking at some Red Rangers from Murray McMurray. Currently we have quite a few hens for the eggs so I only want to try out about 10 birds. Where are you getting your Freedom Rangers and how many are you looking to get? Are they going to free range? Good luck and keep us posted. -tnscouter

We've ordered from McMurray in the past with good luck and success. At one time we were HQ for a lot of local 4H kids that were raising poultry as JML projects. One year we received something like 25 turkey poults from McM..

Now we order through a local feed store. They call 1 to 2 days before chick arrival and go pick them up. Easier than having to pick up at the PO.

We have raised as many as 50 when my kids were still here, but with a quieter house, we get 25. Last year we had an issue with an owl killing about 9 of them.

Might have to order a couple of these.
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
These are broilers - meat birds. Said to take a couple extry weeks to butcher weight.

They are supposed to be a 'real' chicken that will scratch and forage. The Cornish cross I call 'genetic freaks of nature'. They grow fast which is good, but some can't support the weight gain and have hip collapse, and cardiac failure. Also they are disgusting as they just move from feeder to waterer.

I couldn't agree with you more on the CC. A nearby relative raises them in large tractors. Fast growing blobs of...whatever. Not a pretty nor appetizing sight.

I haven't heard of the these birds you're thinking of trying out, but I'm interested in what you think after raising a forkful to your mouth. As much chicken as we go through in this house and with all the clear meadow we have, it's almost stupid to not raise some meat birds.

Keep us posted, please.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Just completed a little Google session and satisfied with answers. A little comparison:

CornishX weight: 8 lbs; Butchered age: 7 weeks

Freedom Ranger: weight: 5-6 lbs; Butchered age: 10 weeks

Going to order 25 FRs this week.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
a couple of old hens tag-teamed me one time...... yep, one sat on my head while the other expressed herself.

modus operandi, I reckon.....

"Cock is cock" they said.
Was the livestock one blond?
How did they eat?
Thanks in advance.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by tnscouter

We've ordered from McMurray in the past with good luck and success. At one time we were HQ for a lot of local 4H kids that were raising poultry as JML projects. One year we received something like 25 turkey poults from McM..

Now we order through a local feed store. They call 1 to 2 days before chick arrival and go pick them up. Easier than having to pick up at the PO.

We have raised as many as 50 when my kids were still here, but with a quieter house, we get 25. Last year we had an issue with an owl killing about 9 of them.

Might have to order a couple of these.
[Linked Image]
We've raised turkeys a number of times. They have a higher mortality rate than chickens. This last year we bought 10 and butchered 8. 1 got out and the neighbors dog got it. The other tried to drink out of a stock tank and fell in and drowned.
It's easy to let them get too big. A tom can be up over 30lb before you realize just how big he is. Once they top 20lb, they eat an enormous amount of feed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
what bird is best to free range? eating grass and bugs, then still come in to a coop at night?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stay away from some of the wilder breeds - like Anconas- and you'll generally be good. A splash of grain for a 'bedtime snack' when cooping them in the evening is a routine that helps put them to roost also. A handful of geese make good watch-keepers and they won't backstab you like the darned turkeys will.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I raise Buckeyes for eggs and meat but they take much longer to reach butchering age. While not nearly as economical to feed out, they are delicious if you like lean darker meat that is akin to wild game.

My chickens free range daily. They leave their pen about 30 minutes before daylight and largely stand around waiting for it to get light enough to feed. They put themselves to bed just before dusk.

I can't do the Cornish X either but have been thinking of getting some RR. They would be much more economical than my chickens and taste better than the CX. As far as actual free range rather than a large pen, I don't let my chicks start until 6 weeks old due to predators and it really takes another 6 weeks until they are really good at it.
By 12 weeks, the RR will be in freezer camp.

Last edited by sawbuck; 02/21/16.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Turkey= walking stomach looking for a way to die!

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Turkey= walking stomach looking for a way to die!
Isn't that the truth! I can't figure out how commercial turkey growers can make any money with all the feed they stow away.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
An interesting alternative to chicken is a few guinea fowl. Nothing will free range better. They do well roosting in trees. They grow to a size equivalent with a large chicken, but not quickly.

My Grandmother used to keep guineas for eating ang leghorns for laying. The guineas are a bit gamey as one would expect from an essentially wild bird, but not as much so, I think, as pheasant.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Got my rangers ordered. Will be here in June. Plan to kill at 10 weeks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You sick bastid! You're gonna kill them?

You're an animal

Why don't you go to Fred's & get your chicken there where no animals were harmed?

No need to thank me. I'm gettin used to explaining things to you

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Just don't get a bull, Mike.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I brought a dozen broad breasted white turkeys home last night. I don't really have a place outside where I can keep them warm enough at night, so for now, they are in a big ten inch deep toboggan under a heat lamp in the gun room.

While getting the feeder and water set up, I momentarily left the door cracked, and the Jack Russel sneaked in. First Momma and I noticed was when he came prancing out with head and tail in the air proud as hell with a bit of yellow fluff hanging out of his mouth.

We screamed at him and he dropped the turkey unharmed. But he is having fits trying to figure out how to get back in to them again.

I wonder how a turkey perceives a near death experience?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 28 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.