Print Thread
Hop To
B
billd Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Does anyone use any of the USMC IlBE packs or the Army Molle II Pack ?

The prices are reasonable, but I'm not sure of using one for a backpack hunting trip.

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes.

I humped about 65 pounds in a Marine Corp ILBE, up and down Holy Cross in Colorado.

The ILBE worked out great, bore the load fine, and those side sleeves held my rifle secure.

I can't compare to anything but an Alice Pack, which it beats, hands down. And if ignorance of anything better is the only thing keeping me from getting a better pack, so be it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It can be done, but it isn't going to be comfortable.

Especially if you tag out and are packing a heavy load.

A much better option would be to find a good quality pack (MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, etc) used. There are usually some deals on the classifieds.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWE
I humped about 65 pounds in a Marine Corp ILBE, up and down Holy Cross in Colorado.

The ILBE worked out great, bore the load fine, and those side sleeves held my rifle secure.

I can't compare to anything but an Alice Pack, which it beats, hands down. And if ignorance of anything better is the only thing keeping me from getting a better pack, so be it.

Originally Posted by oldslowdog

It can be done, but it isn't going to be comfortable.

Especially if you tag out and are packing a heavy load.

A much better option would be to find a good quality pack (MR, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, etc) used. There are usually some deals on the classifieds.

U.S. military packs are probably the cheapest and most UNCOMFORTABLE way to go. Those packs are real durable and that's about the only redeeming factor in their favor. They are not the best choice unless you are into personal pain and misery.

I've been backpacking for fifty-five years. I own a dozen backpacks and have discarded or given away that many more. oldslowdog offers a list of some good backpacks. I prefer Osprey backpacks, either the Aether or Xenith. They have the most comfortable and best fitting suspension system that I have tried.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The original ILBE was made by Arc'Terryx, a pretty good pack make I'd say.

Ed T

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I tried the ILBE by Arteryx. Quality pack with tons of options, but heavy. I have no desire to lug a bunch of molle webbing around the mountain.

I did pick up a Surplus SO Tech Tactical Medical MPMD-ACU Medic Backpack. Looking forward to giving that a try,

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grand
I tried the ILBE by Arteryx. Quality pack with tons of options, but heavy. I have no desire to lug a bunch of molle webbing around the mountain,

I can't remember the base weight, but a seam ripper solved a lot of that webbing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use the day pack (smaller) version of the ILBE Arcteryx. It's great for what it is.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nota darn thing wrong with an ILBE. Miles ahead of the stone glacier and kuiu packs I've been around.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a fan at all of the MOLLE system, it rides too low, the chest strap breaks and the internal organization sucks.... Plastic garbage.

The ALICE is not the most lightweight or completely comfortable but if I were choosing between the two it would be ALICE all the way. I have a Tactical Tailor model and they they sell the components as well so you can upgrade shoulder straps and hip pads. That makes a quick upgrade.

They are rugged and reliable and I put mine through its paces on hunting trips and 7 trips to IZ and AF.

BUT--If I was starting new looking for a pack and didn't own a Tac Tailor MALICE already then I would start with an internal frame backpack/hunting specialized pack though. I have an Eberlestock X2 that I love for day/bivy trips. But you may want something larger esp for packing out game.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are fine packs but, they won't be on the same level as a quality pack designed for hunting from the ground up.

Probably the best bang for the buck out there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The ILBE is a great pack for the money. I have hunted the s($t out of mine. My last load weighed 73 lbs.

If you want an equal load-bearing system that weighs less, you'll have to pay about $200 per pound for the weight reduction.

Those guys at ArcTeryx and the USMC are pretty bright. Of course, your bragging rights are zero with the ILBE...

Side straps are great for tripods and rifles.

Ultra-light it is not.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me the misery of an inexpensive pack was not worth the savings. I sold a rifle and bought a quality setup...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an arcteryx bora and its probably about the same as the ILBE. Works great for almost all loads and plenty durable. Is it a mystery ranch or kifaru? No, but its a good bang for the buck for 90% of the time.

I do have a mystery ranch 7500 and its great, but it cost a pretty penny.

As for an Alice pack, having humped one for a living, I would rather dig a ditch with a spoon.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have an ILBE and the issue is fit. If you are average size and can get load lifter assistance out of the ILBE it is really a good pack. If you are too tall or torso too long for the proper fit then it is not as good. It is a little heavy but the belt, straps, and pads really snuggle you. I am a little too tall for mine but a really solid pack. See if you fit the pack, if so, I don't think you will be disappointed.
HD

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
carried out 2 cow elk last year with ILBE ,worked just fine for me,7 black foot ruff azz country.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would rather hunt a surplus rifle with surplus ammo than shoulder a surplus pack.

Or wear surplus boots.

YMMV.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (222Sako, 1936M71, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.