Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I gutted and butchered that bear.

None of the shots were good.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
I just realized "Judman" is probably Big Stick.

Doesn't 'Stick refer to him as "Judmam"?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rogue

The rodeos mostly have happened by experienced deer/elk hunter trying to bust shoulders on broad side shots. The broad side shoulder shots will just barely clip the lungs, make for some sporty recovery.

Think bow shot, through the boiler room and try to pin the off shoulder or bust a shoulder into the heart lungs on a quartering to shot. Tends to make recovery much more boring.

Yep. Go back and look at the anatomy chart further up in this thread. Very little chest cavity at the shoulders and basically none in front. If you shoot a bear far enough forward to break the shoulder bone you have a good chance of missing the lungs if the bear is quartering to you a little. I made this mistake on the last day of my hunt in Alberta a couple of years ago. Early in the hunt I killed my first bear with a frontal shot at about 75 yards. The bear was on all fours and I put the 200 gr Partition from my 8mm mag under the chin and straight into the sternum. Instant collapse, not even a twitch.

The last day of the hunt we spotted a nice sized bear and put on a stalk. The shot was about 230 yards from a steady rest and I aimed right on the shoulder on what I assumed was a broadside bear. At the shot the bear tumbled down hill out of sight. My guide was watching through binocs and thought it might have been quartering to a little. We found a piece of shoulder bone and followed a blood trail (no bubbles, just bright red) for about 75 yards before it petered out. We searched for a couple of hours with no luck and finally spotted the bear in some alders. We couldn't be sure it was the same bear and it moved off into the alders. We went over and found some sign. It was indeed the same bear and it didn't look too awfully worse for the wear. That burned in my gut all year. I put the bullet right where I had aimed. I just aimed at the wrong spot.

The next year back in Alberta again I shot one broadside at about 80 yards. I held mid way up and a couple of inches behind the shoulder. After the 30 minute wait we found it stone dead about 75 yards away. My second bear was quartering to in thick cover and I broke the shoulder on that one on the way into the chest. He was DRT.

Bears more closely resemble a human on all fours than they do a deer or elk. Put a bullet where their lungs are and they will die. Put one in the guts and you might have an exciting track job through thick alders like we had on my friend's bear the first year. About 3 hours after the shot the guide spotted the bear still very much alive at 10 yards. My friend finished it off as I filmed over his shoulder. That was pretty crazy for a midwestern guy. A couple of years before that up in Ontario a friend from New York gut shot a bear and had to put a couple more arrows into it in the dark as it tried to come at him after the outfitter tracked it down. His eyes were as big as saucers and he was still shaking when he got back to camp.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don't wanna horn anyone up...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too funny...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guessing you don't have a hair on your ass if don't post a kilt shot...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Usual story. My one and only was taken with a .45 Colt. Don't hunt things I don't like to eat that much but some bear meat has been excellent.

I would shoot one with anything from.243 or above under ideal conditions. If not ideal then something around 7mm or above.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seen 243's work great, just like almost everything else. Seen rodeos with most everything as well.

JJ is the guy to talk statistics with, he's seen some amazing numbers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I heard someplace you can even have a rodeo with a .340 Tyrannosaur or some damn thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I heard someplace you can even have a rodeo with a .340 Tyrannosaur or some damn thing.

That would be an Avalanche....

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With all the talk of getting mauled by black bears, maybe I should stop [bleep] with them, even little ones...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've killed an azzload of black bears with a .220 swift.....never thought they were any harder to kill than a deer IMHO.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
scenar, what was your favorite bullet and point of aim??

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I used to know a woman that would get blackies in her trash in Fairbanks. She'd go out with a broom and a mouthful of cuss words to get rid of them.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
I used to know a woman that would get blackies in her trash in Fairbanks. She'd go out with a broom and a mouthful of cuss words to get rid of them.

She better read "A Confederate General From Big Sur"... critters get bored with cussing and grow to ignore it after a while... even deep thinkers like frogs.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
scenar, what was your favorite bullet and point of aim??

I've killed them with just about every bullet there is. Most of them have been shot through the lungs, broadside. The last bear I shot was my biggest, and it was taken with one shot facing me at a slight angle around 300 yards with a .260 and one 130gr Berger VLD. I recovered it near the hip socket on the right side. He ran less than 20 yards after the hit.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've killed an azzload of black bears with a .220 swift.....never thought they were any harder to kill than a deer IMHO.

55 grain Hornady?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

55 grain Hornady?

Most of them. Used a few 60's also, hollow point, and spire. Sierra's 63, Barnes 60gr, Nosler's 55 BT.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just used a couple Sierra 63SMPs on pigs......they worked great. Gonna give the Nosler 60 NBT a try at pigs in a week or so down in Tejas. Head shots with a .223ai... Im pretty confident that anything will work.

Used a bunch of Hornady 60 gr. SP back in the day on deer and antelope.

Thanks Pat.

Last edited by ingwe; 02/27/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Scenar, Thanks for the info..

ingwe,you headed back south again?? Have a good one that sure is fun.. Did you bring any pork home with you?? We brought both home and had them processed here.. My gal just loves pork.. I like it, but not like she does..

Molon Labe
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.