Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ethics is defined by you for you, and by me for myself.

What I have is none of your business. And what you prefer to do is none of mine.

Some of us will gravitate to each other obviously because we think along the same lines.

Others only toss stones when its not their way.

My instructors book from teaching hunter education backs this up and always has.

And if your ethics don't change as you age, then you may have a problem in progression according to what normally happens.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
The way I see it if snipers can try, with government blessing to take out human targets at any distance in Muslim countries, fully endorsed by your President why can't a 12 year old shoot a critter at similar distance?

LOL...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

What I have is none of your business. And what you prefer to do is none of mine.

Some of us will gravitate to each other obviously because we think along the same lines.

My instructors book from teaching hunter education backs this up and always has.

And if your ethics don't change as you age, then you may have a problem in progression according to what normally happens.

What does it say specifically, your instructor's book?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kingston,

My question is, what does ethics have to do with hunting? My concern is guys who act like Democrats and try to get others to do it their way. I remember a guy here in Oregon at one of the meetings wanted the state to make it illegal to use anything smaller than 6.5mm for elk. The group didn't like it. If he doesn't want to use a .257, don't. If you don't like long range hunting, where ever that starts, don't participate.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
kingston,

My question is, what does ethics have to do with huntingg?

Ringman, many of our hunting regs are based on fair chase and ethics. Like bans on spotlighting and aerial gunning.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
kingston,

My question is, what does ethics have to do with huntingg?

Ringman, many of our hunting regs are based on fair chase and ethics. Like bans on spotlighting and aerial gunning.

Any person who asks the question that Ringman just asked really shouldn't be hunting, IMHO.

Of course, the level of epic stupidity inherent in many of his questions and posts almost defies the law of exponential growth of human ignorance, so that that for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

I agree. They are based on what some in authority think are fair chase and what some in authority consider ethical. I agree with them on some things and disagree with them on other things. Until things change I will obey the laws on the books. When the laws change I will obey the new laws. For me ethics have nothing to do with hunting; except the ethics of obeying the laws.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ringman, fair chase is a conceptual framework through which the ethics of sport hunting is explored. Fair chase is not a rule. Likewise, ethics are not rules. Your limited personal definitions of many terms integral to this discussion prevent you from participating in a meaningful way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
kingston,

Ringman, fair chase is a conceptual framework through which the ethics of sport hunting is explored. Fair chase is not a rule. Likewise, ethics are not rules. Your limited personal definitions of many terms integral to this discussion prevent you from participating in a meaningful way.

"Fair chase is not a rule." Tell that to the Boone & Crockett folks.

"Likewise, ethics are not rules." That is your concept, not mine and many others. My ethics demand I obey God's Word and the laws of the land. My folkways demand I open doors for folks in wheelchairs or crutches or even women.

Everyday Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by rost495

What does it say specifically, your instructor's book?

In my instructor's book it says ethics are "what you do when no one is watching". That's verbatim.

I also believe a man's character has much to do with that decision as well. I question the ethics of the father in the OPs original post. The kid is just doing what dad tells him...unfortunately, he's also learning from that experience.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For me ethics have nothing to do with hunting; except the ethics of obeying the laws.

Legal does not equal ethical, and vice versa. You can do things that are illegal but ethical, and legal but unethical.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Legal does not equal ethical, and vice versa. You can do things that are illegal but ethical, and legal but unethical.

I agree. It seems some (more than 1) don't understand that.

Also - I don't know that I'd call it honoring an animal altho I understand the attitude, I do think we should 'regard' or 'appreciate' the animals that we shoot, harvest, kill. I think blatant disregard of wildlife opens the door to things we would not call good.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
For me ethics have nothing to do with hunting; except the ethics of obeying the laws.

That's a scary statement. Ethics is about morality. It's hard to imagine a man that takes the scripture so seriously but can put his morals in a box and say when they apply and when they don't.

So we have made it clear we all have our own set of values. I think OP's original statement applies to the customs and values of the group as a whole. For example, it's customary to hunt lions with dogs, it's customary to hunt coyotes with long range gear, it's customary to snag paddlefish, trap foxes, etc. So as a group it's up to us to decide what is acceptable or not for elk hunting. I'd like to hear some ideas on what that looks like....

Last edited by wildcat33; 03/04/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For me it's fairly simple. Not taking a shot that I have no business taking because it's just as likely I'll wound the elk and lose it as kill it. A lot more goes into that than shot selection, including lots of practice, having an accurate weapon, good ammunition (or arrows) and being proficient enough to know the difference between a high percentage shot and a risky one.

That's one reason I defend LR hunters in these debates--they tend to take shooting seriously and put a lot of effort into it. Unlike some detractors (not aimed at anyone here) who still have the same box of ammo they bought three years ago. Lack of effort in becoming proficient is unethical in my opinion.

One of the problems in these debates is that people confuse a "personal ethic" with "ethical/unethical." A personal ethic is just how someone chooses to approach something. If a guy only wants to kill bulls he calls into bow range that's his personal ethic. But if he wants to put out a pile of corn to draw them in, it's pretty much universally agreed that is unethical, and it's illegal because of that universal agreement. I don't think we're anywhere near universal agreement that LR hunting is unethical.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildcat33

That's a scary statement. Ethics is about morality. It's hard to imagine a man that takes the scripture so seriously but can put his morals in a box and say when they apply and when they don't.

So we have made it clear we all have our own set of values. I think OP's original statement applies to the customs and values of the group as a whole. For example, it's customary to hunt lions with dogs, it's customary to hunt coyotes with long range gear, it's customary to snag paddlefish, trap foxes, etc. So as a group it's up to us to decide what is acceptable or not for elk hunting. I'd like to hear some ideas on what that looks like....

Ringman will never catch on to the level of hypocrisy he's just exhibited, nor will he understand why it's hypocritical.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
smokepole,

I agree. They are based on what some in authority think are fair chase and what some in authority consider ethical. I agree with them on some things and disagree with them on other things. Until things change I will obey the laws on the books. When the laws change I will obey the new laws. For me ethics have nothing to do with hunting; except the ethics of obeying the laws.

Absolutely mind blowing hilarity coming from you. You cover these forums with your version of what's moral preaching to the rest of the mere mortals and then you say that?

You just can't make this stuff up...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never understood the username, now I see that what he meant to call himself was "Circularargumentman".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me it's fairly simple. Not taking a shot that I have no business taking because it's just as likely I'll wound the elk and lose it as kill it. A lot more goes into that than shot selection, including lots of practice, having an accurate weapon, good ammunition (or arrows) and being proficient enough to know the difference between a high percentage shot and a risky one.

That's one reason I defend LR hunters in these debates--they tend to take shooting seriously and put a lot of effort into it. Unlike some detractors (not aimed at anyone here) who still have the same box of ammo they bought three years ago. Lack of effort in becoming proficient is unethical in my opinion.

One of the problems in these debates is that people confuse a "personal ethic" with "ethical/unethical." A personal ethic is just how someone chooses to approach something. If a guy only wants to kill bulls he calls into bow range that's his personal ethic. But if he wants to put out a pile of corn to draw them in, it's pretty much universally agreed that is unethical, and it's illegal because of that universal agreement. I don't think we're anywhere near universal agreement that LR hunting is unethical.

Well said Smoke.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wildcat33,

Quote:

Recently I posted on this subject and included Obeying God's Word and the laws of the land. There are people who think using the Bible as your standard is unethical. The idea of ethics presupposes morality which presupposes an Ultimate Standard. There is only One. He has given His standard in His Word, the Bible.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
seems there is more to morality than what the bible teaches.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Page 16 of 19 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.