Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Art,

The successes I KNOW of with spray have not been only on young, duymb bears, by any means. And I know at least one very experienced brown bear outfitter who trusts spray enough to always have it on hand.

I know this about him partly because I was standing next to him one day when a dumb-ass tourist woman chased a big sow down a river, trying to get a close-up with a point-and-shoot camera. The sow came out of the brush at most 10 yards away. My friend had a revolver in his left hand but the spray in his right (dominant) hand, pointed at the bear--and that friend has killed several charging browns with a rifle. Luckily, the bear chose not to come.

Also have a friend here in Montana who spray-stopped two big, mature bears in their tracks when they were within a few feet.

One of the problems with this subject (which has been beaten to death several times before on the Campfire) is that most people don't have any experience with spray, or cite an instance or two where it didn't work. There have been plenty of studies of numerous "bear indicents" done by people who were not anti-hunters indicating somebody using bear spray is at least as safe, and probably more so, than somebody depending solely on a firearm.

Anybody who's been around bears much can cite instances where spray didn't work and bullets did. But I tend to play the odds, whether hunting in grizzly country or buckling seat-belts. Yes, there have been instances where seat-belts severely injured people, or even kept them inside burning vehicles. But the odds are much better when buckled up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The claims of success need to be checked pretty carefully as people often let fly on bears in situations where the bear was never going to do anything anyway. There have been many successful spray reports on bears 40 yards and more away...

In my experience, the most likely situations where bear confrontations occur make projectiles a better choice anyway. The ideal scenario with bears is to maintain some distance....more than spray can reach.

You can often maintain some distance by "intruding in their space" with something repulsive to them by sight, sound, touch, or smell, and that means you don't want to be close enough for spray to work. Or, if you surprise them, you better have your weapon of choice in your hand and ready. In that situation, I don't want a non-lethal means in my strong hand, and would prefer to have both hands on a lethal means of defense. (But this is the scenario that seems to be most commonly pictured in spite of being least likely for those with much experience and awareness.)

And if the fellow has dogs, he would be well served in knowing his dogs well when bears are around. Different dogs behave quite differently around bears. Some are inclined to sound off and act aggressively. Some turn tail and return, (perhaps with an angry animal in tow). Others do a 'middle ground' kind of thing and neither antagonize nor scare the bear off; kind of 'point' the animal. (I had a husky/lab/shepard mix that did the latter; great bear dog - fearless, but you had to pay attention. And he 'pointed' many bears, some which we never saw.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

It has always been maintained by the sprayers that it is paramount that you have to make a killing shot with a firearm and little regard to the same accuracy with spray. I carry both when elk hunting with a bow.

Be sure whichever you are going to rely on, you had better be able to deploy it and use it effectively in a split second or you are just hours away from becoming bear poop...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Art,

The successes I KNOW of with spray have not been only on young, duymb bears, by any means. And I know at least one very experienced brown bear outfitter who trusts spray enough to always have it on hand.

I know this about him partly because I was standing next to him one day when a dumb-ass tourist woman chased a big sow down a river, trying to get a close-up with a point-and-shoot camera. The sow came out of the brush at most 10 yards away. My friend had a revolver in his left hand but the spray in his right (dominant) hand, pointed at the bear--and that friend has killed several charging browns with a rifle. Luckily, the bear chose not to come.

Also have a friend here in Montana who spray-stopped two big, mature bears in their tracks when they were within a few feet.

One of the problems with this subject (which has been beaten to death several times before on the Campfire) is that most people don't have any experience with spray, or cite an instance or two where it didn't work. There have been plenty of studies of numerous "bear indicents" done by people who were not anti-hunters indicating somebody using bear spray is at least as safe, and probably more so, than somebody depending solely on a firearm.

Anybody who's been around bears much can cite instances where spray didn't work and bullets did. But I tend to play the odds, whether hunting in grizzly country or buckling seat-belts. Yes, there have been instances where seat-belts severely injured people, or even kept them inside burning vehicles. But the odds are much better when buckled up.

Phil has made his points about spray and I would certainly never question any aspect of his bear credibility. But if bear spray was perfect why did he even have a gun in his hand? wink

I play odds as well and buckle my seat belt... but there is no way I would carry spray alone.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not exactly.

A lot of people think a firearm is far more effective than spray, but on average spray works as well, and often better. One of the classic Montana examples occurred a few years ago, when a couple of bowhunters bumped into a sow grizzly with cubs, and sow showed signs of aggression. One of the bowhunters had a .45 semiauto and started shooting, wounding the sow, which charged, knock him down and started chewing. The other bowhunter had a spray bottle and chased the sow off with it.

Hunters like to cite instances where spray doesn't work, but statistically it works around 90% of the time. I know several people that have used it here and it worked in every one of those instances. Two things. One, bear spray works very well except when you use it in a head wind. If you spray it,the blow back will incapacitate you. I have practiced with it,and it will knock you down in short order,and it doesn't take much. Secondly, I have shot several large black bears in the face at 10 to 15 steps with a 12 gauge using both BBS, and 4 buck. It absolutely makes this head into a jig saw puzzle. If you want to be serious about bears at close quarters use spray if the wind is right,if not use a shotgun. There are not 5 people in 100 that can reliably hit a charging griz with a lethal shot from a pistol,and maybe 1 in 10 can do it with a rifle. The charge happens very fast,and those bears are way faster than you think.

I've also been to Alaska a lot, and many guides (especially when fishing) carry both spray and a firearm, and often only the spray. Some also issue a spray bottle to each fishing client, just in case.

Yes, a firearm will work, but only if you hit a seriously charging bear in exactly the right place. Not many handgunners can do that, despite what most think, especially on a charging bear. A shotgun will also work, but only with tough slugs; most buckshot and slug loads don't penetrate enough. A rifle is usually most effective, but spray doesn't demand the precision of a well-placed shot.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I defy most people to do anything but wound a charging bear with a handgun. Unless you are a very good quick-draw type, you are much better off with the spray.

Many failures are due to not using spray properly, or having some that is expired. If it is more than three years old, then go buy some new stuff. Old pepper spray will only serve to flavor you a little bit while he is eating you.

Many encounters happen so fast that a heavy hand gun could not even clear the holster.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sorry my post ended up in the middle of mule deer's post above. Bear spray works well except when using it into the wind. Then the blowback will incapacitate you,and it only takes a little bit.I have knocked myself down with the faintest of breezes. I have shot several large black bears that were in foot snares in the face with a 12gauge using bbs and 4 buck. It makes their head into a jigsaw puzzle at 10 to 15 steps.very effective. Only 5 out of 100 people are capable of killing a charging bear with a handgun, and I bet only1 out of 10 could do it with a rifle. So carry spray and use it if the wind is right,or use a shotgun. Theses bear attacks happen very quickly and the bears speed is incredible.

Last edited by atse; 03/07/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atse
Sorry my post ended up in the middle of mule deer's post above. Bear spray works well except when using it into the wind. Then the blowback will incapacitate you,and it only takes a little bit.I have knocked myself down with the faintest of breezes. I have shot several large black bears that were in foot snares in the face with a 12gauge using bbs and 4 buck. It makes their head into a jigsaw puzzle at 10 to 15 steps.very effective. Only 5 out of 100 people are capable of killing a charging bear with a handgun, and I bet only1 out of 10 could do it with a rifle. So carry spray and use it if the wind is right,or use a shotgun. Theses bear attacks happen very quickly and the bears speed is incredible.

And a can of spray is going to be drawn and used faster than a handgun? How long does it take to calculate wind while drawing?

I have seen more than a few bear charges in person...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage 99 in 358 Winchester.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Art,

I've been sprayed, thus I know what it does to me. Knowing that, I don't carry the stuff because if I get tagged with it I'm fugged. Never sprayed a bear, or had reason to shoot one in self defense yet. But been close enough. For me it's 180 hard cast in my 586, with the same in a Marlin, or warm hard 240s in my 629 or Marlin.

MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently some people think because I'm saying spray usually works that I'm also saying there's no need for a firearm. I did NOT say that, and never have. But do think most people would be able to draw the spray and have a better chance of stopped a bear within spray-range than with a handgun. That's what the statistics indicate, partly because the spray doesn't need to be as precisely applied as a bullet.

There are also quite a few places where you can carry spray but not a firearm.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Phil has made his points about spray and I would certainly never question any aspect of his bear credibility. But if bear spray was perfect why did he even have a gun in his hand? wink

People who make their living helping others harvest Alaska's natural resources often benefit from not having to skin untagged critters and not doing unnecessary paperwork..... something about scrutiny perhaps. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
maybe he's just looking for a way to NOT kill the bear, instead of looking for a reason TO kill the bear.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A great deal of the trouble with these queries is that many people seem to have the idea that bears just magically appear and want to charge people. Nothing could be further from the truth; contact with bears is quite easily avoided. And I say that in spite of sometimes seeing dozens of them in a day. But sneaking up on them, or rubbing elbows with them in the same stretch of river.....you can't blame the animal for reacting, and you had better be ready....and giving some room is never a bad way to do that.

I don't relish the idea of hoping some chemical that can as easily disable me as, perhaps, the bear, will be an effective deterrent on an angry, scared apex predator that is intent on impressing its footprints upon me. I also don't hold great confidence in any firearm preventing or ending such a thing, but it might buy a bit of time.

But the whole issue seems almost moot considering that a person who isn't blind and/or deaf has a lot of control over their proximity to bears most of the time. And I wouldn't have a dog around that didn't improve my odds in proximity to a bear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sbhooper,

Carrying a gun all the time, for everything can get pretty old.

I feel sorry for you. I am 5'7" tall and weigh about 155 pounds. At seventy-one years old I do not find "Carrying a gun all the time, for everything can get pretty old," getting old at all. Two things here. I enjoy guns and realize 99% of the time big bad animals will run away. If one decides to bite, I want to bite back with a little more authority.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Chuck, I think your brother would welcome the "opportunity" for an attack on his person.

20" barreled 06 shooting 220 Partitions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry both sprays...bear spray and lead spray 44 mag out of my Rossi 92

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Who makes a handy lever action in 45-70?

Marlin Guide Gun, 45-70...

Here's my best friend's, all the bells and whistles. Set up to perfection:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Klik,

One of the problems with this thread is that grizzlies live in many kinds of habitat. The OP specifically asked about bears in "North Idaho/Montana/Canadian border" country.

That can vary some, but in general the bears are found in thicker country than in much of Alaska, and aren't found along rivers nearly as consistently. They can appear nearby at any time, and while a full-out charge with no warning obviously isn't common, avoinding bearsbears that can be almost anywhere in thicker woods isn't as easy as it can be in parts of Alaska.

There are places here where you can spot grizzlies a long way off, but there's also a lot of country where all of a sudden they're right there, very close. It's happened to me a number of times, both when I've been hunting and when I've been in Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks--where you can carry legal firearms, both openly and concealed, but not discharge them. The law was changed in 2010 to allow carrying firearms to ease transport through the parks, not to allow people to carry firearms as protection from bears. Which is why the parks urge people who plan to hike to carry spray.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 03/07/16.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is why in my 25+ years of living in kalispell,MT. that I have never set foot in Glacier National Park They want you to only carry spray, NOT!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,985
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.