Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ammoseek, AmmoEngine, and GunBot are good search engines for finding in-stock RF ammunition. Just last week, I found reasonably priced HM2 ammo at Academy Sports through one of these sites.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would've owned one by now, but recently got tired of waiting for the stainless version to come out, so I added a barrel to my existing CZ 455 instead.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bhemry
I would've owned one by now, but recently got tired of waiting for the stainless version to come out, so I added a barrel to my existing CZ 455 instead.

that certainly is better than waiting,I assume it shoots well too.i had a CZ455 and it shot well, but it just didn't tick my clock for some reason or another.darn good rifles though.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was wanting a stainless barrel also, but bought the predator and had it Cerakoated(SP?)

It was a good option for me! Low glare finish and weather resistant!

Virgil B.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Homesteader, if for any reason the source runs out for the link Mule Deer gave you, you can also get the CCI Mini Mags at Cabela's right now for a good price and free shipping.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/ccispeer-mini-mag-100-rounds-22-lr-849-no-limit

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been finding .22mag at most Academy Stores for the last few months, CCI Maxi Mags and Hornady Critical defense.

Mine shoots Maxi Mags and Dyna Points very well.
The Dyna Points were purchased in OKC, back in '93, or so.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I fired two Predators side by side doing five shot groups. Both did pretty good with CCI VMax and Hornaday VMax...~3/4" at 50. Both also shot Winchester Dynapoints and Fiocchi 40 gr poorly...~1"- 1 1/2" at 50 with the Winchester being the worst.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
m1919,

Thanks for the info. It's exactly what I was looking for, to figure out if I just got an exceptional rifle. Mine shoots the Dynapoints very well, but I don't have any Fiocchi ammo to provide a comparison there.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
1 to 1 1/2" is plenty good enough for a lot of what a .22 mag is good for, I think. I tried a couple of rifles that would go 3/4" with the ammo they liked, but decided that it was overkill to have something bracketed so closely by LRs and the Hornet and hard to feed to boot. I can use the time spent looking for Mag ammo to load reduced Hornets (and now .223s).

I do kind of miss the 9422 I sold, but for the rifle, not the load.

John, I always thought those Dynapoints filled a very useful niche, in a rifle that would shoot them. Lucky you.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/09/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mule Deer

This may or may not be relevant, but in the Dynapoints I fired, I had several that split the case.....some nearly the entire length. I contacted Winchester via email several times about this but they have yet to respond.

Unfortunately I didn't notice the split cases untill I had gone through a few boxes and was picking up the brass.

I may have just gotten hold of a bad batch.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I know these Ruger's are accurate and probably a lot of bang for the buck but, damn, they are ugly!

Compared to a Marlin, the American is a thing of beauty.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
m1919,

Thanks for the additional info about the split cases. I haven't had that happen with any .22 Magnum ammo, in several handguns and rifles, so do suspect you got a bad batch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
John,

I have a one in 22 Mag with the 22 inch barrel.

I don't have much experience with many other 22 WMRs, however, mine seems to be reasonably accurate with a few brands of ammo.

Specifically, it adores the Hornady 30 gr vmax stuff. It will shoot very uniform 5-shot groups that average just under an inch at 100 yds.

It also seems to shoot the 40 gr CCI maxi-mags and 40 gr Rem PSPs well. Both of these go between 1.25 to 1.5 inches at 100. Again, 5 shot groups. interestingly, these both go to the same POI which is about 3 inches off from the Hornady stuff.

The one round which it did not like was the CCI 30 gr +V stuff. That shot 4-5inch patterns at 100 yards. Just all over.

So far, that is the only ammo I have wrung thru mine. I do like it and bascially either shoot the Hornady or Maxi mags depending on the situation.

HTH,

Bob

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

Thanks for the info.

As noted in my original post, I've owned a bunch of .22 Magnums and all except this Ruger were very ammo-sensitive, even more than the average .22 Long Rifle. Haven't checked my records but can't remember one that wouldn't scatter at least one load like your rifle scatters the CCI 30-grain stuff.

This was fine back when .22 Magnum ammo of various kinds was easily available, but that's not true today, I suspect because so much production time is going into making .17 HMR ammo.

Plus, .17 HMR rifles of all brands seem to be accurate and remarkably ammo insensitive. It's rare for .17 HMR ammo of any kind to average groups over an inch at 100 yards--and they all seem to land in close to the same place. I tried four different kinds of .17 HMR ammo the other day in my CZ. The four 5-shot groups averaged under an inch, and all 20 rounds went into 1.63".

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been on the fence thinking about buying one of these. I think Whittakers had them for around $270 at one point with the heavier barrel. Came real close to grabbing one.

How is the factory stock? Solid or typical plastic junk? Anyone making a decent wood/laminate stock for them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On the fence here, also. Been looking at a couple but still unsure because this would be my first ever 22 mag., (rifle, anyway). Stocks I've seen don't look that bad but I also checked out Boyd's gunstocks and they have several for the RAR in 22 mag.; about $129. IIRC. If a RAR were to wind up in the safe here it would probably also wind up with one of their sweet looking laminated stocks. From reading this thread it seems they shoot pretty good with ammo that they prefer. Heck; I should get one. My excuse could be that it fills that gap between my 22LR stuff and my 22 Hornet. Any excuse for another gun, right?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mule Deer,

My buddy recently bought one of these and it is a shootin' sumbitch. Likes the Federal Game Shok the most but it doesn't seem real picky with a variety of other stuff.

He bought it at Scheels for $179.00. I think he has more money into the ammo for it at this point, than he does the actual rifle.

Gophers have been good this spring and it knocks the hell out of them.

Are you going to Kalispell this weekend?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 22250rem
On the fence here, also. Been looking at a couple but still unsure because this would be my first ever 22 mag., (rifle, anyway). Stocks I've seen don't look that bad but I also checked out Boyd's gunstocks and they have several for the RAR in 22 mag.; about $129. IIRC. If a RAR were to wind up in the safe here it would probably also wind up with one of their sweet looking laminated stocks. From reading this thread it seems they shoot pretty good with ammo that they prefer. Heck; I should get one. My excuse could be that it fills that gap between my 22LR stuff and my 22 Hornet. Any excuse for another gun, right?

I personally feel people get a little too neurotic with the rimfire stuff. It will do anything you need a .22 Mag to do in regards to accuracy.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now I'm getting pushed over the edge.... Maybe I'll take another look at them. I've never owned a 22 mag. in a long gun and I can recall a couple 22 mags that used to show up at the range once in a while and they never impressed me all that much, accuracy-wise. But that was over 20 years ago and I don't recall who made them; all I remember is that they were 22 mag.. Those RAR's are starting to look a lot nicer now. At least for that kind of money.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave
I personally feel people get a little too neurotic with the rimfire stuff. It will do anything you need a .22 Mag to do in regards to accuracy.

Travis

Translation: Don't let Stick call you out for being a do-nothing chkunt...

Personally, making a 22 Mag not sound like a 357 (where legal) is Podunk, skookum or Ojibwe....if you live where it don't matter, get your chkunt off the couch.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,135
Posts18,502,708
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.