Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We're in the same situation and not sure whether to use excluders. We've decided to use an excluder in one hive and not in the other and see what happens. If we get some brood in our honey super well just cut it out prior to extraction.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Requeen both the original and new hive.

mannlakeltd.com has free shipping over $100

Last edited by T Bone; 03/08/16.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
oh yeah...one rookie mistake I made when requeening the first time.. I located the queen, then squashed her with some needle nose pliers. In that split second of killing her, she sent out the "kill him" order. Panic set in watching half the hive empty and start stinging me.

Remove the queen away from the hive, then squash her.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
OK bee people. I am new to this and have no bees until April, but I have been reading a lot and have lots of questions that will be asked as time moves on. Today the question is, Queen excluder, good idea/bad idea? On the surface it sounds good, but after reading some about it, most are saying it is bad for your bees. So without it, what keeps your honey super from having the queen laying eggs there? I know that I am dumb as a rock, but bear with me. miles

I used exluders when I started but it and tossed them. If you wait to put on honey supers until there is a bridge of capped honey at the top of the hive the queen will stay down where she belongs.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you wait to put on honey supers until there is a bridge of capped honey at the top of the hive the queen will stay down where she belongs.

Thanks for the info. While I will enjoy honey, that is not my main goal. I want the pollination and helping bees in trouble would also be cool. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve
Wow guys! Thanks.

Scott, PM me an address and I get you a check in the mail.

Geno, I'll take you up on that. Been so long since I had bee's I'd love a 'mentor'. Especially when I need think about requeening, etc...

Steve,

"Mentor"? Ha Ha. Nope I applied for the "helper" job! grin

I still have my gear as I always hope to get another hive someday. But with all the moving around my wife and I have done for our careers, I haven't had one in 16 years now (gosh, looking at calendars is a bad thing). I was sorta hoping to learn "on the job" along with you.

Beekeeping has changed a bit since then, basics seem to be the same from what I've read, but you may be way ahead of me.

Best thing about bees ( or other animals, or plants) is that they want to stay alive and thrive.

If you need help, I'm your guy. As I said, assuming we're still in the area. Wife has an interview over in Orofino for a job there and also has applications out in Medford and a few other places. The Govt moves slowly, so by the time the process works out, we may still be here for a year or so.

Good luck with it all. Not sure if I caught it or not, but did your bees arrive and are they settling in yet? Fruit trees near us are starting to bloom. Time to make honey and "baby" bees.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,860
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.