-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
my family and I are planning on raising meatchickens for the first time. I remember doing this as a kid growing up, and then again in college helping a friend who raised them to trade and sell locally. at most it was 4-500 a year. even though I have a fair bit of experience, I've never been the one who was ultimately responsible for them, nor did I do much in the early stages.
We're planning on getting 50 birds, not sure of a good breed yet.
we live in the black hills of SD, so weather can be unpredictable spring/summer and even fall. is there a breed that does better with cool nights and hot days?

anyone make their own feeders/waterers? I remember filling the old metal sleeve ones that were a pain. I'd like something I can just stick the hose in and fill.

is there a general rule for sq ft per bird?

any other advice?

mail order or farm supply store?
if mail order, is there a reputable company, or other advice when selecting a chick supplier?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you get cornish-x, they are typically ready to butcher at 7ish weeks. After that, mortality rates climb. All they care to do is eat/drink.
If you get the red type, they take a few weeks longer to mature, have fewer health problems and are slightly less disgusting.
Neither grow as well in hot weather so spring is best. Cool nights aren't a problem once they feather.

If you plan to grow a dual purpose type bird to butcher, they will cost you substantially more to feed and possibly 20 weeks or more to reach target weight.

I favor the red meat birds (red ranger/freedom ranger type] myself but the cornish-x can't be beat for quick and dirty, cost.

You can make your own feeders and waterers. I have the 5 gal. sleeve type but usually use ice cream buckets for mature birds.

Feed store or mail order is fine. Mail order, you will need to be available the morning chicks arrive at the P.O., they should call you, very early.
I would try to order from a hatchery close to SD so shipping is less stressful.

Some toss out 4 sq. ft. per bird but I think it isn't enough and any additional space will help reduce flock stress which is the killer of chickens.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,630
Posts18,512,055
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.