Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There is only 2 open water crossings you'll have to worry about. The rest should be a piece of cake in a big boat.

Ketchikan will be fun. A fishing charter would be ok, but they don't put in much effort for the cruise ship clients. To do it right and proper you'd need to come up just for that intent. They drop you in some pretty touristy areas so there is plenty to look at.

I love cruises. Its' a great way to relax and gain 15lbs. When the girls get older, we'll be regular cruisers down south.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW, you'll see plenty of whales from the cruise ship, just not up and close if you were on a smaller boat.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
We spoke of that last week. It's on my bucket list too, but with my son.

I'm looking forward to your report and pics,Ed.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are you taking the yorkies?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
For some reason I thought you were hunting the AK Pen.

Have fun.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

don't drink the water or eat the food......

use hand wipes on everything.........

http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Band-Wris...-1&keywords=motion+sickness+bracelet

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
ReliefBand Motion Sickness Device, the best $100.00 you will ever spend.

http://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Mo...5895&sr=8-2&keywords=relief+band

Browning X-Bolt .30-06
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS

Tikka T3x Lite 308 win
Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x50 CDS
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, Dixon Entrance can get sporty, but I've never been through there on anything the size of a cruise ship.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My personal (as a local) Juneau shore trip reco's:

Mendenhall Glacier
Mt. Roberts Tram (on a decent day)
DIPAC salmon hatchery
Zipline (two of 'em - one is a short jet boat ride from the cruise docks)
Juneau Armory - machine gun tour (they will pick you up dockside)
State Museum - brand spankin' new - opening this spring (can easily walk to from ship)

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Plus one on the scopolamine patch, but I wouldn't put it on until I needed it. Big ships on the Inside Passage really don't move much.

Excursions up there are very expensive. My daughter and I flew on a helicopter out of Skagway, landed on a glacier, and dog-sledded for an hour or so. A great memory and fantastic scenery, but it was $500 per person 10 years ago. The narrow gauge railway up to White Pass may be a better bet, and likely a good bit cheaper.

My son and I flew on a little Cessna out of Ketchikan, landing on an Alpine lake, hanging out, and flying back. Again, a great memory, maybe a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but I've allowed myself to forget how much it set me back.

I did the whale watching excursion out of Juneau. Choking back diesel fumes on a tourist-trap boat that couldn't legally get within a couple of hundred yards of the whales was, IMHO, pretty lame. Once I got back, though, I took the Mt. Roberts tramway up to the trailhead to Mt. Gastineau and went hiking. Fantastic views, and a great time, all for something like $25 for the tram ride, though you could also hike up from the bottom.

Never went to Tracy Arm, so I can't comment.

All in all, a great trip. I know many folks who have been back several times, and I even plan on going back at some point. Its that good! Enjoy.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not that I would know anything about it but watching a boatload of these Alaska shows, I've heard more than a few of the people say the Cruises are nice but you miss out on alot of the "real" Alaska.

Of course a cruise is going to take care of you if you aren't the adventurous type, but I think if I was going to do it, I might look into flying up there and taking on Alaska on my own.

Just find out when the bugs are dead

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob
Just be sure to take your passport as most out of Seattle stop on Vancouver Island. If it does stop in Canada make sure any hand guns stay in your cabin safe when you go a shore. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Can any cruise vets offer up any actual on board ship advice?

Any inside tips that paid off for you? Like, whose palms are the best to grease on these type trips?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by northcountry
Bob
Just be sure to take your passport as most out of Seattle stop on Vancouver Island. If it does stop in Canada make sure any hand guns stay in your cabin safe when you go a shore. Cheers NC
---------

Good to go on passports for Canada stop.

I wasn't really thinking about packing heat on this trip. Do you feel it's a mistake not to.

William Arthur Ward

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bob, it is always a mistake to not pack if possible. YMMV

As to sea sickness, you would have to get in some major rough water to feel anything on those cruise liners. Rarely does anyone get sick on those boats from motion sickness, food and even more likely drink however are more likely to cause an issue. grin

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I hear you but thinking about Dulles and Seattle TSA x 2 for a handgun on a cruise ship seems a hassle, in spite of all the sound adages.

I'll check to see if it's permitted on board.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't ask; don't tell.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm already locked and loaded for the cruise so I'm just trying to make the most of it. If I'm going to do something, I try to be optimistic and minimize the rookie mistakes.

William Arthur Ward

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don't ask; don't tell.

---------

The airlines?

Don't know if the ship personnel check luggage before boarding. I'd think they'd have that right but not sure.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bob, they even frown on a pocketknife aboard. Absofookinglutely no guns.

Celebrity might be different, but on Norwegian they add a percentage tip to your tab automatically. You might leave your cabin steward a little - and if you do, leave it on the first day so you'll get the benefit of your indulgence. Nobody else requires a tip, but I often tip bar servers and main dining room help.

You will be required to have your passport but the only place you'll need it off ship will be Victoris/Vancouver.

All onboard transactions will be via your issued ship ID, no cash or credit cards accepted aboard. Everything goes on the ship card, which you'll settle up before you can debark at the end. On shore, its just like the real world.

You'll have a small safe in your cabin. You set your own combination the first time you use it (I recommend you leave it empty when you try it the first time, just in case!) and that's where you can keep your passport, and any extra cash you brought. Also jewelry, of course.

Celebrity has fixed dining, I think. That means you'll be assigned a table and tablemates, and must eat at a certain time and dress up. You two can get along with anybody, I know; so that's no biggie.

Cabins have VERY limited storage. Collapsible luggage like a rolling dufflebag is very helpful. If you have multiple chargers for things, bring a multi outlet. And a nightlight. They supply a "does all" body wash dispenser in the shower, but that's all. And think RV when it comes to bathroom size - tiny!

If you have questions, PM me.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257Bob, 257 roberts, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 4,346 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,583
Posts18,532,286
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.