Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Looking to buy a stainless synthetic. I THINK I got it narrowed down to these three.

Sako A7 Roughtech Pro
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather
Remington Model 700 Mountain SS

What's the Fire's take on these rifles?

Are there any others in this price range or lower that I should consider?

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
All 3 of your choices are excellent rifles but the factory stocks on all 3 of the rifles you are considering is a dealbreaker for me, they all have the thick wristed pistol grip especially the blocky EW and roughtec pro stocks, the 700 MR has a thick wristed non-checkered B&C stock that i dont care for...As far as actions go they are all excellent, the Win will be a little heavier if weight is a factor.....I had several of the A7 SS synthetic rifles that were all very accurate and I liked them very much with zero complaints.......I would take a long look at a Tikka T3 before I Pulled the trigger on a new rifle and I would also give the Browning X-bolt a look, I have had several of these and fit and finish was perfect and they all shot outstanding right out of the box........lots of great rifles avaialable....Good luck with your choice.....Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The barrel on a Rem MR is quite thin; they are very light up front. I don't know about the Sako but an EW has a whole different feel to it. A Rem XCR might be more comparable to an EW, and they are fine rifles.

I love my Mountain Rifles but they do have downsides. A little more weight in the barrel makes a big difference in handling and "hang". Not saying one is better, but they certainly are different.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Winchester EW and replace the stock with an Edge when funds allow. I used mine in the factory stock for a couple of years and liked it. I ran across a used Edge stock in the classifieds here at a good price and bought it. Love the rifle now.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mag, what cartridge you want chambered in any of them?

What sort of hunting?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Prefer a .280 Rem. (from a reloading standpoint; I have gobs of components) but only Rem offers that. So looking at .270 Win. or maybe 7mm08 Rem. or even a 6.5x55 Swede would be nice but, don't think the Swede is offered in any of them.

Hunting WT deer mostly from lean-ups, climbers, makeshift ground blinds. Hopefully some spot and stalk hunting out west for prong horn, mule deer or elk. Saving up for a hunt. Mostly it would be for WT inside 250 yds.

I have all these chamberings in real nice wood and blue rifles (Sakos and a CZ) but lately my hunting conditions/style are getting rougher and I'm not wanting to subject them to this abuse.

I have looked at the Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Are there any others in this price range or lower that I should consider?

Tikka T3 Superlite or Lite

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Mag, what cartridge you want chambered in any of them?

What sort of hunting?

Just suggest the Kimber montana... Geeze.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seeing that you have nice Sakos and CZ's already, I'd be zeroing in on a synthetic version of either brand. Familiarity with your rifle is a good thing. All the cartridges you mentioned will fit nicely with your future plans.
Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Seeing that you have nice Sakos and CZ's already, I'd be zeroing in on a synthetic version of either brand. Familiarity with your rifle is a good thing. All the cartridges you mentioned will fit nicely with your future plans.
Good luck.

I also have several Remingtons, Rugers and Winchesters so, familiarity won't be an issue.

Stainless and synthetic is 'new to me' I've always stayed traditional until now. I did pick up a Weatherby Mk. V Accumark in .270 Wtby. for the days when I would rather not carry my Ruger No. 1 .270 Wtby. to the bean field. Now looking for something for general use.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Sounds like you have a pile of nice rifles but I didnt see you mention you had a Plastikka, get a T3 Superlite if you can, they have a cool looking fluted barrel, give one a try just for chits and giggles, I think you will be very pleased.....No way would I play another round of Kimber Roulette unless your an amateur gunsmith.............Good luck ..........Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mag, I've only had two of the three you're asking about, the M700 SS Mtn, and currently the M70 EW.

The Rem 700 SS Mtn Rifle happened to be a 280. It was the first Gen from the early 90's, an ADL w/ tupperware stock. As was noted, it has a fairly slender bbl. contour (unless the one you reference has changed).

The EW is an outstanding rifle (mine is ridiculously accurate) with enough "heft" to settle down. Were I in your shoes and wanted a LA, that's what I'd pick in 270 or 30-06 (though mine is a 308 and that's what I'd chose - or 7-08). I much prefer the 3-pos safety that locks the bolt over the 700 safety that doesn't - climbing around in the mountains I've had 700 bolts open too many times to count. Also, the 700 safety slot is a pathway for water and snow into the trigger housing. Have seen the trigger ice-up to uselessness in the right (or wrong) conditions.

Like others, I swapped out the M70 B&C factory stock for a McMillan Compact Edge, and added PT&G aluminum bottom metal. It is still light enough to pack, but heavy enough to settle down. I'd prefer it in a deer stand over the Remington every time. Ditto on the mountain. Like was mentioned, run the factory stock and see what you think. You can always sell the stock and get a McMillan later.

The Sako... well it's incredibly ugly. The magazine makes me throw up in my mouth a little... laugh

My 308 EW, 7lbs 12.5oz's scoped, with sling and 4 rounds... at home in the mountains or on the flats:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Good luck.

I also have several Remingtons, Rugers and Winchesters so, familiarity won't be an issue.

Stainless and synthetic is 'new to me' I've always stayed traditional until now. I did pick up a Weatherby Mk. V Accumark in .270 Wtby. for the days when I would rather not carry my Ruger No. 1 .270 Wtby. to the bean field. Now looking for something for general use.

Having a chit ton of different firearms doesn't make one "familiar" with them......If anything, it adds to the unfamiliarity when out in the field..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Love the Rifle Brad! And an outstanding picture to boot!........Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
The Sako... well it's incredibly ugly. The magazine makes me throw up in my mouth a little... laugh

Brad, I hate the mag as well, and replaced the factory shroud as soon as I figured out an 85 version would work.

Rez Roughtech gumbo pro edition.

300 WSM, weighs 7lb 2oz with the 6x42 scope(Edge stock).

Pure beauty!

[Linked Image]

Uber accurate, ube trigger.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a sako fan in general and have 2 A7s but not the roughtech stock, the earlier one whatever they call them now.
Both are accurate and relatively lightweight, and being a wood guy they are the only plastic ones I have but I would give them a high recommendation. I rank them right up there with my wood 700 mtn rifle when I don't want to (or are someday unable to) carry one of the wood or laminated stocked cannons.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There were a couple for sale here not too long ago, might want to search the classifieds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a Model 700 Mountain stainless in 7-08. I like it. It does have a thin barrel, but shoots 140 NABs and 140 NBTs very well. I've messed with the Model 70 EW, but do not own one. Fine rifles from what I see and hear.

Personally, I like the B&C stock. I have very large hands. I have a couple of Edges and McSwirlys, and they are nicer, but they should be for the $.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Rez Roughtech gumbo pro edition.

You forgot the "rez-runner pistol grip extreme model" moniker!

Samo, ugly is as ugly does!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It cycles the WSM like butter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 66 invisible), 15,963 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,788
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.