Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Are any of you campfire members planning on doing a little Axis deer hunting this spring or summer? I've got one hunt planned for late June and I may try and go another time if I can get loose here at work! It's a great way to spend the off season as well as a little $$. Later guys, Elk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im heading south on May 9th! laugh Will be meeting another 24HCF member for an Axis hunt. Looking forward to it big time! I don't know if I'll ever shoot and eat another mule deer or whitetail, Axis are THAT good. Fun to hunt too!

Will post pics upon my return. grin

Just got my hides back from last year, so I had to take a pic cool

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 03/22/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like you will be gone when I stop by on the annual gopher murdering trip. You're gonna miss me.
Sounds like some fun times for the slow twist in May, though.
Peace.

Have Dog

Will Travel

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Now that looks awesome sir! I hope you kill a monster buck as well as a couple slick heads for the freezer. I agree with you about eating Axis. I haven't eaten a WT in over 10 years. I'm going to have to get me a sticker like that for my Creedmoor because that just looks 2cool!
I'm changing ranches this year due to a big price increase in my old place so I'm a little apprehensive about this summer but maybe it will work out! I hope you take a bunch of photos of your hunt so you can share with us! Later Buddy, Baker

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Slow twist aint going this time...Im taking my "big" gun...the .243 grin

And I'll throw in the McFlame...just 'cause grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The plan is one buck and one doe.Then maybe a little blackbuck hunting grin If your new place doesn't pan out, let me know...Ive got a couple places I can refer you to.

Though it will be hard to top the axis you've gotten in the past anywhere!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm told one was killed across the road from my deer lease last year, so I'm hoping they wander over toward me this year smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
They will wonder for sure. They are all over the hill country and aren't just a high fence animal to hunt!

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
The plan is one buck and one doe.Then maybe a little blackbuck hunting grin If your new place doesn't pan out, let me know...Ive got a couple places I can refer you to.

Though it will be hard to top the axis you've gotten in the past anywhere!

I'm having a hard time finding a place that will let me bring my wife. She likes to take photos as much as I do. I hunt with an old buddy every summer somewhere and I'll continue this hunt but now finding a place for basically only one hunter has proven more difficult. It's hard to say where you can find a good axis buck but it important to find a big ranch with lots of brush so they can grow old enough to reach their potential.

One ranch I've hunted several times has several trail cam photos of a true giant in a pasture that's a little over 1200 acres and has some really thick stuff along the river. The deer has never been seen in the daylight. I hunted him for 3 days straight the last 2 years and never seen him. My timing isn't working out this year for a hunt there so I'm still trying to firm up the dates on another place this summer! Let me know how you hunt goes....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
I'm having a hard time finding a place that will let me bring my wife. She likes to take photos as much as I do.

I am sure http://baker3ranch.com/ can accommodate. Right outside of Rocksprings, Tx.

"Non Hunter:
Special Trophy Axis Hunt Package Hunt – $2000. If you would like to accompany a hunter on their experience but not hunt yourself, you can still take in the beauty of Baker3Ranch"

Have not hunted there yet. I will definitely be whacking an Axis this summer. I much prefer August.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Id love to work in an Axis hunt. Just not in the stars right now. I did walk up on these two Fallow boys several weeks ago while at the family place up by Lampasas.

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Im heading south on May 9th! laugh Will be meeting another 24HCF member for an Axis hunt. Looking forward to it big time! I don't know if I'll ever shoot and eat another mule deer or whitetail, Axis are THAT good. Fun to hunt too!

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. I'm gonna do that some day. Beautiful animals aren't they?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I'm having a hard time finding a place that will let me bring my wife. She likes to take photos as much as I do.

I am sure http://baker3ranch.com/ can accommodate. Right outside of Rocksprings, Tx.

"Non Hunter:
Special Trophy Axis Hunt Package Hunt – $2000. If you would like to accompany a hunter on their experience but not hunt yourself, you can still take in the beauty of Baker3Ranch"

Have not hunted there yet. I will definitely be whacking an Axis this summer. I much prefer August.

Yes sir I've been on the Baker3 before when I lived in Uvalde. They have a large herd of Axis and they do have some big deer from time to time. Thanks for the link.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Slow twist aint going this time...Im taking my "big" gun...the .243 grin

And I'll throw in the McFlame...just 'cause grin

Takes a brave man to take a "flame" gun to Texas... shocked

And, it takes more than Texas stickers on your rifle stocks to make you a real Texican... blush

Jus saying... laugh

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The McFlame has been to Texas a few times...

The Texas stickers are there because Big Stick used up all the skull and crossbones stickers!

And I wanted him to see what a proper rifle in the "petting zoo" looked like grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

Cool pic. I'm gonna do that some day. Beautiful animals aren't they?

Johnny you know I have a "thing' for big mule deer...

But axis are great good fun to hunt and last years was the prettiest deer Ive ever killed....

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I love hunting them spotted deer!! This buck was from about 2002.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EH49

Check this link out, click on the Axis specials.....this guy has a good rep over at the Texas Hunting Forum...

http://www.southernbuckoutfitters.com

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
EH49

Check this link out, click on the Axis specials.....this guy has a good rep over at the Texas Hunting Forum...

http://www.southernbuckoutfitters.com

Will do, thank you sir!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I love hunting them spotted deer!! This buck was from about 2002.

[Linked Image]

DATS what Im looking for! laugh

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.