Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, I intended to post a couple of pic of the AGFC First Elk Hunting Pamphlet but for some reason Ph. Bk. isn't uploading now.

So the pamphlet says that 112 Elk were brought to Ark in the 'early' 80s. They came from Co. and Nebraska.

There were 20 permits allotted with 2 of those donated to RMEF for fundraising. So only 18 were up for draw in the first year. Of those only 5 were for antlerless elk.

The FIRST Elk hunt in modern day occurred in 1998.

So it has been @ 35 yrs since the first transplants arrived. Today we have many new generations SINCE the first transplants.

And this yr. makes the 18th yr. to hunt Elk in Ark.

For 2015 there we 12 bull tags and 24 'antlerless' tags. From 20 tags in '98 to 36 tags for 2015 the herd has been growing pretty well.

Obviously the 2016 Elk season has not been announced PLUS the impact of CWD has not been determined so..... we don't know anything about the 2016 Elk season yet?????

If/when ph bk accepts uploads I'll be glad to post pic of that FIRST pamphlet.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay, I guess I had to wake Ph Bk up. It finally worked.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I hope it doesn,t affect our deer season.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
craig -

Unless there is some rapid deterioration I'd expect only the 'area around Jasper' to be affected. I think it'll also depend on how many other cases of CWD and WHERE they are found.

It's just too early to know much.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Yea I suppose so
Although they close the area I hunt when the water level gets too high at Patterson YET I can drive around the farm without spinning a tire in 2 wheel drive and no water going across our low water crossing on Caney creek which runs through Part of our farm !!
I mean absolutely no water on the farm other than what little is in the creek.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

IC B2

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
craig -

yep -

AGFC---"intelligence"

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems that they found another deer, dead, from the same area. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well.. Today they announced a THIRD case of CWD in Ark. This one is also in a WT deer.

Little info is available right now but AGFC has said all 3 cases are in Newton Co.

eek cry

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
miles = you posted while I was typing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
mad eek
The latest news is EVEN worse for CWD in Ark.

TWENTY-TWO (22) cases have now been CONFIRMED in N Ark. So far only ONE (1) Elk has tested positive but TWENTY ONE (21) WT deer have tested positive.

I'm giving a synopsis from the AGFC.. You can Google "Arkansas CWD" then select 19 more cases confirmed (KTHV 11).

--**-- I have copied & pasted the whole article IN NEXT post.**

260 Deer & 18 Elk have been taken (killed) & tested. Four (4) cases were OUTSIDE the focal point. cry Those 4 were either found dead or killed by vehicles.

Some of these were from 'Boone" Co.,next to "Newton" Co. Jasper is in Newton Co. and the Headquarters for the Elk permit drawing held in June each yr.

This was posted Today March 24, 2015 and there are more details in this site.

Man! It just makes me sick!! Again it's still too early to know how far & wide this MAY spread and the GFC has not issued any details toward this year's Elk and/or Deer Season.

eek eek mad mad cry cry

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/23/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm trying to copy/paste the report.

19 more cases of chronic wasting disease confirmed in Arkansas
AGFC , KTHV 4:03 AM. EST March 24, 2016

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AGFC) – Bad news continues to roll in from north Arkansas amid the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission’s efforts to find the prevalence rate of chronic wasting disease in the area where the disease initially was detected. Results from last week’s tests revealed an additional 18 deer and a single elk with the disease.

Last week, tissue samples from 49 deer and elk taken in and around the 125,000-acre focal area were sent to the Wisconsin Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Madison for testing. Out of the 18 positive deer samples, four were found just outside of the AGFC’s focal area. Those deer were either found dead or were killed by vehicles. The single cow elk was taken from the Boxley Valley area of Newton County.

Arkansas now has 22 CWD positive samples from the state’s deer and elk. Before today’s lab results, two deer and an elk had tested positive for the fatal disease. All three of those initially tested cervids came from within Newton County. Today’s test results included 17 positive samples from Newton County and two deer from Boone County.

The first animal in Arkansas confirmed to have CWD was a 2½-year-old female elk. The elk was killed by a hunter Oct. 6 on the Buffalo National River near Pruitt during elk season.
The disease was confirmed on Feb. 23.

As of today, more than 260 deer and 18 elk have been taken for sampling. Another large batch of samples is currently at the Wisconsin lab with results expected late next week.

The AGFC will continue its efforts to sample elk that appear to be sick from throughout the known elk range. Due to the large number of positive samples, including samples outside the established focal area, emphasis will be placed on collecting samples from road-killed deer and sick or dead deer throughout northwest Arkansas in order to determine the extent of the disease’s distribution.

The latest test results were a blow to AGFC Chief of Wildlife Management Brad Carner. “This is not good news. We were hopeful that all positive samples would be contained within our focal area. That’s obviously not the case,” he said. “We also hoped to find a low prevalence rate in the test samples. We’re disappointed, but still focused on the job at hand,” Carner noted.

Landowners continue to be very helpful in allowing the AGFC access to their property, Carner says. “Much of the land within the zone where the agency is working is privately owned. We continue to ask for their help and help from anyone who sees a deer or elk that appears to be ill.”

The public can report sick deer and elk by calling 800-482-9262 or by email at cwdinfoagfc.ar.gov, 24 hours a day.
Although there are no confirmed cases of CWD transmission from cervids to humans or to livestock, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and the Arkansas Department of Health recommend that people not consume meat from animals known to be infected with CWD.

The AGFC is holding weekly public meetings in Jasper at Carroll Electric, 511 E Court St. The next meetings will be held March 24, 31 and April 7 beginning at 11 a.m.

Visit www.agfc.com/cwd for more information.
------------------------------------------------------------

I believe all of it copied.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's here you all are so F%^&ked your state as you knew it, is beginng to be non existant SORRY!!!

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mo -

I'm not so sure it's AS bad as you say. I've seen a map showing CWD in Western States and it's concentrated in some areas and less in other areas.

Also Elk & Deer hunting IS still happening in THOSE States.

I'll try to find that map at least give a link. Give me a little time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mo -

I found the pic of the Nat'l map per CWD. As you can see there are many States which have it and some of them are very popular States for Deer & Elk hunting.

This pic is FROM -**Wikipedia>>Chronic wasting disease **

[Linked Image]

As you can see there are SEVERAL States that have CWD plus some Canadian provinces and the Mid West & N E States at least to New York.

I'm NOT saying it's good but it's NOT the END of all cervids & hunting.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
no it won't end but the $hit storm from fish and game going ape $hit batty with rules mandatory testing blah blah blah sometimes you might not care if you hunt or not worked for the idiots when it hit here

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mo -

How did deer hunting change in Mo. after CWD was confirmed ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely more worse!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is we will see some very liberal bag limits this year. The herd needs thinned in a huge area around the hot zone. Much of the elk herd will have to go too. I'm hoping it will be through hunting and not culling.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
My guess is we will see some very liberal bag limits this year. The herd needs thinned in a huge area around the hot zone. Much of the elk herd will have to go too. I'm hoping it will be through hunting and not culling.

Ain't that the truth ! ! !

IF, IF they don't allow the Elk to be HUNTED, I'll be **THROUGH** trying to help the AGFC. That's ALL I'll say about it but that says EXACTLY the way I feel.

I've been looking for recent Elk pop. #s and haven't found any estimates. In the article I posted, G&F said the locals were being cooperative. Since I don't live in the immediate area I don't have any idea what the pop. is.

I've been searching this AM and nothing new has been posted since yesterday.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Definitely more worse!

kingston -

? IF ? you are indicating to use 'more worse' THAN worser, that's okay. I said it to draw attention to the subject. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,840 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.