Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I am just fortunate to live in good blacktail country.

I remember the first time I left the state to hunt whitetail..I didn't go far,just to Idaho..I felt that whitetals would be easy prey...

I was humbled to say the least.. It was a whole different world and a whole different deer..It wasn't until I started to employ whitetail techniques before I had any luck..I was hard headed and it took a while to sink in...LOL

I think coming here during the general rifle season for a out of stater would be much harder than what I went through in Idaho..

If it was me I would look real hard at the late muzzleloader hunt..The McKenzie unit is 13 days right in the peak of the rut and a much greater chance of success..The downside is it might take a couple years to draw it.There is a chance though for a first time...The plus is you could hunt general season and learn more about it for when you did draw..

The big boys crawl out of the thick stuff then..

Something to think about..

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love the pic with the face-paint. When my private land still-hunting honeyhole was in its prime, may it RIP, I wore a turkey hunting camo face net thingie when getting in tight with them. It seemed to help.

Thinking this is the year to try for the High Cascade hunt as a 2nd choice (assuming it still reverts to a regular blacktail tag) and get up after those PCT hybrids... I killed one up above Cougar one year, and other than having a long body and short legs, he was one fine looking and big-bodied buck. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This is my best blacktail, yet..... he's got that nice white face, double throat patch and the black cap.... I believe this was the 29th of October. I wasn't going to shoot this deer.... until I got a good look at him at 3 yards. I remember actually thinking "that's the most beautiful deer I've ever seen".... so I watched him for a minute..... then shot him.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another'n.... not quite as big....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Dogshooter,classic double throat patch..Nice.

I will be up there also,in the High Cascade..The area I hunt is mostly mule deer that have crossed over..Drop down just a couple miles and blacktails are more prevalent..

A fun hunt to be sure..

Here is some of the larger blacktails I have either photographed or got a trailcam pic of..These are all west of the Boone and Crocket boundry,which is west of the national forest line I believe..Like I said,I live in a GOOD area. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A giant forkie is my dream buck,unfortunately I couldn't find him come season..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Santiam; 03/28/16.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A couple more,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
Not only is the black tail buck a beautiful animal he's smart, very smart. Of all the deer I've hunted he's my favorite. In today's world, anyone who is lucky enough to take bucks like those I've seen posted here is lucky or a very skilled hunter or maybe both.

Last edited by super T; 03/28/16.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm loving these pictures guys!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If anybody has any good looking blacktail mounts on the wall feel free to share the pics.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn I miss santiams pics from the ol btc days.. Thanks for postin,some hogs!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I thought maybe I might be leading you on with larger than normal bucks..LOL This is what most bucks look like and what expectations should be..Also ,at least here in Oregon,the later in the season the better..The last week of general season is by far the best..The weather starts to turn nasty..Nasty weather and blacktail bucks go together like peanut butter and jelly..

After the general rifle,the muzzleloader draw hunts start..Like I said,this is the peak of the rut..The last week of muzzleoader is then shared with the first week of archery,which is a over the counter tag..

The first week of general archery is peak of rut,then goes downhill from there..

There you go,more research for you to do. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Daughters buck,

[Linked Image]

Wifes buck,

[Linked Image]

Another averaged sized buck,

[Linked Image]

Brothers buck,

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That horse sure puts the size of the deer in perspective!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Couple pictures of SW Oregon bucks:

2008 ... 4x4 blacktail .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun (the truck bed wall is 18" tall indicating this is decently wide for a blacktail)

[Linked Image]

2012 ... 4x4 blacktail .58 TC Renegade, PRB ... this buck was heavier than the one above but a little shorter and narrower

[Linked Image]

2015 ... 4x3 blacktail, .257 Roberts Kimber Montana - note, this buck had one dry eye socket ... note the reverse orientation of the main beam. I've seen a few mounts like this but this is the first I'd ever seen live or shot.

[Linked Image]

So there are some nice bucks out there. To get one, you may have to pass up the little ones and risk tag soup.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M

So there are some nice bucks out there. To get one, you may have to pass up the little ones and risk tag soup.

Tom

Just quoting this so that it will not be overlooked.

Gospel...

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
GREAT posts Fireball!

I can't really speak to killing big blacktails with any authority. I've killed a bunch of blacktail bucks (and several that were clearly blacktail/whitetail hybrids, and one "benchleg" or "bentleg" which is our colloquial term for the mule deer/blacktail hybrids you see up at the crest of the Cascades). Mostly, as I was learning to hunt them (I didn't start deer hunting until ~ 1999, in my mid-30's) I tormented the fork horn population. Then I figured out how to more reliably kill 3x3's or small 4x4's and had a good run with those. I've only killed one big blacktail. He was with a hot doe at the onset of the rut. She busted me, he was focused on gettin' some tail and didn't see me until it was too late.

[Linked Image]

Seafire mentioned that there's a population of whitetails near Roseburg; if you are after a "prototype" blacktail you'll want to avoid the area east and north of Roseburg up to about Sutherlin as there's a lot of hybrids. My honey hole was about 10 miles north of Sutherlin and I was clearly in a fringe whitetail area with those genetics present.

I hear rumors of deer killed all the way up by me, in the Eugene area, with whitetail genes. Have not seen that.

My advice would be to come at the end of the season, very late October into early November. October itself is often hot and dry, terrible conditions for killing a blacktail. MUCH better after the rains come in and the rut starts! On that note, hunting in the rain is my favorite. Not a downpour, just our classic drizzle.... it energizes the deer, the dripping from the trees really helps cover your sounds, and everything on the ground gets much quieter to walk on.

One thing that might be an unpleasant surprise to a Southerner is how low the deer densities are. Be prepared for that. I don't know why that's the case, but as a rule, it is. There are exceptions. I will be very happy to give you my best spots if you do come out. Still, just be ready to NOT see deer. You can hunt hard, do everything right, and get back to the truck in the dark having not seen so much as a doe. That's routine... It can be hard to keep your morale up.

For a rifle any deer cartridge will work. Hard to argue against a 7-08 or .308... but I would advise putting some care into the optic, in terms of low-light performance. Our low light, in western Oregon, has to be experienced to be really understood.... with dense clouds at low levels, huge trees, fog, and steep terrain it can be DARK while still legal to shoot. My best low light scope is a 3-10x42 Swaro AV. My next best are my Conquests. Obviously YMMV here but a 40 or 42mm objective and etched reticle are your friend. Be sure to outfit the scope with Butler Creek or other flip-ups and practice using them.

I also think a good pair of high quality monoculars (that's for Skane! grin) is crucial equipment. I use Swaro 8x30 SLC's and they are perfect for still-hunting. I use them constantly.

Then, there's a whole other type of blacktail hunting... that's to get out into the big clearcuts in the coast range (that's where the logging is, not on NF land anymore) and see who you can catch in the open. This is usually going to be a longer-range affair. Guys make whole careers out of hunting them that way. It often amounts to road hunting. Still, you can locate and "snipe" treelines or feeding areas that would be hard to hunt any other way.

Killing a big boy would be awesome but to me, any public land buck is a worthy kill... However I can certainly see that a guy flying from afar away might want to hold out for a big one. smile

There's several books out... Boyd Iverson's "Blacktail Trophy Tactics" is probably "the" one to buy if you just buy one.

Everything in this post is pure gold.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 04/06/16.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

"If it wasn't for the pu**y and the prestige.....nobody would want to be a gunsmith."
MColeman
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great pics!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the best collection of blacktail photos I've seen. wow and thanks!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If this doesn't get your blood flowing check your pulse, you may be dead! grin Pay close attention to where these bucks are at in the photos.

LOL
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Very very nice pics of the family and their hunting success there Wapiti Hunter...

[Linked Image]

Kudos to the little girl especially if she shot that one... that one has a monsterly impressive rack...

Thanks for sharing...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,402
Posts18,470,144
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.