Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11074524 03/26/16
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
From the "Muzzle Loading" forum

Don't ruin an ML by using anything but smokeless powder.

Swampy's re-born ?

I AM going to post any of my own further "Muzzle Loading" equipment news, or project related esotrica,... HERE on the Campfire BPCR forum.
I'd encourage anybody else running BP through a flinter, or cap ignited long OR SHORT gun to do the same.

Would welcome any disagreements, about so doing,....not that it's going to make one goddam bit of difference, and don't expect sugar cookies and cocoa response to any drivel indicating that this is a mis guided thrust.....

How to run smokeless pressures without a brass cartridge case has NOTHING to do with what the term MUZZLE LOADING actually means. It's BASICALLY an excercise in going around one' azz to get to one's elbow.
It's also very DEEPLY embedded contemporary "lore" in some dirtbag anti 2A zones.
....can't BELIEVE how degenerate these regulation embracing a-wholes have become.

So,....let's hear it.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/26/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fuggem

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
And the diseased spavined nag they rode in on ?

....yeah, we COULD go there.

I'd rather not,...just calling out the fact that terms, and phrases once held dear as MEANING something simple, straightforward, and accepted CAN and DO change.

What some folk, God bless em' are calling "Muzzle loading" is incomprehensible,...

....a trip to a weird planet,...one that bathes in BLASPHEMY.

This place is ABOUT Black Powder,...all I'm doing is bringing my muzzle loading back to where it belongs, as far as I can see.

....The HELL else am I supposed to go ?

GTC

Pride Of Man
by Hamilton Camp

(Em) Turn around (A) go back down go (C) back the way you (D) came
(Em) Can't you see the (A) flash of fire (C) ten times brighter (Em) than the day
And behold the (A) mighty city (C) broken in the (D) dust again
(Em) Oh God the (A) pride of man (C) broken in the (D) dust a(Em)gain
Turn around go back down go back the way you came
Babylon is laid to waste Egypt's buried in her shame
Their mighty men are beaten down the kings are fallen in the ways
Oh God the pride of man broken in the dust again

Terror is on everyside though the leaders are dismayed
Those who put their faith in fire in fire their faith shall be repaid

Shout a warning to the nations that the sword of god is raised
On Babylon that mighty city rich in treasure wide in fame
It shall cause thy towers to fall and make it be a pyre of flame

Thou that dwell on many water rich in treasure wide in fame
Bow unto a god of gold thy pride of might shall be thy shame

And only God can lead the people back into the faith again
Thy holy mountain be restored thy mercy on thy people hoard

Last edited by crossfireoops; 03/26/16.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know the idea of the whole "in-line muzzleloader" trend is to allow longer range shooting, in "muzzleloading seasons". I guess I might consider it, if I was in an area where the "muzzleloader" season was much more desirable than the regular rifle season. Otherwise, I just don't see the point of them.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The areas where "muzzle loader seasons" are more desirable seem to be DEMOGRAPHICALLY poor, on many levels,...take note of all the states where the 'expertise' drizzles and drips from.
The equipment's SOUL, if it had ANY, would be that of a back alley shyster / lawyer, dressed head to toe in synthetic plastic.
Certainly not that of an American sportsman,in wool.

As far as "Longer Range Shooting" goes,...there's a whole world of embarrassing realities one might have to confront, in denigrating fine BP fueled ML rifles.

Back later,...gotta' go check the level in my ML soaking bucket.

GTC

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Otherwise, I just don't see the point of them.

Pat I got one when my eyes got bad and they are easier to scope. Although mine has the capability, I do not shoot 150 gr. of powder and try to make it a long distance gun. I limit my shots on deer to around 100 yds or less, and have killed several deer with it. When I first started with the black powder, it was with a Hawkins and it was a bonus deer. Not so now as your tags are equal between muzzle-loader or center-fire. Archery is the only way to pick up an extra deer. Limits are more liberal now and I seldom fill my tags, just shoot what I want to eat. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years back, faced with ever increasing strength of prescription for glasses, I was a bit depressed to look at open/leaf sights on a number of rifles gathering dust. An epiphany was had in the form of peeps/aperture sights and oddly enough, a trip back to the beginning.

In the beginning, well, not exactly the beginning, we had round balls and patches, black powder and loooong barrels. One of my loony friends conned me into a Pennsylvania style flinter with a 42" barrel. Fine blade and a shallow notch. Well, put that front sight out a bit longer than is common today and chitt happens...

Offhand, 50 yards, the 1 o'clock strike on the left target was a casual fouling shot.

[Linked Image]

It is one of my favorite diversions.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Dan, your post pulled me back from the edge. I was just eyeballing my 1860 Army and a can of H110...

Strangely enough, most of my irons have evolved into peeps in recent years too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image]Flintrifle by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

The above delivers this at 100 yards:

[Linked Image]Hawken Flintlock Rifle by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

100 grs. KIK 2F with 490 Hornady swaged ball, Canola oil patch lube cut at the muzzle, and Goex 4F pan powder. I'm proud I bought it!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good move, Cross.

My son at age 8, three gold medals and a silver in the teenage class, state shoot. .50 cal. Hawken round ball. The pictured target was at 100 yards, prone, with a brisk cross wind. Beat the men's winner by one point.

He's now a 48 y/o Army NG LTC, combat veteran of Iraq. He can still shoot.

Paul

[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,343 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.