Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Boddington from Sports Afield

IS AFRICAN HUNTING IN TROUBLE?

Is big-game hunting in Africa on its way out? A veteran safari hunter doesn't think so.
By Craig Boddington

"African hunting is in trouble!" During the convention season just past I heard that line a number of times. Far worse, I heard it stated that “African hunting is on the way out.” That’s a bleak prediction not just for our hunting world, but also for African wildlife. Is it true?

It is true that we who love African hunting and African wildlife--and we who dream of African hunting--have taken some serious knocks in recent months. Two years ago Botswana closed hunting on government land, including suspension of all elephant hunting. A year ago, after outfitters had their seasons booked and hunters had their plan in place, U.S. Fish and Wildlife suddenly banned important of sport-hunted ivory from Tanzania and Zimbabwe. Effective January 22nd of this year, Americans cannot currently bring lion trophies into the United States. Although currently open to hunting again, Zambia has been on-again, off-again, and in the wake of U.S. Fish & Wildlife’s action, it is uncertain if cat hunting will be open this year. South Africa, with a CITES quota of 150 leopards, has not issued any leopard permits for 2016. I could probably come up with a couple more catastrophes, but that’s enough for now!

Predictions of gloom and doom seem part and parcel of African hunting. Clear back in 1910, Theodore Roosevelt wrote that African game was going fast. He wasn’t exactly correct, but in general he and son Kermit found a game-rich paradise that will never be equaled. But not across the board. His safari was conducted after an epic ten-year rinderpest had swept much of Africa. Certain hard-hit species were extremely scarce, including eland, kudu, and buffalo. Greater kudu never recovered in East Africa, and remain very spotty in that region. There is a famous photo of the Roosevelts perched on a buffalo. One assumes it was the best they could do, but, honestly, it’s a young, soft-bossed bull that would no decent PH would allow to be shot today.
The Barbary wild boar is the primary game in Tunisia, which has been open to hunting for forty years. It’s one of several African destinations that Americans know very little about.

Years later, after his 1934 Green Hills of Africa safari, Ernest Hemingway complained that the game was going fast. In 1953, after the safari that gave us Horn of the Hunter, Ruark predicted the same. As I’ve often said, “gloom and doom” about Africa seems almost unavoidable: After a first safari almost everyone seems compelled to believe that he or she saw Africa at its best, and no one following well see its equal. I did the same in 1977, and perhaps I can be forgiven because Kenya closed (probably forever) a few weeks after I hunted there.

One good thing (I guess) about growing older is that one gains the perspective of years. Africa is an unstable continent, and to some extent catastrophe is a cyclical thing. We all remember that Kenya closed in 1977, but many of us have forgotten that this was just one hit in a very difficult decade. Tanzania closed in 1973. Angola, Mozambique, and Uganda petered out due to civil unrest over the next couple of years. Chad closed in 1978, and southern Sudan closed in 1983. Any wonder why, in those days, we thought the end of the game was near?

Fortunately we were wrong, and I think dire predictions are wrong again. Let’s examine briefly the real situation with our recent disasters. First, Botswana is not closed. “Safari hunting” is officially suspended, not closed, on government land. Vast areas of private land remain open with great plains game hunting. It is true that safari hunting will not resume under Botswana’s current government, but Botswana is a working democracy, and that government will not be in power in a couple of years. I predict things will change again, and Botswana will reopen. I believe this because rural Botswanans want it to, and because the country’s gross overpopulation of elephants makes hunting a management imperative.

The ivory ban in Tanzania and Zimbabwe is regrettable for both countries, the outfitters in both countries, and the elephants. However, when Sudan closed in 1983, Africa’s elephants were being subjected to a widespread wave of commercial poaching even worse than today’s admittedly serious poaching problem. Botswana closed elephant hunting and Caprivi was not open at all. We believed elephant hunting was finished. Clearly we were wrong, because we had been overlooking the southern countries that were not subjected to widespread poaching. Today we have great elephant hunting in northern Namibia, and more permits in South Africa every year. Despite the importation issue, elephant hunting is still open in Mozambique, Tanzania, and Zimbabwe, and I believe in time Botswana will reopen. Opportunities are not as good as they were just three years ago…but I submit that elephant hunting today is better than it was in 1990.

America’s cessation of lion importation is a most regrettable thing for hunters who dream of facing a lion. In the grand scheme I genuinely believe it is very bad for Africa’s lions, removing much value from an animal that rural Africans regard as a dangerous nuisance. Because of the way the ban was done it appears highly unlikely that sport-hunted lions will ever again be imported from Central and West Africa, meaning Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, and Central African Republic. That’s a disaster for the lions in those countries. But the door is open for a permit process for lion importation from East and Southern Africa. It will take time to sort through this, but I believe there will be a permit process. Again from the standpoint of years, this is not as new as many believe. Too many of us have forgotten that, starting in about 1973, Americans were forbidden to import leopards, a situation that remained until the CITES treaty in 1983. Today we have a longstanding and relatively simple permit process for importation of leopards. I cannot say this will happen with lions, but since I’ve seen it before this is my belief.

As for Zambia, this last go-round was not the first time Zambia has had a temporary closure. A previous one lasted from about 1998 to 2003. Zambia has reopened, and they are not the only country to reopen. Mozambique reopened in the late 1980s as their civil war was winding down, and not only has remained open but has resumed its place as a primary safari destination. Uganda has reopened and is getting better every year. Other countries are more volatile. C.A.R. has had a long series of openings and closings based on civil unrest, but when it’s safe it’s definitely a hunting country. Chad has reopened twice in the last twenty years, and is open now.

With the cessation of lion importation I hear that leopards are next. Why? We, both the American “we” with U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the international “we” with CITES, have a permit process in place and a sensible by-country quota system. There are perhaps two million wild leopards in Africa, an altogether different situation from lion estimate, with the lowest number often quoted at 35,000. This year’s South African debacle is cited, but it’s important to understand that this is purely an internal South African issue. They didn’t have their stuff together and didn’t issue their permits. The Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA) is taking legal action to rectify the problem, and I believe it will be rectified, though perhaps not in time for the 2016 safari season.
In the late 1970s Americans hunters could not import leopards. Since then, the leopard has rebounded and a permit process has been in place since 1983.

So much for current problems. In the main, African hunting is stronger than ever. At this writing some twenty-two African countries have some type of legalized sport hunting for foreigners. This is far more opportunity than was available in 1980! Several of these-—Guinea, Morocco, Senegal, and Tunisia—-are virtually unknown to American hunters. Others are highly specialized, or have very small and limited outfitting industries. But they are open. Also, in 1980 there was limited hunting opportunity in both Namibia and South Africa, and bush war in Zimbabwe-—then Rhodesia-—made much game country unsafe. Both Mozambique and Tanzania were closed in 1980. I single out these countries because, in terms of numbers of safaris and foreign sportsmen hosted, they are almost certainly Africa’s five most important hunting countries today, probably followed by C.A.R., Cameroon, and Zambia.

Since Roosevelt’s day both African wildlife and African hunting have proven more resilient than we give either credit for. Hunting works in Africa’s wild lands because it places value on wildlife, and because hunting outfitters conduct more effective antipoaching than most African governments. This fact is recognized enough that there are more hunting countries than ever before, and while I don’t believe any hidden hotspots remain, there is potential for additional countries to open or reopen hunting over the next few years. The “potentials” are a fairly long list and my crystal ball isn’t working, but I rate the most likely possibilities to be Angola, Eritrea, Gabon, and Southern Sudan. Right now we’re negotiating some serious bumps in the road, but I do not believe African hunting is in trouble, and I certainly do not believe it is on the way out.

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
All I know is that I am booked for buffalo and sable in Zimbabwe. I was going to defer to when I was older and focus on the more physically difficult hunts but my view has changed with Africa.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
We are seeing more threats than ever before due to growing populations in Africa with the subsequent loss of habitat and greater demand on natural resources. Also the larger worldwide population seems to have grown exponentially more ignorant than the previous generation.

All hunting will change in the next generation IMO.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I think it's on the way out. The new factor is the general revulsion against trophy hunting which is building--has built--among the non-hunting population, and the great anthropomorphizing of animals in general. From Cecil to Sea World's decision to not have killer whale shows any more to boycotting GoDaddy because its CEO hunts PAC elephants and airlines refusing to ship trophies, the trend is accelerating.

We now have the USF&WS making elephant hunting illegal in areas where there is even an overpopulation of elephants and outlawing lion hunting even if CITES says these measures are not necessary.

There will still be hunting in Africa but it will eventually be for plains game only. No more Big 5. Lions are out, probably for the rest of our lives. Rhinos are out. Elephants are out in most of the areas where you could really hunt them. I suspect the bleeding hearts will soon take leopards out. Buffalo will remain for awhile because there are so many buffalos.

Add to that the population pressures. "Scientific American" says the population of sub-Saharan Africa may reach 6 billion in this century. Then add in the fact that nations where there are Moslems are, frankly, dangerous. Boddington says you can still hunt sleepy-goaty things in Morocco or Tunisia but that's not my idea of an African safari.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In one word

Yes

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated." ~~~Mark Twain

I would like to think this quote also refers to African hunting. Time will tell.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tedthorn
In one word

Yes

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Boddington may not believe that African hunting is in trouble, or is on its way out, but then again, doing it and writing about it is his livelihood.

After several safaris to Africa, over the past two decades, I have seen marked changes, from permitting and firearm importation, restrictions on species such as Lion (thanks USFS), countries alternately banning and re-instituting hunting, and an increase in the hunting of 'exotic' African species- black Impala, white Blesbok, etc., come to mind, animals bred specifically for the oddball market.

Poaching, and agricultural encroachment, will continue to exact a terrible toll on Africa's wild game and habitat. If these events are not controlled, or reversed, the end result is inevitable. It will not happen overnight, but rest assured the experiences in Africa your kids or grandkids will have will be different than yours were.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Glad I went when I did, cause I think things are going to continue to go down hill where African Safari hunting is concerned. I hope it doesn't. JMHO.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I think it's on the way out. The new factor is the general revulsion against trophy hunting which is building--has built--among the non-hunting population, and the great anthropomorphizing of animals in general. From Cecil to Sea World's decision to not have killer whale shows any more to boycotting GoDaddy because its CEO hunts PAC elephants and airlines refusing to ship trophies, the trend is accelerating.

We now have the USF&WS making elephant hunting illegal in areas where there is even an overpopulation of elephants and outlawing lion hunting even if CITES says these measures are not necessary.

I have to say that I would not be willing to spend the sort of money being asked for elephant and lion if I was not able to bring back the trophies. But that may be a moot point, as I don't have funds in the budget to support those hunts anyway.

At least we can still hunt (mountain) lion here in the US. I might be able to budget for that.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Unfortunately, the antihunters have made quite a bit of money (something like 750 MILLION, IIRC) from the whole "Cecil the beloved lion" (that nobody heard about until AFTER he was shot). The knee jerk reaction that followed by groups and businesses that followed 'the outrage' was predictable.....because it was all about money & politics; nothing more, nothing less.
However, when you play those games, there are unintended consequences: Look at the Hollyweird "Freaks and Geeks" that have backed Peta's "don't where fur" campaign....they all the sudden found out that Peta's against animal lab testing as well, and when that testing is looking for a cure for AIDS (a cause that all of Hollywierd is behind), then they come at odds with the self proclaimed animal saviors.
I think in the short term, there will be more damage....what we as sportsmen & women need to do is educate the public as to how "sport hunting" and "trophy hunting" is not a "bad" thing.....the meat doesn't get "wasted", and most of use would gladly freight it home...if our govt. would allow it; that 'ecotourism', in and of itself, will not sustain animal species; that the banning of hunting in most areas has led to population explosions (point out Kenya's elephant populations) and subsequent starvation (how humane was that?); that "poaching" and "hunting" are NOT the same thing; that not all areas can be adapted to western farming practices to supply the locals with food (i.e. the Kwazunatal is NOT the same as a Kansas cornfield); and that damn few, if any, of the money they sent in to support 'Cecil' and his brothers has gone to help preserve lion habitat, lion studies, or anything more than propaganda for the antihunting nuts.
...and while 'bans' can be implemented at will, they can be lifted just as quickly; usually without as much fanfare as they were put into effect (remember the assault weapons ban?).
I've been to Africa once; I plan on going again...

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go Yesterday, or sooner!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Lord I hope not, it'd be to easy to spend 50/60K a year for the next 25 or so years of my hunting career.

I can see it a much harder habit to break than breathing if a mans not very careful. smile

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Lord I hope not, it'd be to easy to spend 50/60K a year for the next 25 or so years of my hunting career.

I can see it a much harder habit to break than breathing if a mans not very careful. smile

Great minds...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope not. As of now it is a distant pipe dream for me and those like me. Since my childhood I read all of the famous writers and their escapades in/on the dark continent. I read with the anticipation of knowing I would go their someday.

Now, my only chance to do so, assuming it "remains open", would be through either some large inheritance or the happenstance that I might buy a winning lottery ticket. Considering I don't often buy lottery tickets, maybe I have a rich relative of whom I am currently unaware.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Big Sky,

My wife and I went to Tanzania a few years ago on a photo safari for three weeks. It still is pricey, but no more so than a nice elk hunt here in the States.

It was a fantastic trip, the best either of us have been on. Never for a moment did I wish I had a rifle rather than a camera.

Taking a good photo is far more challenging that taking a good shot.

About 30 - 40 yards away, while I was standing in the open with nothing between us. This was a "safe" spot, and the visitor was a complete surprise.

[Linked Image]

Have photos much closer, but really like the shape of the horns and the color of the grass. One of those "magic" moments.

[Linked Image]

Poaching is a massive problem. Here is a photo of the game wardens about to go out on patrol - full auto AK's. ALL vehicles and persons entering the control area must check in. Their rules of engagement are simple and easy to understand. Any vehicle they see which did not check with them, they open fire on sight.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Big Sky,
My wife and I went to Tanzania a few years ago on a photo safari for three weeks. It still is pricey, but no more so than a nice elk hunt here in the States.

It was a fantastic trip, the best either of us have been on. Never for a moment did I wish I had a rifle rather than a camera.

jeffbird, a good friend and I had this exact conversation recently. That is a good point and I can honestly say, truth be told, I would a) probably enjoy it just as much; and, b) be able to afford it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
[quote=16gauge] Unfortunately, the antihunters have made quite a bit of money (something like 750 MILLION, IIRC) from the whole "Cecil the beloved lion" (that nobody heard about until AFTER he was shot). The knee jerk reaction that followed by groups and businesses that followed 'the outrage' was predictable.....because it was all about money & politics; nothing more, nothing less.

When the antis banded together and used the Cecil row to plaster a 150-story technicolor image of Cecil over the Empire State Building that Jaws line popped in my head, "We're going to need a bigger boat."

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was rereading a chapter from JOC The Art Of Hunting and in it he bemoans the demise of African hunting. This was written in the early 1960s.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,652
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.