Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
WyoJoe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody here that has done it? What was you experience like?

I have been bitten by the handgun hunting bug BAD!!

Wondering what a .270 WSM built on an XP100 action would be like paired with a .500 S&W.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've handgun hunted in South Africa several times. Some African countries don't permit handgun hunting at all.

Your prposed 270 WSM would be great for the majority of commonly hunted animals. The 500 S&W Magnum with the right bullet would take anything else.

WyoJoe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Your prposed 270 WSM would be great for the majority of commonly hunted animals. The 500 S&W Magnum with the right bullet would take anything else.

That is pretty much my reasoning right there. Thanks.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am no expert here, but the 270 WSM has a lot of powder to burn in a short barrel

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yea, it doesn't take long for the powder to burn; a few miliseconds. I have a 13 inch (once inch of that is brake) Encore barrel in 375 H&H Magnum which would have more powder and it burns just fine.

IC B2

WyoJoe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
Yea, it doesn't take long for the powder to burn; a few miliseconds. I have a 13 inch (once inch of that is brake) Encore barrel in 375 H&H Magnum which would have more powder and it burns just fine.

Awesome. What bullet and powder are you running in it? for my .375 H&H the go to load was the Sierra 250 gr Game King over a healthy dose of RL-15.

How hard is the recoil in your Encore?

Martin Luther King, Jr.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image]

The above is one load. In my opinion, RL-15 is the best powder for 270 and 300 grain bullets in the 375 H&H Magnum.

Recoil is brisk; similar to a braked 500 S&W Magnum. I put tape at the base of my thumb when shooting it in order to keep my skin intact and also wear a weight lifter's glove. A 270 WSM won't be nearly that bad.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my best hunting pards from a few yrs ago.....He took an Elephant and a Lion, along with a dozen head of plains game....all with a contender.

[Linked Image]

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That is impressive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Short barrels work smile

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
dang 375 h7h in a pistol sounds fun!

D
D
Have made three trips (Zambia) with a handgun for Buff. Used a single action revolver, 5 1/2 in barrel and iron sights. The point of the exercise IMO is that you have to get close and the stalk is the most exciting part. You get to make more stalks if your limit is inside 40 yds. Obviously eye age can rule this out (has for me at this time)but it sure is a lot of fun if you can do it. If any one is interested, e-mail me at dmoring1gmail.com and I would be glad to share info on pistols, cals., loads, etc.
THIS IS AFRICA we are talking about so all current regs. regarding handguns need to be carefully vetted. As EH said "In Africa more than anywhere in the world, something can be true at first light and a lie by noon."

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Handgun hunting is prohibited in Namibia. However, it is permitted in other countries, like South Africa. Especially when hunting in thick bushveld conditions where you can stalk to within 50 yards or so, that .500 S&W would be strong medicine for just about any species of plains game.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just out of curiosity, is it any more difficult traveling to and from an overseas hunting destination with a handgun as opposed to a long gun?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
D
Kingston,
The short answer is that yes, handgun restrictions are often more onerous than for long guns overseas as well as in the US. After my first trip Zambia (where handgun hunting was then allowed, don't know about currently) I made sure to fly direct to Lusaka with my bags checked thru since the regs. in SA were impossible for iron sighted revolvers. Back then the pistols "had to look like hunting weapons, not self defense weapons". The officer in charge told me he would let me thru this time even though my pistols had short barrels and no scopes Made for a long trip and concerns about missed connections in Jo'berg in subsequent years, but better than the alternative.
Truth be known, my worst moment as transferring from Newark to JFK with handguns when some inexperienced police officers, unaware of the exemption for airport transfers, wanted to cuff me and for a Sullivan Act violation.
Unreasonable fear of certain weapons is a worldwide phenomenon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,642
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.