Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks,

I'll keep the radar on. They should be interesting.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I camped in one of these this weekend taking my son to the Kalamazoo Air Zoo. It was rough man. The door to the pool was slightly sticky and the A/C button was kinda hard to push. Also i was scared that I wasn't going to be able to watch opening day baseball but alas the ESPN came through.

[Linked Image]

He got to see his favorite plane though. He loves the SR-71. This one being the ONLY SR-71B. I'm not an aviation guy but man I was in awe of the aircraft. There was an engine near the display and what a magnificent display of craftsmanship. I could have looked at this plane alone all day.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by k20350; 04/06/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think for a guy like you, perhaps next time your needs might be better met at a Marriot. grin

That Holiday Inn sounds a might rough.

Geno

They at least had the technology for you to get ice and a wake up call I hope.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
13' Gheenoe with 6hp yamaha 4 stroke that I use to camp the river swamps here in the Florida panhandle . Picture taken several miles south of I-10 on the Blackwater river . Mostly a shallow river -I can wade across in lots of places -lots of snags -downed trees and places where the little Gheenoe must be pulled through on foot [portaging] . It's one very relaxing place to go -I've never seen another boat since it takes a little work to get up it -have seen kayaks coming down river on warm days though.
Boat is rattle can camo now .

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry Shires Contrail tent ,CZ 221fb leaning against cedar tree , hammock and my river slippers .
I had planned on taking a five day river hunting/camping/trapping/fishing trip this year but it was hot all winter long -I hate skeeters in January.

You guys have some cool camping outfits !

[Linked Image]

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
New 'camper'.

[Linked Image]

I'll bet your trailer smells like a$$ laugh

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

I own tents, have camped in the atv hauler trailer on cots and travel trailers.
I prefer the latter.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
[Linked Image]

I own tents, have camped in the atv hauler trailer on cots and travel trailers.
I prefer the latter.

I'm guessing the front slide out is the confessional?

Geno

PS, where's Otis?

In it is contentment

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Well you can still lay out under the stars with the camper. However now you can get up and go inside away from the swarms of Mossies!

One of the really nice parts of the camper that I never realized up front was that once it's stocked with food and all the things we needed to live, there is nothing but a few clothing items to bring along. I can decide at noon on a thursday I want to go someplace and I'm ready to go by 1:00!

That thing sits in the shop building plugged in ready to go at a moments notice. I no longer have to remember a 1000 things and carefully pack every item into a vehicle, or backpack. It's 20 min to throw clothing together, 20 minutes to add water to the 80 gallon tank, and 10 min to hook up the trailer to the truck.

On our extended trips, I find it quite a nice feature to pull into a rest area and take a nap, watch a movie on a Memory foam mattress, make a nice hot meal, take a shower, etc. Nope.... not camping by my measure, but wow..... this is sweet to have at my fingertips when I need a break from driving.

Walmarts also have a nice policy regarding overnights in their parking lots. I've found that they are comfortable to turn around in as they are usually huge and empty in the distant spaces. Get groceries to stock up, and room to park. Again not camping,... but a hella lot cheaper, cleaner, and more convenient then a hotel when on the road! Plus now lots of them are selling diesel fuel too!

Yes, the "all stocked up and ready to go" feature is pretty nice.

I had a 34' Winnebago diesel pusher for about 5 years. It was the most pleasant highway-cruising vehicle I ever had! I kept it fully stocked from spring thru fall, except for the fridge, so I didn't need to plug it in. As you say, it's a great home/office-away--from-home/office.

I bought it because my ex had become incapacitated by MS and the only way she could get out (which means the only way I could get out!) was in that RV. I took it on fly-fishing trips, bird-hunting trips, the works. It was pretty sweet.

When I sold it 5 years later I did a costs spreadsheet and discovered I could've stayed at motels and eaten at high-dollar restaurants on every one of those trips and spent thousands less than I did on loan payments, maintenance, and repairs on that old hog. I don't regret it, it gave me and the ex some great times we wouldn't have had otherwise. Best day I had with that RV was the day I bought it, and the second best day was the day I sold it. No regrets now, but I wouldn't do it again!

I'm back to my previous camping style again, now: backpack, boots, light mountain tent, Thermarest, and a down bag. Otherwise a Wee-no-nah, a dry bag, tent, and mummy bag. I love it simple.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doc, you mentioned "light mountain tent". This is what we used back in the 70's.

[Linked Image]

And here was our cooking equipment:

[Linked Image]

Fun stuff then, inexpensive too. Probably couldn't get much use (legally) out of the pots nowadays. Most of the places we went then are now stoves only, no firewood gathering (not sure there's any wood left)

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I'm guessing the front slide out is the confessional?

Geno

PS, where's Otis?

Yes.
The night drop is that lower door.....

Otis is always around, unless I'm big game hunting.

Have Dog

Will Travel

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hahaha! You read my mind too well, amigo! A poly tarp, 30 feet of poly rope, and a couple of half-gallon billy-tins!

I spent--cumulatively--months and months under the stars in the Alberta and BC mountains with such equipment, and I never felt deprived. I'm out of town at present, otherwise I'd go out to the garage and snap a pic of my old Camp Trails Skyline backpack, which I will never get rid of... although I doubt I'll ever carry an 80 pound load-out in it again!

The gear I have nowadays is way more high-dollar, but I doubt it works any better, really.

I had a Black's Icelandic down bag, a pair of Galibier mountain boots (started out with Kastingers), an Optimus gas stove (cooked a lot of freeze-dried packets in snowmelt water on that baby!), a pair of light wool Swedish army surplus pants for cold weather and some moosehide moccasins for wearing around the campfire. Wish I could find some pics of that old rig. I logged a lotta lotta miles at and above treeline, bagged 40+ Canadian Rockies summits, and traversed countless passes with that rig.

Schittass, listen to me. Carryin' on like an old man...

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/07/16.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's a handsome devil.

Otis that is.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Hahaha! You read my mind too well, amigo! A poly tarp, 30 feet of poly rope, and a couple of half-gallon billy-tins!

I spent--cumulatively--months and months under the stars in the Alberta and BC mountains with such equipment, and I never felt deprived. I'm out of town at present, otherwise I'd go out to the garage and snap a pic of my old Camp Trails Skyline backpack, which I will never get rid of... although I doubt I'll ever carry an 80 pound load-out in it again!

The gear I have nowadays is way more high-dollar, but I doubt it works any better, really.

I had a Black's Icelandic down bag, a pair of Galibier mountain boots (started out with Kastingers), an Optimus gas stove (cooked a lot of freeze-dried packets in snowmelt water on that baby!), a pair of light wool Swedish army surplus pants for cold weather and some moosehide moccasins for wearing around the campfire. Wish I could find some pics of that old rig. I logged a lotta lotta miles at and above treeline, bagged 40+ Canadian Rockies summits, and traversed countless passes with that rig.

Schittass, listen to me. Carryin' on like an old man...

Doc, that was spendy equipment for suburban kids when I grew up.

Pic of my brother's sleeping bag, notice the flannel? It was not down. Mine was similar:

[Linked Image]

My boots were genuine surplus Vietnam boots, drain holes and everything. We did spend money on real wool socks. Pants were Levis, wool "Pendleton" shirts, cotton long johns, and a windbreaker and poncho for inclement weather. Might have carried a pair of Goodwill used wool suit pants too.

Many of our packs were interesting. Used to be able to just buy the pack bag from various mfgs. We made our own Alum frames. One of our leaders worked for a defense contractor. Gen Dynamics/Convair or some such and had access to something used to bend. We had bent 3" alum bows and screwed alum tubing to it. Made for relatively easy repairs on the trail should one break. grin (just realized there's one of those frames leaning against a tree in the pic of my brother's camp.) I think one of our leaders had a real Kelty Pack and Frame. Stylin' for the times.

[Linked Image]

Heck, I thought the equipment I had was quite the improvement from my boy scout days when I had no frame, just a surplus WWII or Korea "knapsack"! Dang, those strap cut into my (then) bony shoulders.

Did your passes look like this?

[Linked Image]

Sure does bring back memories. Only time I now want to put 50 or so pounds in a pack is to get meat out of the woods!

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 04/07/16.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did a lot of bare bones camping growing up and through my 20's. In my 30's tents got bigger and got married. We tent camped for a while and then rented cabins and finally our own.

[Linked Image]

Still camp for deer season though the tent is big, comfy and heated!

[Linked Image]

View is good too!

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs, thanks for sharing your "camps" with us.

Those pics from Western MD?

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by ironbender
New 'camper'.

[Linked Image]

I'll bet your trailer smells like a$$ laugh

Not yet! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lovin' it Hig,

But what if someone wants to get by on that seemingly plowed trail/road?

Looks like the kids are happy. That's important.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.