Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
romad97 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
How are Montana Rifle Company rifles in terms of fit, finish, quality, and accuracy? How do they stack up against something like a kimber montana? Specifically I am asking about their x2 model. Are their stocks fairly good quality?

HR IC

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have an X2 7mm08. Very happy with it. Shoots as good as I can shoot. Reviews have been pretty good on accuracy overall. Fit and finish is great on mine and others are reporting the same. Nice thing is they will do some customization right at the factory for a reasonable price. Things like barrel length , fluting .Feeds great with both the hornadys and remingtons I have ran through it. I had an issue with the safety being hard to work but that worked itself out. I am loving it really.
Dont buy one if you are looking for a light weight rifle. I wouldnt consider it heavy but its not comparable in weight to a Kimber montana. Weights were generally heavier than advertised. Weight seemed to be the biggest complaint from those purchasing. Mine is just under 8lbs with a 22 inch barrel, tally LWs and a swaro av 3-10x42 empty.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not real happy with mine, 300WM. Like has been said safety is erratic. I have had a terrible time getting it to shoot well. I don't seem to have a problem with other rifles & cartridges. Loaded up some 30-06 for the wife's Marlin & it shot approx, 3/4 inch with her pulling the trigger. Have not been able to do that with the Montana and have tried several recipes. They are heavy in comparison to most other brands. I have the ASR with stainless & Walnut.

Last edited by DLALLDER; 04/05/16.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Heavy,clunky, lots of cast parts. The safety on one of mine broke in half...twice. If you like heavy and clunky buy a Ruger at least they are reliable and accurate, at less than 1/2 the cost.

Lefty C

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The above is the first bad things I read about these guns. Everything else ,other than weight, has been positive. Been eyeing one of them up myself.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get a Model 70 and drop it into a McMillan. Even better, re-barrel a Kimber. You'll be better off.

MRC are kind of hit or miss. I was not been impressed with their customer service on the misses. Plus, they are heavy compared to other actions.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I own two left hand MRC's. As noted above, not the place to start if you want a mountain rifle. Other than that, mine are accurate. Fit and finish are good. The actions are the smoothest factory actions I have ever owned. Their Short Actions have a 3.125" magazine box from the factory.

As a South Paw, I can buy a complete Left Hand MRC stainless rifle for significantly less than the cost of a stainless Left Hand Winchester M70 donor action. Any future LH CRF projects that I build will start with an MRC action.

JMO... YMMV...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shoots into just over and inch with the first load tried.
Slightly heavy, but not obnoxious. Any who thought it was a LW wasn't paying attention.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.338Federal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
romad97 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for all the replies. They do sound like nice rifles but, the consensus does seem to be that they are heavier than what I am looking for.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Weight is not everything. I sold a Remington KS Custom Shop because of buying a Montana Rifle Co product. If I can carry it at my age you should be tough enough to handle another pound too.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by boliep

Weight is not everything. I sold a Remington KS Custom Shop because of buying a Montana Rifle Co product. If I can carry it at my age you should be tough enough to handle another pound too.

I would agree, however there is a point where weight becomes a factor, but for me 8-9 lbs isn't it. If need be I'd rather take a few pounds off my body than worry about an extra lb or so of a quality rifle.....but that's just me.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I am still tempted to pick one of these up. Itd said it would be $1100 to have a stainless Douglas spun on a stainless action. Seems like a good price considering stainless nh m70 prices + a barrel and smith fees.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mliang
Get a Model 70 and drop it into a McMillan. Even better, re-barrel a Kimber. You'll be better off.

MRC are kind of hit or miss. I was not been impressed with their customer service on the misses. Plus, they are heavy compared to other actions.

Why rebarrel it?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dogslife57

I would agree, however there is a point where weight becomes a factor, but for me 8-9 lbs isn't it. If need be I'd rather take a few pounds off my body than worry about an extra lb or so of a quality rifle.....but that's just me.

Heard this so many times. Sounds good but not accurate. You're comparing weight on your body which is distributed relatively evenly on your body. The pound or 2 on your rifle is typically carried on one side of the body or the other. Adding instability. It is also carried in a hand or on an arm which increases the effort it takes to pack that weight. Especially when hiking inclines, rough ground etc.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by romad97
How are Montana Rifle Company rifles in terms of fit, finish, quality, and accuracy? How do they stack up against something like a kimber montana? Specifically I am asking about their x2 model. Are their stocks fairly good quality?

They ain't even close to a Montana. Quite frankly, and to MRC's credit, nothing handles like a Montana.

MRC's are thick and heavy. The ones I've handled feel ok in say, .300 Win.

But anything smaller is a compromise.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct and I don't see any asking where they can find a pair of boots that weigh 8-10 pounds no matter how much weight they have lost.

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by mliang

Why rebarrel it?

My fault. I should have said, "If needed, rebarrel a Kimber." Same with the Model 70, "if you feel it's needed drop it into a McMillan".
Personally, I think the Kimber is the best deal. Great stock, excellent action, usually shoots well out of the box. If it doesn't it can be made to shoot with are a barrel and bed. MRC just can't match the handeling characteristics of a Kimber no matter how much you polish it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Heard this so many times. Sounds good but not accurate. You're comparing weight on your body which is distributed relatively evenly on your body. The pound or 2 on your rifle is typically carried on one side of the body or the other. Adding instability. It is also carried in a hand or on an arm which increases the effort it takes to pack that weight. Especially when hiking inclines, rough ground etc.

This whole lose a few pounds of body weight BS is a cop out. So you lose three pounds and all of a sudden the muscles in your forearm, bicep, shoulder, tricep etc are that much stronger. Yeah right. Go walk 30 minutes on a treadmill at a 8 incline with a 8 pound barbell in one hand. Lose five pounds and do the same test. Guess what, your friggin arm is still going to be tired as hell. The people who say I'd rather lose a couple pounds instead of carry a lighter rifle show that they have very little experience with working out and physical fitness. Those in the gym putting in the work realize there is a whole lot more to strength, cardio, conditioning and the ability to cover miles and miles with a rifle than just losing a couple pounds.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by STS45
Originally Posted by Tarkio

This whole lose a few pounds of body weight BS is a cop out. So you lose three pounds and all of a sudden the muscles in your forearm, bicep, shoulder, tricep etc are that much stronger. Yeah right. Go walk 30 minutes on a treadmill at a 8 incline with a 8 pound barbell in one hand. Lose five pounds and do the same test. Guess what, your friggin arm is still going to be tired as hell. The people who say I'd rather lose a couple pounds instead of carry a lighter rifle show that they have very little experience with working out and physical fitness. Those in the gym putting in the work realize there is a whole lot more to strength, cardio, conditioning and the ability to cover miles and miles with a rifle than just losing a couple pounds.

This is an old thread at this point and not to start a urinating match......however having trained fighters for 40 years and treated and rehab musculoskeletal conditions for 30 years, I would agree there are many variables to strength and fitness and weight loss and it would all be in context of the individual, my experience is, drop the 30 lb belly, keep the 9 lb rifle and you'll get up and down the mountain a lot easier. I like my 7 lb rifles and my 10 lb ones, I would rather carry the 7 lb ones but also use the 10s. But my opinion proves I obviously have no practical experience with fitness or working out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.