Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have a lot of files, mainly pictures and some Word documents. Just wondering if I am doing the right thing using thumb drives going forward.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
That's what we use here[business] after backing up everyday. Then they go in a media safe and that into a fireproof file.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I back up my writing on a thumb drive. Works for me.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Portable USB hard drive.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use thumb drives as well....and make at LEAST one redundant copy...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thumb drives for temporary and dvd's for permanent. all my tax records and important docs go on dvd's and get kept in my gun safe.

fyi, thumb drives do fail. dvd's are pretty fool proof if kept stored properly. by the time they fail, you won't care anymore.

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thumb drives are my back ups.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Both thumb drives or DVD's are good for medium term storage. A few years or so. DVD's are probably a bit hardier and easy to keep multiples of for years, but usb drives can be much larger and store more.

Also remember that on things like pictures, if they get corrupt on your computer and you back it up again to the same thumb drive that you just lost your only good copy. So having at least a couple of thumb drives to rotate through is good. I have thousands of pictures of Savage lever actions and assorted that I've saved, and I see a few go corrupt on disk every year. No idea why... I blame cosmic rays.

I have an external hard drive that I back things up to. $70'ish for about a terabyte if you find a sale was the last I saw.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just set up a 3TB external backup drive.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
SD Cards

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calhoun
BI see a few go corrupt on disk every year. No idea why... I blame cosmic rays.

Your tinfoil hat needs to be adjusted. That fixes it every time.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have seen way to many fail. If it matters, get two reliable external drives or use a cloud backup.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thumb drives are cheaper and more convenient than DVDs, and probably just as long-term safe, as long as you don't keep writing to them. NAND flash memory, which is what thumb drives use, wears out. As far as anybody knows, you can read it forever, but there's a definite upper limit to the number of write cycles it can sustain. It's different for each chip, and once you're past it, your data is completely and irretrievably gone because of the way NAND flash works.

I'm hearing something on the order of a 100,000-write limit for the good stuff these days, more like 10,000 for the run-of-the-mill cheap stuff, with wear-leveling technology giving you multiples of that as long as you don't fill the drive up.

If I was serious about backing up a large amount of data, I'd back it up every day to a spindle (old-style rotating magnetic hard disk) until I had enough to fill a thumb drive (8GB? 16GB?). Then I'd copy it onto two separate thumb drives and squirrel them away, preferably in different places, and never write anything to either of them ever again. Then I'd start accumulating more data on the spindle again.

If the disk I was backing up from was an SSD (that is, flash memory destined one day for oblivion), I'd arrange for the initial daily backup to two spindles. So far I've had two SSDs in the 250GB range abruptly and permanently fail on me. They're fast fast fast, but spindles are still more reliable.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barak
Thumb drives are cheaper and more convenient than DVDs, and probably just as long-term safe, as long as you don't keep writing to them. NAND flash memory, which is what thumb drives use, wears out. As far as anybody knows, you can read it forever, but there's a definite upper limit to the number of write cycles it can sustain. It's different for each chip, and once you're past it, your data is completely and irretrievably gone because of the way NAND flash works.

I'm hearing something on the order of a 100,000-write limit for the good stuff these days, more like 10,000 for the run-of-the-mill cheap stuff, with wear-leveling technology giving you multiples of that as long as you don't fill the drive up.

If I was serious about backing up a large amount of data, I'd back it up every day to a spindle (old-style rotating magnetic hard disk) until I had enough to fill a thumb drive (8GB? 16GB?). Then I'd copy it onto two separate thumb drives and squirrel them away, preferably in different places, and never write anything to either of them ever again. Then I'd start accumulating more data on the spindle again.

If the disk I was backing up from was an SSD, I'd arrange for the initial daily backup to two spindles. So far I've had two SSDs in the 250GB range abruptly and permanently fail on me. They're fast fast fast, but spindles are still more reliable.

Yikes, I write to the 16GB drives almost daily.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glock 19 in a hideout rig under my desk...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use nothing as what I have is rubbish. My wife stores her chitt on cloud nine or something.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Glock 36

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have been building my own computers for twenty years, and I am a pack rat.

That means, I have a box of old hardware. So I pulled out a couple of old IDE HDD's and copied all my pics of the grand kids, and anything else which seemed important to one of those HDD's. Then I cloned that to a second HDD.

One of them is in a box under my bed. The other is stored at my daughter's house.

Every year or so I plug em back into the desk top and add the last year's pics, tax returns, etc.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

Yikes, I write to the 16GB drives almost daily.

Me too. I have a thumb drive called SNEAKERNET that I carry around in my pocket with my keys and use incessantly to move stuff from one computer to another.

But it's my third: the first two wore out and died.

Just divide your thumb drives into backup drives and transfer drives. Put your important stuff on the backup drives and leave it there; write on your transfer drives as often as you like, but keep in mind that you might lose your data between work and home or whatever.

Suggestion: get yourself a decent-name flash drive (Crucial, Kingston, SanDisk, something like that) of reasonably high capacity and use it for your transfer drive. It'll have expensive, high-quality flash that'll give you a fair amount of life.

Then go to Amazon and search on "bulk flash drives," and buy a ten-pack of no-name drives for less than $30. Use those for backup. They'll have only a few thousand write cycles available, true, but you'll only use one write cycle, so you'll be fine.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2TB SSD

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (2500HD, 06hunter59, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 32 invisible), 12,065 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,235
Posts18,544,210
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.