Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
And I'm still happy with it. So much so in fact that I'm struggling with the idea of buying a new one. It still looks and functions like new. It's a Hoyt Xtec XT1000 limbs. 70 lbs and 26 1/2 inch draw. It's incredibly accurate, I have to be very careful while practicing cause I can easily ruin a mess of arrows/fletching.

Recently I took it in to have it restrung and the guys at the archery shop tried to convince me it was time for a new bow. They almost made me feel guilty, but after shooting a good number of very expensive new ones I came away unimpressed.

I am happy with what I have but they got me thinking as I drove away. Am I a dinosaur? Should I get with the times?

Last edited by Dryfly24; 04/12/16.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If it ain't broke...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Screw 'em.
My bow (only 2nd season with it for me) was made in 1972.
If it works good for you, run it.
Deer don't care how much you spend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
And I'm still happy with it. So much so in fact that I'm struggling with the idea of buying a new one. It still looks and functions like new. It's a Hoyt Xtec XT1000 limbs. 70 lbs and 26 1/2 inch draw. It's incredibly accurate, I have to be very careful while practicing cause I can easily ruin a mess of arrows/fletching.

Recently I took it in to have it restrung and the guys at the archery shop tried to convince me it was time for a new bow. They almost made me feel guilty, but after shooting a good number of very expensive new ones I came away unimpressed.

I am happy with what I have but they got me thinking as I drove away. Am I a dinosaur? Should I get with the times?

If you ain't impressed with the other options, don't change. When you are, do.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I shot my Hoyt Cybertec for 12 years and I loved it. It shot better than I do and I killed a bunch of deer with it all over the country. About 3 years ago, I started wondering about the same things you are. If it ain't broke.... I finally broke down and bought a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. I set it up exactly the same way. Same rest, sights, quiver, etc. With the same draw weight. Shooting the same arrows, it's 35 fps faster, much quieter, has no vibration and weighs a lot less. I know it will be a lot more comfortable to carry when it gets cold. I can't wait to hunt with it . Technology has come a long way in 13 years. I love my old bow and its there if I need it but I've been wondering lately, why I waited so long. Good luck with your decision.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I shot my Hoyt Cybertec for 12 years and I loved it. It shot better than I do and I killed a bunch of deer with it all over the country. About 3 years ago, I started wondering about the same things you are. If it ain't broke.... I finally broke down and bought a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. I set it up exactly the same way. Same rest, sights, quiver, etc. With the same draw weight. Shooting the same arrows, it's 35 fps faster, much quieter, has no vibration and weighs a lot less. I know it will be a lot more comfortable to carry when it gets cold. I can't wait to hunt with it . Technology has come a long way in 13 years. I love my old bow and its there if I need it but I've been wondering lately, why I waited so long. Good luck with your decision.

The Carbon Spyder the one I've been eyeing for the very reasons you specified. But after shooting it I didn't feel enough of a difference between it and my old bow to sway me. A lot of good advice received here. I guess I'll just keep shooting my Ol' reliable until it quits being fun. . .

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
Dryfly,
I doubt you'll get to the point where shooting your bow quits being fun. The only other observation I had was, that it took a while for me to notice the differences, other than speed. It took shooting it over about 10 days for everything to become clear. I say all I have about this new bow, never having hunted with it. The jury is still out but I'll know for sure in September.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob,

There's no doubt the Spyder is a better bow than my old Xtec. I could feel the differences when shooting them back to back - especially in speed, weight and let off - but it just wasn't enough of a difference for me to justify the expense.

Plus, I'm sure the sentimental value I have wrapped up in this bow probably has a lot to do with it as well. No doubt I'll get another bow eventually, but it's just not time yet. I'm still enjoying this one too much. . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the speed, weight, and let-off become enough to justify the expense (especially if/when you can find one on a deal), then make the switch to the new bow as being the "primary". Having "ol' Reliable" as the "back-up" is never a bad thing.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I'm completely agree with both of you!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New isn't always the answer, but it isn't really bad either. You should look at the Mathews line and in the Halon in particular. The advances in bows over the past 12 years is worth consideration.

I had a Hoyt Trycon in 2007 and tried the Mathews "Drenalin" and it was an improvement over the Hoyt. I have had several new bows since, but with the Monster "Chill" I have been pretty happy. If I can sell it, I will buy a new Halon, if not, I will keep it.

My oldest son is an excellent shot with a bow and won 2 bows in the last 3 years, shooting league. He got the Hoyt Carbon Spyder 2 years ago, when he was shooting a Mathews Z-7. He says that his Mathews was a better shooting bow, but since he won it at the shop, he should shoot it there.

This year he won a Bow Tech, but isn't going to open the Box, he will trade it in on the Mathews Halon and sell the Carbon Spyder.

New bows are easier to shoot, faster and more quiet, you really should consider a new bow, you wouldn't be sorry.

My son has also killed his share of nice elk with a bow, it isn't just for shooting at the range...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 04/13/16.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I actually dislike many of the new bows draw cycles.
Yeah they can get good speed from 60# now (instead of running 70#) but it doesn't feel good to these old bones.

72# with Cam and a half Hoyt........is comfy to me. Prefer 65% letoff too.

Don't need the fastest rig out there. I don't compete at 3D. Gave that up some time back. Just hit a course once in a while now, for fun. Trad gear.

I demand a certain feel there too, and why I shoot one brand. Current model is old, slow B50 rig........but I always wanted one. Not as quiet or fast as the ones I had built. But I like it. Makes shooting fun.

And FUN trumps all else IMHO.

Used to buy 2 top end compounds a yr......glad I got out of that mess.
IIRC I've had 30 or so compounds, and as many recurves. Buds have all sorts of old and new rigs, that I get to try out.

Eh, Hoyt cam and a half (loved my Protec except for the weight).
Didn't care for my Mathews SBXT.
Maybe a new Blackwidow PCH sometime...

Last edited by hookeye; 04/13/16.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dryfly 24 your post is most WELCOME. I get so tired of hunting with people who look at my bow and ask, what in hell is that thing? I tell them Oneida Aeroforce. And they ask who made it. Then I have to say Oneida. Then they ask who in hell are they? That gets to be a pain. And things really get bad as soon as they see that I am still shooting aluminum arrows!!! GEEZE you would think that I was Jack the Ripper or something. I have a lot of those arrows because i bought them from an archery store that was going out of business for a good price. I fletch them myself and nock them and they shoot just fine. THEN they see my old 150 grain, three blade Rothar Snuffer broadheads and THAT USUALLY does it. They go off mumbling about the "werid" old guy with the "funny" old gear.

But I sometimes rifle hunt deer with an old 45-70 Sharps. Then everybody that sees it seems to think that old rifle is COOL and they want to see how it works. Some even want to shoot it. Why is it that having an old gun is cool but having old archery stuff makes you werid? I don't get it.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobWills
Dryfly 24 your post is most WELCOME. I get so tired of hunting with people who look at my bow and ask, what in hell is that thing? I tell them Oneida Aeroforce. And they ask who made it. Then I have to say Oneida. Then they ask who in hell are they? That gets to be a pain. And things really get bad as soon as they see that I am still shooting aluminum arrows!!! GEEZE you would think that I was Jack the Ripper or something. I have a lot of those arrows because i bought them from an archery store that was going out of business for a good price. I fletch them myself and nock them and they shoot just fine. THEN they see my old 150 grain, three blade Rothar Snuffer broadheads and THAT USUALLY does it. They go off mumbling about the "werid" old guy with the "funny" old gear.

But I sometimes rifle hunt deer with an old 45-70 Sharps. Then everybody that sees it seems to think that old rifle is COOL and they want to see how it works. Some even want to shoot it. Why is it that having an old gun is cool but having old archery stuff makes you werid? I don't get it.

I'm thinking this guy has been here before. Just a "general" suspicion.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

A lot of good stuff here. The dead deer won't care if he was done in by state of the art equipment.

Another good point you bring up - and I've often wondered about myself: Why is it that when you go out hunting with an old rifle people think it is cool; but go out with old archery equipment and people treat you like a leper?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm confused by your post 4ager. ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm confused by your post 4ager. ??

Bob's posts are becoming remarkably more like someone who posted here before. The "general" was a hint.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been here long enough to make 93 postings on the Camp Fire. I think there is some way that you can look all of them up, but I don't know how to do it. Anyway, here are my old bows. Try not to laugh.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

And here is the required photo (of a photo) to show that I am a real bow hunter. I see that some of you have a lot of postings. You have been around a long time. I've been around a lot of years so I am not new to anything and neither is my equipment. If you boys have some kind of forum initiation that I have to do, then lay it out. It may be fun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bowshops are in the business of selling new and expensive equipment.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I`m shooting a 12 yr old bow too. It has a life time warranty so I won`t be buying one any time soon. As far as I`m concerned they cost too much and depreciate way to fast.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Aluminum is good in those old Oneidas.
String overtravel means they need a hefty spine.
Aluminum offers a wider variety of spine/weight and the old Easton charts were on the money.

Carbons can be a PITA, but once a setup is found, is pretty sweet. I run Goldtips.

Could NOT run 55-75 Goldtips in my 60-80# Aeroforce, even down at 70#. Only solution was to slap a short overdraw on it to cut/stiffen them up. Only OD I found was the longer PSE with big integral shelf/plate. Wanted the older one that took an extra bolt on for safety (which I never used- on the bottom it's worthless).

So maybe get another Aeroforce. Have had 2 Strikes, 3 Aeroforce and one Screamer. Fun bows. Rather have a Black Eagle 2 but not paying what the market says they are worth.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I do run GT 35-55 in my old 48# Blackwidow HF1225.
Manufacturerd in 1972.
Centershot OK, but had to add weight to insert for perfect paper tune. Dunno speed, don't care.
They fly great, FOC decent.........should work.

55-75 GT with 100gr insert, flew perfect from my 1983 Blackwidow HF58 (59#).

Now that the doc says I have arthritis, why I hurt all last yr, and has me on mild med that makes me feel pretty good.......I wish I had the HF58 back frown

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, that's a Ktech 3" stabilizer with Mathews S coil module. Helped balance that bow. Fun rig. Went to buy another one Monday and it was sold frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I shoot an older Browning compound. It's gotta be 15-20 yrs old now. Set to 53 lbs with a single pin sight, I am comfortable to just about 30 yds. I darn near take a whitetail or two just about every year with that old stick.

-Ken

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hookeye

I also have a Strike Force. It's hanging on the wall out in the garage. I haven't used it much. I like the longer and heavier Oneida bows. They are very forgiving. The new short, light bows are not. But the Oneidas are nosey. You can see all of those Limb Saver silencers and brush buttons on it. And you are correct about using Fast flight strings on the Oneidas. You better have a stiff spine on your arrows, especially when you shooy a heavy, fixed blade broadhead like I do. I probably ought to try some of the newer folding points, but just haven't because the Snuffers work fine and I am not sure how the folding points will hold up shooting hogs. Maybe some of you fellas know about that and I would be glad to hear what your experience has been.

Gotta go on a long weekend turkey hunt now. I'll catch up with you fellas next week sometime.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Strikes are fairly quiet, small pylons and the swept limbs.
Rather have an Aeroforce and work on getting it less noisy.
Have not tried the stick tamer silencers.

Think next one will get bow hush on the string. LFM or BE2.

Cool mods can be made, have researched some at 5150 bows.
No skeletonized aluminum outers avail last I checked, so dumped my Aero. Was bought to hot rod.

I have shot Snuffers from recurves. Nice hole in and out of the deer. Not the strongest head though. Aluminum adapters suck. Those bend very easly. Next time I run any, will go with steel. Probably go with a harder epoxy and tweak as it sets up.

I like the G5 Striker heads, for a replaceable fixed blade.
Ran them from my wheeled bows. But got a deal on some Magnus Stingers, so ran them from both compound and trad.

Not much for compounds, as far as fingers shooters go. Older Oneidas could go 50% letoff. Huge brace height helped tame them, since they were fast for their time.

Almost bought a Monster (no cam lever bow) but couldn't get past the shoot through cables.

Wish they did a split power limb and cable guard like the Discovery. Bass Pro's boy bought Oneida, only offer 2 models now.............Kestrel and Osprey.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get caught up in the buying of a newer "one or two year old bow" about every other year. I guess it's the same as rifles. Do I need to do so? No. I just like doing so. The major reason to upgrade to one of the newer bows, if you choose to do so, is because of the weight. It's amazing what difference one pound makes when hiking through the mountains (sitting on the couch for Big Stick) all day long.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, I just got back from the store and they got me. They put an Elite Impulse 31 in my hands and let me shoot the thing. I couldnt break the checkbook out fast enough afterwards. I'm amazed at how nice this thing is.

Smoothest bow I've ever shot. Rock solid back wall that feels like you could hold forever and man is it fast. Seems like I would barely touch off the release and the arrows would be buried in the target before it even registered in my mind that I had let go the string. Smaller, lighter smoother and faster. I guess now my old Hoyt will be relegated to back-up duty.

I said I wouldn't buy one till I found a bow that felt significantly different. I did. . . smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, it happens. The I31 is damned nice, as is the I34. I found the Primes, to me, to be just an RCH "better", but that is/was so subjective as to be silly. If I had it to do over, it'd likely still be a coin flip between the I31/34 and the Prime Impact/Rize.

You've done very well, and that will serve you a decade, easily. In another ten years, comparing that I31 to the Hoyt you have, just imagine how much better things will be and what might be possible (dead quiet, dead in the hand, smooth, solid back wall, 400 fps IBO? Maybe...)

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep, it happens. The I31 is damned nice, as is the I34. I found the Primes, to me, to be just an RCH "better", but that is/was so subjective as to be silly. If I had it to do over, it'd likely still be a coin flip between the I31/34 and the Prime Impact/Rize.

You've done very well, and that will serve you a decade, easily. In another ten years, comparing that I31 to the Hoyt you have, just imagine how much better things will be and what might be possible (dead quiet, dead in the hand, smooth, solid back wall, 400 fps IBO? Maybe...)

Lol, I thought the same thing. I'm good for another ten or twelve years now. . .

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Years ago I had a Hoyt Super Slam Elite. This was one of the Chuck Adams series bows, as I recall. The thing was so stupidly easy to shoot well that I couldn't shoot the same spot at 40 yards without busting off nocks. Of course, I eventually decided that I needed something different so I bought a used Oneida Screaming Eagle. What a turd. Got into traditional after that and really enjoyed shooting a recurve.

I got back in to bowhunting a few years ago and the newer bows are really pretty amazing. Very quiet and vibration free and loads faster. I especially like the solid back wall and smooth draw cycle on my current Obsession. It shoots really well (though my eyes won't let me shoot as well as I once did). It'll serve me perfectly for many years. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Of course I had to go and order a new bow this year... grin Oh well. I do enjoy screwing with them in the off season.

RLTW
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Screaming Eagles were the hot rods of the day.
They drew smooth and had minimal shock at release.
Most folks didn't know how to tune them.
Made them really loud.

Like the advancements on the Aero. The grip is fat though.....really need aftermarket thinner. Flare at casting at front of shelf still annoying. Dunno how grind would affect integrity.

Think LFM or BE the way to go.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Even the new stuff, has a lot going on.
Probably not the most robust of arrow delivery systems.
But a BE2 is still a good fingers bow, speedy and smooooth.

Wish somebody made fingers rigs these days.
The lack of such has driven Oneida prices to silly.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I got a NEW bow, it'd be a Blackwidow PCH.
3 kids in college this fall...........no new bow for a long time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mine are not all that old but the newest was a 91 model....haven't had the need to buy since then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive had several several bows over the last few years. Mathews, PSE, Bowtech and now Obsession. On my 5th Obsession in 2.5 years. But im a dealer. Pretty much always been a speed bow guy. Im a short DL. I do shoot 30" ish(give or take a couple inches) ATA bows with 6" BH really well. I started the year out with a Def Con 6. Now I have the K34. 34ATA/7" BH. Got it becauae the cam system is a touch "different" and i wanted to get to know it better. I wasnt prepared for what i got. 27/65/350grn @301.6fps. Yeah speed doesnt matter to most but i like to know what my bows shoot. And thats my target arrows. I have shot every 2015 and 2016 out there for the most part. The 34 is my fav Obsession to date. Period. Dont see me going back to a short ATA/6" BH bow anytime soon. Its just that smooth and quiet. And i really love the grip. The Primes do have a following but with DL changes being so expensive and string sets being so expensive due to the 2 extra "yokes" required its a turn off to me. Yeah i know they have a string program but i only use one brand of strings. The impulse while "smooth" is rather stiff. And i cant justify giving up an inch of BH for less performance. Just my $.02

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
Even the new stuff, has a lot going on.
Probably not the most robust of arrow delivery systems.
But a BE2 is still a good fingers bow, speedy and smooooth.

Wish somebody made fingers rigs these days.
The lack of such has driven Oneida prices to silly.

What would you classify as a fingers rig? Know the "norm" used to be around 40ATA and 7"+ BH. Is that still pretty much how it still is? Would also think lower letoff with cable stops vs higher letoff and limb stops to ensure clean release

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Add 10 years to that here.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I just noticed that should have been 28" draw.

At any rate, I'm starting to go bow crazy. Now I'm looking at the new Hoyt Defiants. . . It's a sickness!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I bought 2 recurves this morning.
One I previously owned.
Tradtech Pinnacle 2, riser reworked (more centershot, grip thinner, throat deeper, shelf more radiused).
Made it a way better bow.
But it's got TT mediums on it,so is 62".
Sold it to a bud, who sold it to another bud. Was mint when I let it go, not anymore. Refinish coming up!

Other bow is a Korean BW clone, haven't made them for several years. I had one of higher # yrs ago, first in the US (bought at ATA show). 55# it said.......scale said 61 LOL.

This super clean used model is only 40#. New rabbit and maybe turkey bow smile Proly add a GN strap on quiver to tame the lightweight rig down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still shooting my 1966 Howatt Hunter

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm still shooting my 1997 Mathews Feather Max 27" draw length-60lb. Love this bow, I can't imagine using anything different. It just fits me.
Thanks, Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The archery business is just like any other business. You don't stay alive without sales. If everyone kept on using the old stuff, they'd soon go under. So, they have to push the latest and neatest.
That's not saying that some of the new technology isn't great. I remember when the cams first came out. That was a great improvement over round wheels. Then came the parallel limbs that enabled them to make bows much shorter and more compact. Some new stuff stays around a long time and some soon disappears.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best bow I've ever owned is my 2004 Switchback, I use it regularly and trust my every release when hunting with it.

This is 13 years old, but honestly, I've not used anything better. I also shoot the Elite energy 32. I have that because it's a much higher draw weight. Funny thing, I bought this newer bow because it feels quite a lot like the switchback!

I needed a higher draw weight, for applications that the 60lb switchback did not do well enough. Not because there was anything wrong with the switchback's shoot ability or accuracy. Truth is, I shoot the switchback a bit better at 30 and under and the Elite better and 30-50. Same sights on both. Simply the trajectory being better on the Elite makes the longer shots easier for me. ( I think)

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a Hoyt Ultratec 2003 cam and 1/2 version for 10 years. Loved that bow. In 2013 I picked up a Hoyt Charger - short little budget model. Great bow, loved it - last season traded for a Hoyt Defiant - fancier aluminum bow. Shooting it currently while waiting for a Carbon Defiant.

All decent bows, I shoot them all about the same (440-445 on the Vegas 450 round or 50-55X 300's NFAA BHFS) The lack of hand shock is pretty amazing and my last couple bows all have AMO ratings around 330fps. They are easier than ever to aim and hold, and shoot smooth and quiet. Ten years ago I would never have thought I could shoot a 30" bow as well as my older 38-40" rigs, but it has proven to be true. I can shoot 60# bows that shoot with more force/speed/energy than my old 70# rigs. My current bow shoots 330 AMO the Ultratec was 308 AMO. The Defiant does draw a little stiffer but still very smooth.

A couple weeks ago my local shop had a Hoyt Freestyle (Modern Ultratec) on the rack. First shot I about dropped it on the floor with the recoil - wow, I had totally forgotten what that was like. I spent about a half hour trying to like that bow and finally went back to my Defiant. I have no desire to go back to a longer forward facing limb anymore.

I would suggest giving the Hoyt Powermax a fair shake. I think that after shooting it for a while, going back to your old bow will be disappointing. Or if you are happy with your old rig, just shoot it and be happy.

Last edited by centershot; 01/24/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Hoyt Deviator , I bought one year old in 1999. The first two arrows I shot out of it, I Robin Hooded. I do not consider myself an Archer, just a hunter that uses a bow once in a while. I do not shoot a lot. But this bow is always ON for me. I still use 2413 Easton Aluminum arrows . It has been consistent. I have killed some game with it. It does have a bit of recoil and I know there are way better options out there. I have some damage in My right shoulder that precludes alot of practice. Last year I shot exactly one arrow. The result of that one arrow is a 300" bull I killed at 12 yards. I find little need to upgrade at this point.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been shooting the same Indian Stalker 45-55lbs since I received it for my 16th birthday.(37years) Ive had the cable replaced, and modified to accept standard sized bowstrings. But no sights, I have never used a release, just a shooting glove, old does not mean bad.
I have a matching one set for a release, for guests.
Just to see if it could be done, a bent sapling and a bootlace, has killed a small deer. (4pt). The bow is just a tool, the hunter is the weapon. smile

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kellory
I have been shooting the same Indian Stalker 45-55lbs since I received it for my 16th birthday.(37years) Ive had the cable replaced, and modified to accept standard sized bowstrings. But no sights, I have never used a release, just a shooting glove, old does not mean bad.
Just to see if it could be done, a bent sapling and a bootlace, has killed a small deer. (4pt). The bow is just a tool, the hunter is the weapon. smile
The newer short bows make finger shooting difficult, if not impossible. You need a release but on the other side, the short bow is much handier in brush or in a blind.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by kellory
The newer short bows make finger shooting difficult, if not impossible. You need a release but on the other side, the short bow is much handier in brush or in a blind.

Most of the finger shooters that are left, shoot traditional. Good thing is that the used racks and pawn shops are full of old long AtoA bows for cheap.

Last edited by centershot; 01/25/17.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
There is something to be said for familiarity with a bow... or a rifle or any other tool. If there is no tangible advantage to purchase a new bow or if the advantages are slim I say stay with the bow as it is proven. I actually believe it is better to learn how to use something to it's fullest potential and not change unless the item is unsafe or nearing its life cycle end.

As I get older I find myself influenced to a lesser degree by advertising and the need for the latest and greatest. I was not of this mindset when I was younger and accumulated some pretty nice stuff-but none of this "stuff" made me better woodsman or hunter. In fact probably just the opposite.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
While flipping around through Netflix looking for something to watch I ran across The Arrow. I see he's using an Oneida compound bow as his superhero weapon. I haven't seen one of those in the flesh in years. I didn't know they were even still around.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I paid $65 for a Golden Eagle on Fleabay last year.
It appeared to be a 28" (plus or minus 1" per wheel slots).
And being a wood riser Falcon model, probably 60# max.

Looked at one in mid 80's when I shot for a shop that sold them (was running an 80# PSE back then).

Bought it.

Sure enough, it was a 28" and hit 55# at that DL.
Refinished the riser. Would be a fun fingers bow, barebow..... but the cable guard mounted at sight window bothers me.

So I gotta make a bracket and do a diff rod lower. The bushing there is on the front. Hell I aint even shot it yet............thought about a NAP Centerest flipper.

But I bought a new 2017 PSE Infinity for release shooting. Cheap. Good enough.

Hopefully I can run my old metal riser Blackwidow and not need wheels. Depends on how my back does.
Might even bowhunt through gun season this year.

The old Falcon is too nice to bowfish with frown

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I used to get two new bows a year. Latest and greatest.
Indeed they were nice and of some advancement technical wise.
And they did help me elevate my skill set.

But that kinda flattened out in a couple of years.

IMHO one does "arrive".

Nowadays I don't shoot the best. Aged/injured........can't compete. Just shoot for fun, and hunt. Don't need a new Mathews or Bowtech, a $250 rest and a $300 sight.

None of that will help me overcome the wear and tear.

I'd like a new Blackwidow recurve though, but even there....I'm not a $1300 shooter, so don't need a $1300 bow.
Am almost content to run my $300 used old metal riser Widow.
Thought they were cool as a kid, got one.....it's not slow, it's not fast....cool bow that shoots pretty decent for me.

I'd like a 58" HS. Should kept my old one (but it was 60#).
If 55# I'd not have turned it loose.

Prefer 58" recurves. But a 56" 44# Blackwidow PCH might be cool.

Eh, if I can't kill it with my '72 HF1225.........can't kill it with anything else.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Release..........funky first time I tried one.
Didn't take long to destroy arrows at distance.

Ran a Fletchunter for years. The newer "shorty" wrist strap model is my fave.

Got a buddy to shoot one, we went to a shop/3D range and the owner blew us crap. Wasn't of the newer caliper designs yadda yadda.

Had him try it. His jaw hit the floor and he ordered some to sell. That yr.......my buddy won the IBO triple crown shooting a Fletchunter.

LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 02/08/17.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not sure how old my bow is, I shot an elk with it in 2004, it's a hoyt ultra-tec with versa cam.

I've browsed new bows and not fell in love, will try again this year. Last year my wife bought a new bow, she got a new PSE and it's amazing how quiet and fast that bow is. She shoots it better than she's shot any of her others.

The one thing I've noticed is I couldn't get a fall away rest to work well consistently on my older bow, not sure why. Went back to my older style but it has a spring inside it to pop the rest back up after the shot, I am worried about the day that that OLD spring just gives up.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I have shot a Switchback XT for 11 years. These are one of the most Iconic of Mathews selections and seem to have a pretty loyal following. I lucked into another Switchback XT in pristine condition and will be setting that one up later this spring.

I have a range in my basement and am lucky enough to enjoy shooting year round.

John

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I noticed the local sports shop has a late 90s version of a Hoyt Stryker hanging in their used bow section. It was marked 165.00 ,it is now marked 80 bucks. I am started to get interested. the draw length/poundage sticker is missing. But ..........It sure would go nice with my Deviator of the same vintage. They shot smooth and have a pretty decent brace height.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In 1990 I bought a Jennings Carbon Extreem, at that time it was the fastes now on the market. Then I was going on a sheep hunt in 2011 at a private club in Santa Clara County. So I go down to the range in Santa Cruz to practice. I was practicing at 40 yards and you could see the arc as my arrows we're going to the target. But the guy to my right and the guy to my left had newer bows. Wow we're they fast.

So I bought a new bow a PSE Evo. On the third day of the hunt I got my Ram. I shot it at 20 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I add to my stringed weapons, it will likely be this... https://www.goprimalnow.com/shop/ar...bows/compact-folding-takedown-bow-50-lb/

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a Viking archery bow for 25 years

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone know the first year Matthews had the MQ32 available as a LH bow? You guessed it.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
My Mathews Conquest 3 is 15 years old and still going strong.

Make your first shot your best shot!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Anyone know the first year Matthews had the MQ32 available as a LH bow? You guessed it.
that was my 1st Mathews I'm on my 4 th now
You are doing yourself a disservice by not upgrading the MQ32

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,101
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.