Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Hack: o doubt in my mind that speed kills. The most impressive deer killer I've seen is my 257 Weatherby with 100GR Hornady Spire Points. Over fifty deer, and NOT ONE EVER, took a step. I've seen the big cats react to a 378 Weatherby like no other caliber, and Ross Seyfried writes the most impressive Buffalo killer he's seen is the 416 Weatherby. With today's modern bullets Weatherby calibers have really come into their own. When I decide to (finally) book a big bear hunt, my weapon of choice will probably be my 340 Weatherby Lazermark with either 250r TSXs or that superb 240r North Fork. The Lazermark's just to piss the haters off! smile

OTOH I"ve shot close to 20 deer/pigs with 257 and 100 ttsx and NEVER had one DRT. I've had em fall awful quick generally.... but never on the spot. My buddy has probably more than that wiht his, and same load, and has yet to drop one on the spot also, though his for whatever reason rarely make 10 steps, save the one doe htat made about 120 yards...

Speed does somethings, but its also bullet choice and shot location.

I'll take a good bullet and precise placement ever time over speed. All 3 never hurts.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In this thread, we went from 270's 7x57's 7mm Rem Mags and 30-06s

.. and that it is all about shot placement and type of bullet...

Why bother hunting, tracking, stopping wounded bears with anything over 30 caliber?

OR

Is there a scenario in which the over 30 cal rifle gives the hunter or guide an advantage?

To....

I stepped up to a 375 and then a 375AI because of a couple situations that left me wanting a bit more.

Which is why at times I prefer the most satisfying feeling of my 458 !

I've read stories of native guides backing up bear clients with .30-30's. In that situation I'd carry a .338.

I'd reach for my 9.3 in a charge/tracking situation.

As for me, this is the REAL answer. If someone wants to HUNT bear he should be able to handle a bigger bore and be in shape to follow up all the way through.

The idea of "that I'll have my guide to back me up and put the killing shot in it" takes away from the the hunt. Guides can line their pockets every day with those types of people.

For me personally, I don't want any guide putting in bullet in MY bear. I want to kill it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari
I know that feeling!

My PH in Cameroon decided the wind and cover were right to sneak up to within 25 yards of herd of elephants. I was holding my .450/400 and just had this feeling of being naked and vulnerable should the situation "change". Anything that did have a lanyard attached wouldn't not have given me confidence.

I'd recommend .338 and up for Brown Bear, but let me admit I've not taken one. Big brown bears are substantial critters. .375 H & H is the minimum for African DG game including lion and buffalo for a reason. I'd consider a big brown bear to be in that same class.

You don't know fear until you have one of these bastids coming after you.....

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35

In this thread, we went from 270's 7x57's 7mm Rem Mags and 30-06s

.. and that it is all about shot placement and type of bullet...

Perhaps the most common mistake one can make when hunting bears or similar big creatures is thinking it isn't about where that hole is placed. (And no one is less impressed by the numbers on a barrel than are big animals.)

You might be surprised how many 3/8" holes a bear hide can have in it and still contain a live animal. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ou might be surprised how many 3/8" holes a bear hide can have in it and still contain a live animal. laugh

No, I would not be surprised.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'm sure many brown bears have been killed in days of yore with a 30-30, but all I can say is I hope you "use enough gun" as a backup.

Seems to me the client has more money than common sense if he wants to use his .7 Rem Mag mainly because "he feels more comfortable with it".

I would buy a .338 or .416 and learn to be "comfortable with it", rather than risk wounding something as dangerous as a big brownie. I think it is possible the bullet could break up on its upper leg bone.

Perhaps he should go with solids (if they make them for a .7mm Rem Mag).

BH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That'll teach you to shot straight or climb trees faster.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
I know that feeling!

My PH in Cameroon decided the wind and cover were right to sneak up to within 25 yards of herd of elephants. I was holding my .450/400 and just had this feeling of being naked and vulnerable should the situation "change". Anything that did have a lanyard attached wouldn't not have given me confidence.

I'd recommend .338 and up for Brown Bear, but let me admit I've not taken one. Big brown bears are substantial critters. .375 H & H is the minimum for African DG game including lion and buffalo for a reason. I'd consider a big brown bear to be in that same class.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I know that feeling!

That size goes good in a smoker or Cajun microwave.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you use the rifle correctly in the first place there should be no need for a backup.

And while a big bore rifle can be more comforting to carry into the pucker brush and a little quicker at putting a wounded animal down, it doesn't mean they are a better tool for every hunter.

The 30-06 was the most common caliber used by Alaskan guides well after the 375 became available, even Hosea Sarber, the legendary Alaskan territorial warden and bear hunter preferred his 30-06 ( and sometimes even his .270) over his 375 H&H when stalking bears due to the fact that it handled quicker and he had absolute faith in it. And there are still Alaskan bear guides who feel the same.

Bore size is not a substitute for bullet placement and energy is no substitute for bullet performance.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BH63

Seems to me the client has more money than common sense if he wants to use his .7 Rem Mag mainly because "he feels more comfortable with it".

I would buy a .338 or .416 and learn to be "comfortable with it", rather than risk wounding something as dangerous as a big brownie. I think it is possible the bullet could break up on its upper leg bone.

I might argue the opposite. A couple of experienced folks have chimed in here stating they'd rather have the client with a gun/chambering he/she is comfortable and familiar with. To me, the guy wanting to use his 7mm mag shows he's a somewhat rationale and reasoning human being. There's no way of knowing if it's a financial based decision, or perhaps recoil tolerance or familiarity are the driver.
Would it be my pick? Nope - but it'll work.

The guys with more money than sense buy a 375 or .416 a month or two before the hunt. And it's all relative anyway - some of those folks will put down 15-25k on a hunt and beotch about the price of the factory ammo so they won't shoot it much. Or, if they do shoot it a bit, decide they've bitten off more than they can chew but will use it because they have to have it based on what they've read.

When I went on my first brown bear hunt, I didn't even bother posting about the anticipation leading up to the hunt because I knew there would be 6 pages of "there's no way I'd go with less than XXX chambering and I'd be shooting XX bullet if it were me". And 90% of the responses would have been from folks that had never been.

I used a 35 Whelen and anchored my bear on the spot and put a few more in him for good measure. The two hunters after me (in speaking with the guide a couple of weeks later) used a 375 Ruger and the other a 416 of some flavor. Both of those hunts led to a rodeo in the alders afterward - one bear was never located.

The particular outfitter/guide knows rifles/bullets quite well and shares Phil's mindset when it comes to hunters and rifles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know and talk with a lot of guides and a lot of experienced ones claim they really don't care what a client brings because if they can't shoot the guide will have to kill it anyway.

Which is why, when asked what rifle a client should bring, I always ask what they have and what is their favorite and then recommend they buy a box of premium bullets and bring it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35
ou might be surprised how many 3/8" holes a bear hide can have in it and still contain a live animal. laugh

No, I would not be surprised.

That was intended as a rather generic 'you', not directed specifically. wink (Plenty of folks have some unfounded, erroneous ideas, perhaps worse with bears than with many animals - at least in North America. I will venture that the average Alaska moose is more likely to trap and stop bullets than is the average Alaskan bear, yet people don't seem to have a lot of concern with 'how small' they can get by with on moose - and moose are often shot from greater distances and frequently moving.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 458Win
I know and talk with a lot of guides and a lot of experienced ones claim they really don't care what a client brings because if they can't shoot the guide will have to kill it anyway.

Which is why, when asked what rifle a client should bring, I always ask what they have and what is their favorite and then recommend they buy a box of premium bullets and bring it.

Sounds sensible enough, Phil.

But that makes me wonder about your choice of a 30-06 for your backup rifle... is that what you carry when you know your hunter can shoot well and you figure you won't need it? From your articles, I had assumed you always carried Old Ugly or one of your other big-bore rifles!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody who wants an opinion from "an expert", here it is.

If you use the rifle correctly in the first place there should be no need for a backup.

And while a big bore rifle can be more comforting to carry into the pucker brush and a little quicker at putting a wounded animal down, it doesn't mean they are a better tool for every hunter.

The 30-06 was the most common caliber used by Alaskan guides well after the 375 became available, even Hosea Sarber, the legendary Alaskan territorial warden and bear hunter preferred his 30-06 ( and sometimes even his .270) over his 375 H&H when stalking bears due to the fact that it handled quicker and he had absolute faith in it. And there are still Alaskan bear guides who feel the same.

Bore size is not a substitute for bullet placement and energy is no substitute for bullet performance.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Anybody who wants an opinion from "an expert", here it is.

No kidding on the expert opinion. How anyone could possibly second guess Shoemaker is amazing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Of course not sir, but given everything equal and providing (of course) your client can shoot what he brings well, what would you prefer him to have, an 06 or a 375? ANd I hope you took no offense Phil as my comment was obviously rhetorical

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No kidding on the expert opinion. How anyone could possibly second guess Shoemaker is amazing.

Yet - they keep asking......when he has answered very clearly.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just loaded my super cub and am headed out to camp and will have to see where this thread goes when I get back next week.

Oh, for what it is worth, in my wing strut scabbard there is a Ruger No 1 35 Whelen in case I go down and need to defend myself .

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is the bullet, not the size of the bore or name on the barrel, that kills....

IMO - that answers several questions.

Thanks very much and have a GREAT hunt.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, hatari, that kindasorta answers my question. Still wondering why sometimes a 30-06, and sometimes a 505 Gibbs, y' know? Not a burning desire for knowledge, just scratchin' my head a bit.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.