Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Right-O!

No issues with the terminal performance of the SX.....

Excellent splatter factor!

It was a slow day, we each expended right at 300 rounds. The reduced load bunny gun was a ball to shoot them with as a rimfire alternative, and no trouble ( other than a loose nut on the trigger...) scratching them down at 200 yds with it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like fun to me Ingwe.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
There was a little collateral damage..... whistle

A HUGE bull gopher breached the perimeter and was coming for us! shocked

I got the gopher in the proverbial nick of time, but I had to shoot through my mirror to do it! cry

[Linked Image]

Damn! It was the first time I ever knew what 'flave felt like......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Right-O!

No issues with the terminal performance of the SX.....

Excellent splatter factor!

It was a slow day, we each expended right at 300 rounds. The reduced load bunny gun was a ball to shoot them with as a rimfire alternative, and no trouble ( other than a loose nut on the trigger...) scratching them down at 200 yds with it.

and yielding 500 plus rounds out of a pound of powder no less...

what's not to love...

BTW, those SPSX work great with those reduced loads for the airborne factor.... like a 22 Mag, MAGNUM load with a 50 or 55 grain Bullet...

TNTs are another great bullet for that kind of service...

Glad you saved Montana from Santa Ana and his ninga gophers...
once again...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Shooting a bunch tends to do that...grin.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
John...I really enjoyed that whole reduced load thing. As I said they were good out to 200 yards...shot flatter than I expected.

Didn't need earplugs, barrel didn't heat up near as quickly, killed gophs dead.

I will be doing lots more of it in the future!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Will have to lay in a supply of the SX! Aim sure I have a few, but at most, a couple hundred!

Molon Labe
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, they did great!

I mentioned on another thread I shot a bunch of reduced loads with Vmax, and they weren't always frangible. Don't know if its the bullet or the speed....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There was a little collateral damage..... whistle

A HUGE bull gopher breached the perimeter and was coming for us! shocked

I got the gopher in the proverbial nick of time, but I had to shoot through my mirror to do it! cry

[Linked Image]

I have seen that done before on coyotes. Also saw a brand new paint job on pickup get a nice crease from s 22-250 fella has to watch shooting over the hood on a Dodge pickup.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy did that to his Ford van's mirror a few years ago w/a 22-250 AND HOT LOADED 55 BT's (I loaded them). Cost him about $600 to get it replaced and the body work done!. Also another buddy (where do these guys come from?) cracked the windshield in my S-15 and later shot the end off of the antenna w/a 300 WSM, Damn kids anyway! I don't get to go to Augusta till May 21 or so to go gophin', can't wait-Muddy

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ingwe: Sorry about the errant bullet in the heat of battle there!
Over the last 19 years of HEAVY Gopher Hunting hereabouts I have seen 4 blasted rear view mirrors, two truck hoods shot, two floor boards "punctured" and one roof "penetration"!
Luckily I have not had to "pay" for repairing on any of these incidents, to date anyway.
I got out today myself and put a total of 250 rounds down range from 3 different rimfire Rifles.
My partner shot his traditional 40 magazines worth (400 rounds) through his heavy barreled 10/22 when we called it a day and finally got into the beer cooler!
What a GLORIOUS day here in the Rocky Mountains - 60 degrees, no wind, not a cloud in the sky and lots of targets.
By the way three years ago one of my Hunting partners shot his drivers side door mirror (an electric one!) three times before he figured out why he kept missing that closer in Gopher!
Be careful have fun!
Yeah "it's on"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
It was indeed a glorious day to be in the Rockies yesterday. We were shooting up on the front so the scenery was fantastic.
New mirror on the way....$27.87 shipped grin

Had a pard lean over the hood of his then new Nissan Pathfinder to whack a PD with his .243....

Little too close to the windshield...... shocked

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Once upon a time on a Wyoming PD shoot, a guy from elsewhere shot the hood of a rental SUV not just once, but twice. The first round "sounded kinda funny," and neither he nor his partner saw any dust fly, so he tried another. After that one they finally noticed two parallel grooves in the hood.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Oddly enough I was shooting a 50 gr. SX, it went through the mirror and apparently started to disintegrate, cause it killed the schitt out of the gopher, but it looked like he had been shotgunned at close range ( which it was.....about 8 feet....)

Price of gas and lunch $29

Price of ammo $53

Price of new mirror $28

Spring day on the Rocky Mountain Front: Priceless.

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not many can shoot through glass, plastic and fur in the same shot. Well done.

Have Dog

Will Travel

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Its a skill.....like anything else........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple years ago on the Hi-Line we were into them hot and heavy. Shots were from 5 feet to 200 yards.
Aboard atv's, you will often have vermin "scatter" from nearly under your tires. Partner had a under 10' shot and the scope showed a clear field......
Next morning we were clening rifles before the next attack and he noticed a perfect hole in the 3x9 of his "other" rifle.
He had finished out the day still hitting gophers and continued to use the rifle for the trip.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John...I really enjoyed that whole reduced load thing. As I said they were good out to 200 yards...shot flatter than I expected.

Didn't need earplugs, barrel didn't heat up near as quickly, killed gophs dead.

I will be doing lots more of it in the future!

A loser's philosophy on shooting. You load the cartridge to it's potential. If you need less, get less and shoot a Hornet. The inconsistency of someone that will shoot an AI, then download a cartridge, no wonder the youth of today is confused with that example...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ya, my 63 comet had some of those in the roof from a 22. Muddy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A loser's philosophy on shooting

Really Shrap?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.