Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by 458Win
Since John has decided to share his story about his PH friend who held views contrary to many on this thread, I have another about the Zambian PH my son worked for. He is a second generation PH, now retired, who grew up with his father's early 416 Rigby and a BRNO 30-06. Between them the Rigby had accounted for over 1000 BULL elephants and the checkering was worn completely smooth.

[Linked Image]
Although he was intimently familiar with the Rigby, for lions he claimed he prefered the 30-06 as lions are so blazingly fast he felt the fraction of a second speed advantage that the 30-06 gave him far outweighed the extra power of the 416 ! As bullet placement was paramount no matter which rifle you use.

I've never shot any kind of bear (i've seen several blacks in the wild while elk hunting) but it's interesting to hear about what works from those that have.

I would guess by that PH's experience that an '06 might work on a grizz...ASSUMING it's wielded by someone that can shoot. smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
What little I know is that my guide for my hunt in a couple of weeks is more than pleased that I am bringing a 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX's. His words, "perfect".

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since John has decided to share his story about his PH friend who held views contrary to many on this thread, I have another about the Zambian PH my son worked for. He is a second generation PH, now retired, who grew up with his father's early 416 Rigby and a BRNO 30-06. Between them the Rigby had accounted for over 1000 BULL elephants and the checkering was worn completely smooth.

[Linked Image]
Although he was intimently familiar with the Rigby, for lions he claimed he prefered the 30-06 as lions are so blazingly fast he felt the fraction of a second speed advantage that the 30-06 gave him far outweighed the extra power of the 416 ! As bullet placement was paramount no matter which rifle you use.

So Phil,

Where do you prefer to hit a charging griz?

Just for curiosity's sake.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
What little I know is that my guide for my hunt in a couple of weeks is more than pleased that I am bringing a 375 H&H loaded with 270 gr TSX's. His words, "perfect".

I am sure he is pleased as that is the reference standard for big bear rifles. As I said, when a client askes what to bring I first ask what they but if they have already decided that a brown bear hunt in Alaska is a good reason to buy a new rifle I suggest either a 338 or a 375.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

I am sure he is pleased as that is the reference standard for big bear rifles. As I said, when a client askes what to bring I first ask what they but if they have already decided that a brown bear hunt in Alaska is a good reason to buy a new rifle I suggest either a 338 or a 375.

Fortunately while I was planning on using my old BRNO ZKK 375 a semi-custom stainless/synthetic M70 appeared for sale here a year or so ago. I am sure either would work.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
The more you kill the less you rely on power and the more you rely on placement, I think. Commonly, the folks gunning the most powerful armament don't have many kills under their belt. Of course that is an oversimplification but confidence comes with experience.

On the money.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM

Good luck Ed! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by sbhooper
The more you kill the less you rely on power and the more you rely on placement, I think. Commonly, the folks gunning the most powerful armament don't have many kills under their belt. Of course that is an oversimplification but confidence comes with experience.

On the money.

Mike & sb -

I agree in principle in that WT are the largest big game I've had the privilege to hunt. I know exactly what y'all are saying is true but I would like to add this caveat,
'Faster' cartridges allow flatter trajectory, making placement easier at longer distances.

I am NOT speaking nor recommending 'long' range shooting of bear. That's out of my wheel of experience.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by EdM

Good luck Ed! wink

I'll second that grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My uncle took TWO lions in Africa in the 60s with a 270 and old fashioned Winchester Silvertips. Fast forward to today, another good friend of mine has taken virtually every species of soft skinned African game, bear, red stag with his 375 and Nosler Accubonds and TSXs for his buffaloes and big lion.

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/18/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

You might want to tell your "guide" to check with the "Nosler Police" about the TSX usage...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
[

'Faster' cartridges allow flatter trajectory, making placement easier at longer distances.

Jerry

True, but just like bigger bores, not nearly as much as most people believe. If you are using a rangefinder and know the trajectory of your rifle you can make hits with any caliber.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by EdM

Good luck Ed! wink

I'll second that grin

Im anxious to get the after action report on that hunt! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
[
Jerry

True, but just like bigger bores, not nearly as much as most people believe. If you are using a rangefinder and know the trajectory of your rifle you can make hits with any caliber.

Certainly agree...IF/WHEN you have time to 'rangefind'.

In Southern WT woods, we often don't have time to...
use binos...
range....
twist dials...
aim...
shoot.

With a 400 yd MPBR you spend LESS critical time. I admit that I'm spoiled to 'FAST' cartridges for that reason. I've been using 400 yd MPBR since the 1980s.

It really is hard to leave a process that works and you've been using so long. Call me 'mossback', set in my ways, or Hard Headed. grin

Thanks Phil, I always enjoy your input and respect you.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trophy bear and moose hunting tends to be a rather deliberate type of hunting. Bears get plenty of eyeball time, and many bears are killed at distances where you don't need to know the precise yardage. You might easily know a bear is big enough at 250 yards, but, unless you really have good glass and the time to lay it on him, you might not be able to tell what the condition of the hide is. (Not everyone is okay with spending multiple thousands of dollars for "a nice even rub". grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Tripe and yet another 'fire generalization...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
The more you kill the less you rely on power and the more you rely on placement, I think.

Respectfully Ed, I feel there is merit especially in the first sentence.

Mr Phil has given evidence & support even in this thread.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Only lived up here for about 6 months so have ZERO actual experience but I have talked to a number of guides who tend to make fun of the lower 48 people who think they need to bring a howitzer up here. They will have the big gun, you bring what you can shoot well with a premium bullet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

I agree, Ed. I personally have no problems with recoil and I've posed the same question to the shot-placement-uber-alles folks (which in my book rates a "DUH"! and so intuitively obvious it's irritating)' Given all other things equal, i.e., exact shot placement, range and type of bullet used (let's stick with a Partition, lest the Nosler Police chastises), would it not be more prudent and efficacious to shoot said bear with a 375 and a 300 grain pill or a 3006 with a 180? (completely rhetorical post)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A big "thank you" to the master bear guides (and others) who have the patience to field questions and entertain comments form deer hunters, everywhere.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,179
Posts18,484,697
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.