Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm happy with the two ALG ACT triggers I have.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by rost495
You can bend the trigger spring just a hair to pick up weight if you want a bit more...

Thanks, but the more I shoot it the better I like it! Probly run as is for a while, good to know they can be adjusted some though

PM me if needed, you can usually get a bit eihter way, up to a pound difference sometimes, but just a tweak of the legs of the spring. I suggest buying a couple spare trigger springs before doing it, cheap enough they are anyway....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Unless running a higher end AR, I think a polish, JP spring kit and a set screw above grip screw to remove some creep doable.

Did it to my Stag, shoots under 1" at 100 with 2-7X redfield rev off bags w 55 gr V max.

Even did it to my iron sighted beater Frankenrifle.

200 and in stuff, works for me.

True varmint rig, yeah, needs something better.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can shoot sub moa groups with worse triggers... but nice ones make a difference.

The difference one made by polishing and tweaking and set screws is significant. A bit dangerous. And in the end you still have a junk trigger.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
All it did was change the engagement. Still plenty left IMHO.

Could take more out, but would need further mods that could possibly make things touchy.

No probs with the yellow JP springs either (but then I don't run the cheapest ammo I can find).

Several hundred rounds without issue. Not worried.

Polish is polish, not grinding (no doubt some folks don't know the diff).

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
1 inch for 10 shots with a polished trigger! Epic! Next time I am going to polish instead if spending $70 on a RRA varmint! And just change the engagement a tweak, this is stupendous.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
1" aint [bleep] scoped/benched. For serious chuck rig proly need to half that. IMHO that would entail a nicer trigger than can be had with prev mentioned setup.

My cuz owns my old Stag AR now. He is not the best shooter.
Even he can get 1.5" or under benched.

The JP spring kit and set screw do help.

But if you suck it probably won't.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a Geissele G2S and love it. I have also used Wilson Combat's 2 stage Tactical Trigger and it was very nice but for the price I would go with the GS2

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hookeye, you provided good, and relevant, information to the post. Ignore James' sarcasm [ Jimmy, have a Snickers :-)]

Here's my (very) limited experience.
A PSA Enhanced Polished Trigger is a big improvement over straight mil-spec, and worth the sale price. I bought the yellow JP spring but haven't felt the need to install it.
I just installed a Rise Armament single stage trigger and I can't believe how light and crisp it feels. I don't have a trigger force gauge, but it feels a lot lighter than the advertised 3.5# to me. I wouldn't want to it to be any lighter for my deer hunting gun.

I'm slowly acquiring better triggers. The LaRue MBT that I pre-ordered should be delivered tomorrow, and I have a Geisselle G2S in the parts drawer. I am anxious to finish up the project guns to see how much better these triggers feel.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Some of us, you excluded due to limited experience, get Jimmy's point.

We've btdt.

If you only have time and no money, then polish and tweak away.

But for 60 bucks I"ll spend the money and get a known safe and decent trigger every last time. BTDT and have a tiny bit of time and experience messing with AR stuff for a few years. I"m pre replacement trigger days... some of you likely were note even born back then...

And sooner or later if you are pushing to a good trigger with polish, set screws etc... sooner or later that trigger is going to start doubling....

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I run my marathon Sunday but after that I think we could use another MOA challenge. Lot's of talented shooters here...

For the trigger question, I've polished plenty of them and tried Jewells, Millazo, RR NM, Geissele G2S, BM 2 stage, ALG ACT, PSA's "enhanced" model, Timney, McM and an Armalite.

I use the G2S not because it's the best out there but because it's the best for the money, robust, a good smooth pull, solid wall, made from tool steel and is good enough for me.

Have yet to see any serious shooter stick with a polished stock trigger.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My buddy has the custom ultra varmint rigs with the couple hundred dollar triggers. They're sweet.

But I don't try for PD's at 500+.
Coyotes inside of 200 are rather large. Mob of thugs proly larger.

I figure 1" or a lil under is good enough for the amount of $ I spent. Not really an AR fan anyway (used to creekbank chucks with an FNC para).

BTW, used to work under miscroscopes, materials development and metallurgy labs, decent sized corp too. Was THE fine pitch build/repair guy.

I aint diddly, but the guy with a Stolle Panda was rather PO'd when I outshot him with his rifle, after driving a lifted beater Jeep 1.5 hrs to the range (he even popped it from the cradle due to stuck cases, twice, said that'd F my group). Five at a half inch at 225. Not too shabby for just hopping out of the truck. Breezy it was.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/19/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BTW, I see a fair amount of clods running high dollar AR's with $$$$ triggers. Having it, and being able to benefit from it, are not always linked.

But if your gun does what you want, who gives a flip?
Topic says "hunting trigger".

Could be long D and high mag scopes or creekbanking close with irons or reddot (or anything else).

My current hunting spot for deer is small, 100 yards is about max.
That's a gimme distance. 2 MOA would be fine there (unless threading the needle). Small groups do help confidence, but sometimes outside of that, they really don't make much diff in the field.

What ventricle of the deer heart must one hit to be considered a serious shooter?

If I take my AR yoting it's for 200 and in work. Am content with the trigger it has. It's for me a general use rig, not specific to anything. In that role I think it's fine.

Seems to work. Bud popped it at 75 yards on the run (my old Stag rifle). I reluctantly assembled another AR just because of social decay. Same trigger mod. Alas, I have been taking a little TC carbine more and more. Joy to tote. Little more range than the Python wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 04/19/16.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've often said that a 2 MOA gun could kill any called coyote anywhere. I've also said that I could do anything I wanted to do with a 1.5 MOA gun but hope for an MOA gun or under.

We did a challenge last spring for 2 10 shot groups on the same piece of paper with a bi-pod, no heavy bag and surprisingly very few made it. I did not.

But junk triggers are the least of my worries when shooting groups, they can be overcome.

My concern is reliability. I shoot a lot when I shoot and sooner or later a tuned trigger will bite you. Just depends on how many rounds you shoot. For a hunting gun that is shot very little, (250 rounds a year) most anything will work but start shooting 500 rounds a week and things start wearing and breaking. Heck I even saw a RR NM hammer that broke on another forum just this week, about 2500 rounds I think.

And yes coyotes are big and easy, until they're not big and easy...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if slop works for you, then slop works for you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Have been very happy with my RR two stage varmint WTF they call it.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TWR
I run my marathon Sunday but after that I think we could use another MOA challenge. Lot's of talented shooters here...

For the trigger question, I've polished plenty of them and tried Jewells, Millazo, RR NM, Geissele G2S, BM 2 stage, ALG ACT, PSA's "enhanced" model, Timney, McM and an Armalite.

I use the G2S not because it's the best out there but because it's the best for the money, robust, a good smooth pull, solid wall, made from tool steel and is good enough for me.

Have yet to see any serious shooter stick with a polished stock trigger.

Not by any means an expert on anything, but I've polished triggers, bought expensive single stage triggers and was more impressed by the Geissele G2S than any trigger for the money. Buy it, lube it and be done.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
its great that you also reduced the amount of engagement on the sear that probably really helps!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It really does help to cut the sear engagement some. Thats one of the first places to start, to get less creep.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 3,087 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,968
Posts18,499,277
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.