Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Well, that's freaking stupid.....obviously so. Not surprised you'd condone it though.

I'm not surprised you've never read a book.

I'm also not surprised you can't go 9 for 10 offhand on an 18" gong @ 220yds.

Feel free to roll film and prove me wrong.

Dave

That's even a more stupid idea.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well there's a shock.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote=JGRaider]I'm also not surprised you can't go 9 for 10 offhand on an 18" gong @ 220yds.Dave
Childs play. I used to have a railroad tie plate hanging hanging from a chain in a tree 250 yards from my back porch. Used to step out and shoot at it all the time, always offhand. Once I figured out what branch on the tree to hold on for elevation I could ring it 8 out of 10 times with an iron sighted .22 on a calm day. Don't beleive it GFY. It's the truth. Went field walking tonight with my .22 magnum and shot 3 woodchucks. One at 40 yards, one at 97 and one at 110. The 40 yarder was offhand, the other two I took kneeling. 3 shots. 3 dead chucks. All head shot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blackheart
[quote=JGRaider]I'm also not surprised you can't go 9 for 10 offhand on an 18" gong @ 220yds.Dave
Childs play. I used to have a railroad tie plate hanging hanging from a chain in a tree 250 yards from my back porch. Used to step out and shoot at it all the time, always offhand. Once I figured out what branch on the tree to hold on for elevation I could ring it 8 out of 10 times with an iron sighted .22 on a calm day. Don't beleive it GFY.

That's a really cool made up story.

Now pull up a chair and sit next to the Texan.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm not a liein' POS goat fuggin' drunk like you.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You're also not a gunsmith.

And you sure as fugk can't shoot offhand as well as I can.

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You're also not a gunsmith.

And you sure as fugk can't shoot offhand as well as I can.

Travis
Pretty sure I could hold my own against you any day from any position. The fact that I had the highest offhand average in the league when I shot NRA registered 4 position smallbore makes me think your boasting is founded in fantasy as usual.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Must have been a great photographer to grab that photo!

I especially like the composition and color balance....

The fact that I hit it and we only had one take is even better...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We had a guy in our club who couldn't, under normal circumstances, hit a bull in the ass with a scoop shovel when shooting offhand. He was a short skinny fella and nervous as all get out- one of those guys who was always moving even when standing still. Before the start of each relay at our twice a month smallbore silhouette matches he would go over to the trunk of his car and take a couple good slugs of cheap jug wine, step up to the line, and clean our clocks. The range officers knew what he was up to and as long as he didn't get carried away or do something stupid they let him go. I never did see him actually drunk.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sounds like he had the right idea. If you get drunk, you shoot worse.

I think many have discovered the same when it comes to golf or shooting pool.

Travis

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ldholton

When hunting I try not to shoot offhand , I take advantage of any support I can.

I actually do better at 'moving' targets off hand. There's something about fluid motion that's much easier than a stationary (small) target.

IF, IF I have any option I never 'choose' to shoot offhand.

I also carry 'light weight' Stoney Point shooting sticks. I've had them several years and MOST of the time I get shots FROM the sticks. They work and they boost confidence.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
We heard Al Biesen passed away at 100 years old. His legend will live on. JOC was a lucky man to have hunted with Als masterpieces.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that people aught to shoot groups standing with cross sticks if they use them or without sticks to see what accuracy they will have in the field. If they only go by bench rest accuracy off sand bags, they should bring the bench and sand bags when their hunting.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bugger
I believe that people aught to shoot groups standing with cross sticks if they use them or without sticks to see what accuracy they will have in the field. If they only go by bench rest accuracy off sand bags, they should bring the bench and sand bags when their hunting.

I site in and work up loads from a bench rest. Then I practice with a stick and offhand to see how poor I really am. I've noted I shoot about 1-2 inches higher and groups spread some in offhand at 100 yards than with the rifle on a bench rest. With a shooting stick is much better.
This might be startling or disappointing to anyone who hasn't tried it before. I have a whole different head/rifle/elbow orientation on the bench than offhand. I just accept it and practice.
Offhand an hasty sling or the offhand position I was taught at PI help.
Public ranges usually won't let you shoot with a stick or offhand though. Another good reason to join your local club.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find the biggest impediments to successfully shooting big game offhand are being out of breath from walking hills, and buck fever.

The buck fever can even be terminal with a good rest!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Practice like you hunt, using realistic shot presentations, taken from realistic field positions. Know your gear and know how to manage it well while afield. Push your gear and yourself in practice to prove your limits, and discipline yourself to stay within these limits when taking shots on game.

In the above context, shooting offhand on game is not taboo. Some of the best hunting experiences I've had in my life involved some form of roving beautiful country while shooting game that was driven out of cover. Be it small game, upland game, deer driven from cover, boar busted from the rocks, etc. I've done this with shotgun, carbine, rifle, handgun, and even bow and arrow. Quite a number of times the shot presentation required executing an offhand shot, to include using a rifle. I've always favored the excitement and joy from the dynamics of such hunts vs the stagnation of sitting on one spot all day waiting for the game to pass by. The most cherished were w/ a self bow made out of a stave from a tree my Grandfather felled. And I guarantee I cannot keep each shot inside a foot circle at 100yards w/ that bow.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Al passed away on the 14th I believe, but he was 98, not 100.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not sure why anyone would shoot off hand when you could (and should) be using sticks. They will double your effective range,and triple it if your sitting with a good back rest. I never shoot without them unless shooting prone. Shot a couple of shots today kneeling off my sticks today at 90yds for practice with my 243. Both shots were centered and an inch apart. I shoot like this weekly to 200yds. Probably a 3" average at that range with sticks. If a 2foot circle was my benchmark,I'd find another hobby.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atse
Not sure why anyone would shoot off hand when you could (and should) be using sticks.

Because they have mastered the skill, they know how to shoot a rifle, and executing well aimed shots on certain shot presentations would be handicapped if sticks were used.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by atse
Not sure why anyone would shoot off hand when you could (and should) be using sticks. They will double your effective range,and triple it if your sitting with a good back rest. I never shoot without them unless shooting prone. Shot a couple of shots today kneeling off my sticks today at 90yds for practice with my 243. Both shots were centered and an inch apart. I shoot like this weekly to 200yds. Probably a 3" average at that range with sticks. If a 2foot circle was my benchmark,I'd find another hobby.

That really sucks you can't shoot offhand.

Travis

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.