Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Czech, very well put.

Thats mostly the same as watching smoke go too! Thats where I started to learn a bit more, watching water and smoke years ago.

Tells you a lot.

Wide open country, and steady winds, no brainer... dial and shoot.

Start adding canyons, lips, edges etc and unless I can see leaves and grass moving around, the bet is probably off IE I wont' shoot.

I have no issues to 600 with "featureless" areas and steady wind. I"d prefer 25 mph steady, rather than the winds that go from side to side at 12 mph falling to 5mph in an instant and back up again...

I will NOT EVER shoot on a falling wind. Its too hard for me to sense the falling part. I will shoot on a rising or steady wind though, my body can sense the increases much better than the decreases. Thats just me.

The question has no fixed answer. I've said it before, I've refused 200 yard shots because the wind blew my position around to much to be reliably accurate, disregarding the wind factor.

And I've taken shots just past 800, and almost had a good one at 920ish I think, but the game walked off after a verification toss at a rock about 200 feet to the side of the game...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by czech1022
I've been a meteorologist for more than 35 years and in the last 15 years have specialized in microscale and mesoscale meteorology, especially doping the wind for wildland firefighters so they could stay out of the way of really large, fast-moving fires that are primarily moved by the wind.

Unless you're VERY skilled, figuring wind across a canyon is mostly a matter of luck. And even if you're very skilled, you won't get it right every time...sometimes not even most of the time.

Look at a small stream, how it moves quickly in the middle, slows near the sides and eddies where it actually makes contact with the bank. Then the eddies make contact with the slower water, causing turbulence, and the slower water creates friction with the faster water, which constantly moves the boundary between the areas of water moving at different speeds.

Now translate all of that into a vertical dimension rather than horizontal, switch the water for wind and you'll have SOME of the variability encountered in valley winds.

Kestrels are handy but they have their own limitations. Essentially, you have to accept that they are only measuring the wind they are exposed to - the wind at the height above the ground you're holding it, at the elevation on the hillside you're standing on, and only THAT hillside. It simply will not be the same in the center of the valley or on the other side of the valley.

Drawing a straight line across a valley to represent the path of a bullet, the center of the valley will generally have stronger winds because of less friction with the surface. Occasionally it will have much stronger winds because of the venturi effect that comes into play when wind is being funneled through a valley that is becoming narrower in the direction the wind is traveling.

If the valley is curving, you'll also get some rising motion on the outside edge, just like rushing water trying to make it around a tight bend in the river. We once had a nighttime backfire go exactly the wrong direction because down-valley winds picked up enough to push air up and over a cliffside that was directly above a bend in the river (the top of the cliff was where we lit our backfire).

Rising air will also play havoc with winds as the ground heats up in the afternoon. And since one side of the valley will almost always have different surface temps than the other side, influence on horizontally-moving wind will vary across the canyon, too.

Even when the wind is steady, friction with the surface will cause turbulence that builds steadily upward, turning your winds in multiple directions until it gets so far from the surface that it disengages - wherein the turbulence suddenly collapses and the wind becomes steady again. This steadiness only lasts until friction starts creating turbulence at ground-level again, building upwards from the surface in an ever-continuing cycle.

The motto of this story is simple: if you have still or very light winds, you might chance a long shot across a canyon and you will probably do well if you're a skilled shooter and if you don't wait long enough for conditions to change. But never assume the wind is doing anything you can count on - especially over long distances - and be ready for the consequences.

This is all useful information but I think a problem people often have when "learning" about long range shooting is they get too deep into minutia. Even if you have the finest .338 WTF in the world and have accounted for every perceivable variable, you are going to fugk up sometimes. Which is why I think more people should practice in the worst possible conditions they plan on hunting in, pick a max range, and leave it at that. I think the idea that "If it's calm I'll shoot to range X, if it's windy I'll shoot to range Y" can cause people problems in the field. Maybe not immediately but eventually.

To assume the wind is the same over there as it is over here is a bad idea. The wind is never the same in two places where I shoot. Ever. And it is rare to shoot on a calm day here.

Once I started shooting at long range with hunting rigs I figured out it is best to keep thinks in perspective.

-What do we need to hit? A 9" ball.

-Am I going hunting in a hurricane? No.

-Am I going hunting when it's raining and blowing 20mph? Probably.

-How far can I consistently hit in schitty conditions given my rifle/combo? (For me it has proven to be 450-500yds)

-Is my rifle/combo capable of MOA or better to my max range? They are.

So it comes down to the fact you're going to misjudge some schit. But you're still only trying to hit a 9" ball so that's ok.

Here's a good example from last week. 450yds. Target is 8" across. Pretty bad wind. Lots of gusting. The shot is low because I was aiming low due to it only being half filled with water and I wanted to see the hit.

Did I center punch it? No. If that's a mule deer's vitals is he going very far? Doubt it.

[Linked Image]

And at the end of the day all this has proven to be a waste of time because I've only shot one pronghorn doe @ 400ish yds. And to be honest, if I just drove around some more I probably would gotten one at 50... grin

God bless,
Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
" Even if you have the finest .338 WTF in the world and have accounted for every perceivable variable, you are going to fugk up sometimes. Which is why I think more people should practice in the worst possible conditions they plan on hunting in, pick a max range, and leave it at that."

THAT'S IT: Simplify, practice until you KNOW it, not just think it, and "leave it at that".

Well done.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not much. That's because over the years of shooting at rocks, I've learned that in the field, at least in the mountains and deserts here in the west, the wind can do lots of tricky things.
Your elk at 400 yds. would have to be holding still with less than 3 mph wind and it would have to be in a steady direction. On top of that, I'd need to range him with a LRF, and have a solid rest to shoot from. Above all, I'd have to have field tested the load I was using at said distance(s) in such a wind....
I might be inclined to shoot at a deer more readily simply because they die easier than the big tough animals with a less than good hit.
The other thing is that if he's holding still for all of the above, he probably doesn't know I'm around. Therefore, I can try getting closer. Yes, you can get closer even across open ground. I've done it with both elk and pronghorn. E

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Not much. That's because over the years of shooting at rocks, I've learned that in the field, at least in the mountains and deserts here in the west, the wind can do lots of tricky things.
Your elk at 400 yds. would have to be holding still with less than 3 mph wind and it would have to be in a steady direction. On top of that, I'd need to range him with a LRF, and have a solid rest to shoot from. Above all, I'd have to have field tested the load I was using at said distance(s) in such a wind....
I might be inclined to shoot at a deer more readily simply because they die easier than the big tough animals with a less than good hit.
The other thing is that if he's holding still for all of the above, he probably doesn't know I'm around. Therefore, I can try getting closer. Yes, you can get closer even across open ground. I've done it with both elk and pronghorn. E

Less than 3mph of wind?

How many elk are you going to find on the surface of the moon?

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
czech1022, that was a brilliant piece. You certainly know the specifics much better than most anyone, especially me, but I've been saying much the same the past several years about how unpredictable and baffling the wind is.

It is nice having an expert explain the facts, and why they are facts.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Expert on wind and how it works..... dip schitt on actual shooting in it.....

People who ACTUALLY SHOOT..... will have an ACTUALL grasp on their abilities.....

Wankers who like to tell other people what/when/where/how to shoot.... but actually do very little of it themselves.... have no idea what their personal limits are..... because they're inside pounding away on a keyboard when then wind is blowing harder than 2-3mph.

Knowing what shots not to take.... takes experience. You don't get that experience by NOT shooting in the wind......

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've had my own dose of wind snafu's out west.....played with it intentionally ( on rocks not animals) to see the effects.Shoot through it at the range, etc etc.

Mostly saw it back in the days when I was a lot more innocent about it than later on.

I've passed shots I considered to be "risky" in the wind....but also made one of my longest ever after "doping", which was really a well educated guess. smile

I wonder sometimes,lets say at 400-700 yards, how much correction do people find acceptable on an unwounded bull elk at 400 + yards?

How much full value wind will make you take a pass on the shot?

I ask because the subject seems to get a lot of press on here.

Thanks. smile

For me, it's not so much how much wind, but how gusty it is. And that is assuming I have the opportunity to get a good read on it. If I don't have the opportunity to get out the kestrel, my distance is going to be much shorter.

In general, I won't shoot at an animal at a distance greater than I can reliably make first round hits on an 8" steel plate on my own range. Most of the time that seems to work out to be something less than 600 yards. I don't know what it is about 600 yards, but that is the distance for me where things seem to switch from being relatively easy to pretty dang difficult...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Expert on wind and how it works..... dip schitt on actual shooting in it.....

People who ACTUALLY SHOOT..... will have an ACTUALL grasp on their abilities.....

Wankers who like to tell other people what/when/where/how to shoot.... but actually do very little of it themselves.... have no idea what their personal limits are..... because they're inside pounding away on a keyboard when then wind is blowing harder than 2-3mph.

Knowing what shots not to take.... takes experience. You don't get that experience by NOT shooting in the wind......

Of course you have to shoot. How else you going to learn? smile

You gotta remember that not everyone lives out west,can't obtain constant exposure to the conditions you see all the time. Not a lack of shooting but simply that in different parts of the country the conditions of a 20 mph wind in steady directions for hours on end don't exist for everyone.

example....it takes a BAD day on my home range to see 2MOA of correction....that's per my match shooting buddies...not me.

I'm primarily interested in seeing what conditions experienced shooters find acceptable on unwounded BG animals.Not matches or practice, where you are compelled to take a shot with impunity and no "risk".To me that's worthwhile only in terms of practice.

Rather what's regarded as acceptable "risk" on live game. Is a foot of correction acceptable? Two feet? Three? smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you can't practice it.... you shouldn't try to bring it at game time.....

Unfortunately.... there's lots of folks who do have the opportunity to shoot in the wind..... they just choose not too, then bitch about how hard it is, or like to tell someone else not to do it.

I try not to start a bullet in a bad place, in hopes that it'll make it to a good place. That means not shooting at the ass end of critters at any range, hoping to drive it through to the vitals. It means not holding so much wind that it starts the bullet aimed at the paunch. It means not taking shots where I have a lot of lead on moving critters. But, I KNOW my limitations in the field.... because I push them all the time.

Like I tell my sales guys all the time: if you don't Know..... then it's No....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good advice. smile

That's the point.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
But, I KNOW my limitations in the field.... because I push them all the time.

Like I tell my sales guys all the time: if you don't Know..... then it's No....

That's the ticket. Good, honest post.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The only thing shooting in wind has taught me, is how hard it is to hit things at distance in the wind.

Shooting steel that doesn't run away when you miss, is easy enough to hit through trial and error. To boast you can guess drift before ever firing a shot in volatile conditions is probably as much luck as skill. I have a drift chart and meter, but you have to assume a lot of things before pulling the trigger.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
The only thing shooting in wind has taught me, is how hard it is to hit things at distance in the wind.

Shooting steel that doesn't run away when you miss, is easy enough to hit through trial and error. To boast you can guess drift before ever firing a shot in volatile conditions is probably as much luck as skill. I have a drift chart and meter, but you have to assume a lot of things before pulling the trigger.

IMO, this is the most concise, accurate assessment I've ever read on the subject. In my limited experience this really nails it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I shoot a lot of crows each year. Quite a few. Big deal you say. Mostly I shoot after deer season when the wind always blows and am basically shooting at a 20 ounce soda bottle from one hundred to several hundred yards away. Much smaller than the vitals of a big game animal. And crows are seldom sitting still, always skittish - especially the educated ones.

A while back I came up with a plan that works well for me. I divide the target into fourth's. If there is a 5 mph wind hold center and send it. 10 mph hold off one forth of the target width into the direction the wind is coming from. 15 mph hold off one half of the target. You would be surprised how a simple system like this will improve your hits.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
One thing that has not been mentioned is the value of a spotter in wind conditions, If you are shooting alone you are at a disadvantage in windy conditions if you have an unexperienced spotter you have the same disadvantage. If you have a spotter with the same experience as you do you can extend your range several hundred yards.

With my longtime hunting partner both of us made longrange hits in the wind several times past the mile mark, my hunting partner moved on to other things. I took my lifelong best friend with me on a hunting trip last year.....took a shot at 900yards........Where did it hit ??????

Lets go home....

Those that live in the myopia of one shot one kill have a spotter that are as good as they are.....and sometimes they miss the first and hit on the second !!!!!! No chance on the second with a crappy spotter.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by boatanchor
One thing that has not been mentioned is the value of a spotter in wind conditions, If you are shooting alone you are at a disadvantage in windy conditions if you have an unexperienced spotter you have the same disadvantage. If you have a spotter with the same experience as you do you can extend your range several hundred yards.

With my longtime hunting partner both of us made longrange hits in the wind several times past the mile mark, my hunting partner moved on to other things. I took my lifelong best friend with me on a hunting trip last year.....took a shot at 900yards........Where did it hit ??????

Lets go home....

Those that live in the myopia of one shot one kill have a spotter that are as good as they are.....and sometimes they miss the first and hit on the second !!!!!! No chance on the second with a crappy spotter.....

PM your address and I'll send a shoehorn to help remove your head from your ass.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
boatanchor,

I took my dad one time. I fired and then asked him where it hit since it was a test shot. He said, "I don't know I was looking at you." I figured there was no way to communicate. I asked him to watch for me so he was watching me. blush I figured there was no way to help him understand why I set up the spotter and made sure he could see the target.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by deflave

PM your address and I'll send a shoehorn to help remove your head from your ass.

Dave

I would take you up on this but you have been using it on yourself for decades.....surely with hundreds if not thousands of layers of fecal material. I will allow you to keep it in your mouth where it belongs.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"You missed two MOA wide at that antelope 1 mile away. Shoot again."

Travis

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.