Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just finished watching old Survivor episodes at 10 pm with the dog and cat on the back of the couch above me. Both pets and I all jump up when we hear someone banging around on the front porch. Sounded like a heavy person ran up the steps and landed on the deck. Dog barking, cats eyes all bugged out looking outside, hair on my neck standing up.

Followed the dog out (armed of course!) and made the usual laps, but she never hit any scent or flushed anything. Searched the house when we returned, no bogeys indoors. We live on 5 acres in the country, nobody drove up the road, neighbors all good. No debris on the porch a raccoon would want, etc.

First time it happened was about 9 years ago wife and I both heard someone walking across deck, jumped up nobody there. Happened a few times since then, but honestly usually happens when I'm out hunting or some such, so figured it might be my wife's imagination. No mistaking this one though.

I have no explanation. Both pets heard it plain as day too. Ever happen to anyone else? Definitely heightens the senses.

LOL
GB4

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ringman! ?

Mothman? !

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haint.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When I was a kid we lived in a wood frame house. During the summer months the frame would expand during the heat of day and shrink late at night. As it shrank you'd hear a popping noise , sometimes a rat-a-tat-tat noise as though someone was in the attic.

Last edited by websterparish47; 04/23/16.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Trail cams or security cam system could end the speculation.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
big foot

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Just finished watching old Survivor episodes at 10 pm with the dog and cat on the back of the couch above me. Both pets and I all jump up when we hear someone banging around on the front porch. Sounded like a heavy person ran up the steps and landed on the deck. Dog barking, cats eyes all bugged out looking outside, hair on my neck standing up.

Followed the dog out (armed of course!) and made the usual laps, but she never hit any scent or flushed anything. Searched the house when we returned, no bogeys indoors. We live on 5 acres in the country, nobody drove up the road, neighbors all good. No debris on the porch a raccoon would want, etc.

First time it happened was about 9 years ago wife and I both heard someone walking across deck, jumped up nobody there. Happened a few times since then, but honestly usually happens when I'm out hunting or some such, so figured it might be my wife's imagination. No mistaking this one though.

I have no explanation. Both pets heard it plain as day too. Ever happen to anyone else? Definitely heightens the senses.
Weird. When wood beams are under pressure, and start to break, they will sometimes make a sound like that, but that doesn't sound like your situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first apartment I moved into had had some party kids living in it before me. My understanding is they grew some weed in there and had to leave in a hurry as the local police were showing interest in having a little Come to Jesus with them. About the third night I was in there, two kids came knocking on the door at about 2:30 in the morning after the bars started closing. I had no idea who they were or why they were knocking on my door. I rolled out of bed, hit the floor and racked the 870 all in one motion. They took off like a couple of turpentined cats. Never had a lick of trouble after that. They damned hear got hit by a car when they ran across the street, as I heard breaks skidding, and some choice invective's hurled their way as they hit the street.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The trail camera is your friend.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a thought, maybe an owl chasing some small critter that had mishap, but was able to fly away??

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watching Survivor??

You turn in your man card? grin

Black Cows Matter!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That was mean, even for a Iowanian.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Muleshoe is SO off base, I too am a Survivor Freak!

Strange, but as I was reading this, my dog just let off at the front door, and there's no one there either... Happens sometimes..

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
The first apartment I moved into had had some party kids living in it before me. My understanding is they grew some weed in there and had to leave in a hurry as the local police were showing interest in having a little Come to Jesus with them. About the third night I was in there, two kids came knocking on the door at about 2:30 in the morning after the bars started closing. I had no idea who they were or why they were knocking on my door. I rolled out of bed, hit the floor and racked the 870 all in one motion. They took off like a couple of turpentined cats. Never had a lick of trouble after that. They damned hear got hit by a car when they ran across the street, as I heard breaks skidding, and some choice invective's hurled their way as they hit the street.
I guess it's true what they say about the sound of a pump shotgun having its action racked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sometime the squirrels that infest by yard and trees make kamikaze runs across my deck (breeding season or some such thing). I have several times mistaken this bounding/running event as a person walking on the deck. I seen them to this jump, bound, run thing several times and wonder(ed) at how such a small critter can make such a heavy/loud sound on the deck.

I also have a coon that raids my dog and cat food dishes left out on the deck... I believe that coon gets on the rail and dives headfirst into the kibble and water... loudest damn thump ever, generally all I find in my search is a set of fresh wet coon tracks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Muleshoe is SO off base, I too am a Survivor Freak!

I too watch it. If you are a people watcher, this show will make you wonder what some of these people are thinking. They will try to explain but most times it makes no sense, except the paranoia. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Haint.

Made me think of the old colored people around here that would bury tire in the ground and paint the top half white. Paint the first 4-5' of,a tree white too.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Haint.

Made me think of the old colored people around here that would bury tire in the ground and paint the top half white. Paint the first 4-5' of,a tree white too.
When I was a youngster, the town 4 miles south had big native Elms on both sides of main street. They would whitewash the trunks every year. Then the Dutch Elm disease got them all. People said they did it for bugs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should of gone all Biden and popped off a few rounds into the air.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ninjas.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,346
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.