Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Shrapnel for president! You see things the way they should be viewed ! Maybe it is our punishment for living so long! God help me if I live as long as my dad I have at least another 25 years in this sh$t world! I can believe the crap people consider as important! Prince dying, Jackson dying, people die these were dope heads! Who gives a crap!

Molon Labe
GB4

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
snyper said:

"Who sold the most records and had the most Grammy awards?
Which was the Ex-con?
Don't be hatin'"

Prince's lyrics are gibberish.
I love the way a lib, if you don't like something on the lib agenda, calls you a "hater."
I don't hate Prince, never bothered with his music enough to love or hate him.

Why do you have to throw around such a weighted word?
Next you will call me sexist or racist.
Oh, the horror you are breaking my heart Mr. Liberal! I may have to get counseling now that you have exposed my hate and racism.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Pretty much every Merle Haggard tune had better lyrics. Merle never wrote or sang a bad song.

Steve.

Merle wrote a lot of really good songs but he did sing some that weren't much. Some of the Tommy Collins songs come to mind. I had a friend who used to say about Merle: "Why settle for fifty percent when you can get a hundred." He was comparing Merle to Hank Sr. I'd have to agree on that as far as consistency but I do love a lot of Merle's songs.

Prince was a very good musician and could play a lot of instruments well. The lyrics to his songs were not as good as his musical skills.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bowmanh

The lyrics to his songs were not as good as his musical skills.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Gotta love Merle.

Haggard was married five times, first to Leona Hobbs from 1956 to 1964. They had four children: Dana, Marty, Kelli, and Noel. Shortly after divorcing Hobbs, in 1965 he married singer Bonnie Owens, former wife of Buck Owens, and a successful country singer at the time. Haggard credited her with helping him make his big break as a country artist. Haggard shared the writing credit with Owens for his hit "Today I Started Loving You Again", and acknowledged, including on stage, that the song was about a sudden burst of special feelings he experienced for her while they were touring together. She also helped care for Haggard's children from his first marriage, and was the maid of honor for Haggard's third marriage. Haggard and Owens divorced in 1978, but remained close friends as Owens continued as his backing vocalist until her death in 2006. In 1978 Haggard married Leona Williams; they divorced in 1983. In 1985 Haggard married Debbie Parret; they divorced in 1991. He married his fifth wife, Theresa Ann Lane, on September 11, 1993. They had two children, Jenessa and Ben. A truck driver and part-time musician named Scott Haggard has said that he is Merle Haggard's son from a brief relationship in 1968. According to Scott Haggard, a DNA test confirmed the paternity, but Scott and Merle Haggard had no contact until 2004, when they met and talked after a concert. After that, they had sporadic contact. As of Merle Haggard's death, his family had not confirmed or denied Scott Haggard's paternity.

Haggard said he started smoking marijuana when he was 41 years old. He admitted that in 1983 he bought "$2,000 (worth) of cocaine" and partied for five months afterward, when he said he finally realized his condition and quit for good. He quit smoking cigarettes in 1991, and stopped smoking marijuana in 1995. However, a Rolling Stone magazine interview in 2009 indicated that he had resumed regular marijuana smoking.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shrapnel: You cannot possibly be serious. Look at the traditional western boom towns. Bars, brothels and many rough characters. Of course cowboys after riding, ropin' and pushing cows for days and weeks at a time would roll into town and go to church. That would be because they didn't, drink or have unclean thoughts of women.

Last edited by pak; 04/24/16.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pak
Shrapnel: You cannot possibly be serious. Look at the traditional western boom towns. Bars, brothels and many rough characters. Of course cowboys after riding, ropin' and pushing cows for days and weeks at a time would roll into town and go to church. That would be because they didn't, drink or have unclean thoughts of women.

You've watched way too many "B" movies. Your reality is from television...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried to watch purple rain again,first time since the eighties,and like the first time I lasted about 15 minutes.

I liked some of princes music,one of my friends actually knew him , but I wouldn't put any importance to any of his lyrics whatsoever,or any pop music song really.
that would be like picking a used car,solely because of the color,rather than how many miles it has. or what condition it is in.
at least in my opinion.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever heard a Prince song I don't remember it, never saw Purple Rain either, but one things certain, Prince did OK for Prince, like him or not, he was a tremendous success.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Nine pounds max.

Scoped?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by shrapnel

The riddles of life could be answered a lot easier if you asked a cowboy. People today are so confused they can't tell men from women anymore, and it is considered wrong to ask.

Music has changed to where lyrics are crude and mostly indistinguishable. Music and entertainment has crossed the line where the unacceptable is commonplace.

Like it or not, if the world was run by cowboys, life would be better, certainly more simple. I doubt you would see this guy laughing at vulgar jokes in a night club or attending a Prince concert...

[Linked Image]

Cowboys nightclub = Saloon

you mean like this?

Or this?

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are right! I'm the only guy on the planet that believes Miss Kitty was just a barmaid.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was the drugs talking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All you damn homos can quit with the damn Merle-love already.

Merle was a fuggin obamalover

Merle Haggard on obama ;

“It was also nice to meet Obama and find him very different from the media makeout. It’s really almost criminal what they [the media] do with our President,” Haggard tells Rolling Stone. “There seems to be no shame or anything. They call him all kinds of names all day long, saying he’s doing certain things that he’s not. It’s just a big old political game that I don’t want to be part of. There are people spending their lives putting him down.”

Read More: Merle Haggard: 'It's Criminal What They Do to Our President' | http://tasteofcountry.com/merle-haggard-president-obama/?trackback=tsmclip

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Prince was so popular, especially with Purple Rain, with women, young ones.... it didn't have to make sense... they don't make sense.... but they love something all touchy feely and emotional...

so its a good thing it makes no sense to most of you guys...

I mean we're talking a 5 foot tall 98 lb weakling Mulatto kid from Minneapolis....

he had talent, that he was able to sell...he ran a good business at Paisley Park...

despite being what many of us would call awfully [bleep] like, he was also a very generous individual... with his time, sharing the financial benefits of his success with those that worked for him...more power to him...

sorry to see him pass away at only 57.. I would have wished him a longer and healthier life....

I liked some of Merle's Stuff.... one of my favorite songs of his is Pancho and Lefty....that song makes zero sense either.. but I still like it...

one takes from a song, what they take from it... and for each of us that can be something totally different than the others....

ya wanna talk about useless and overrated... let's talk about the Beattles...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like Prince. Strike that, I have really enjoyed some of his stuff, mostly the Purple Rain era and mostly becuase of when I heard it / being in a youthful, formative period.

He's creative and quite an entertainer.

That said, I've listened to his interviews over the years and of course recently. Like many artists/famous people, I just dont see him as being as deep as he portrays. Rick Ocasic (sp?) of the Cars once said in an interview, he just makes stuff up so the lyrics fit the flow of the melody of the song. I wouldnt doubt for a second if he wrote it attempting to be all metaphorical and deep, and then later noticed it "could have" meant something else "better" and ran with that story.

PRain is I think, a classic because of the genre and the era. To me.

It's just music & art. Room for all sorts of flavors.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
OK so maybe it's not as profound as the old time classics such as the Age of Aquarius or Tootie Fruitier. You know the billboard classics from yesteryear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
snyper said:

"Who sold the most records and had the most Grammy awards?
Which was the Ex-con?
Don't be hatin'"

Prince's lyrics are gibberish.
I love the way a lib, if you don't like something on the lib agenda, calls you a "hater."
I don't hate Prince, never bothered with his music enough to love or hate him.

Why do you have to throw around such a weighted word?
Next you will call me sexist or racist.
Oh, the horror you are breaking my heart Mr. Liberal! I may have to get counseling now that you have exposed my hate and racism.

If I called you sexist or racist I'd probably be right

You didn't hesitate to start name calling just because I didn't say Merle was better.

That "weighted word" seems to fit judging by your overreaction and overcompensation

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Years ago, when I used to play a little music, I hung around way too many singer/song writers. Even the ones who didn't get high (or at least not much) were too wierd to figure out.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prince vs. Haggard.

Its the new hot/cold chamber

or 30-06 vs. 270

or 30-06 vs 308

or 9mm vs. 45

or brunette vs blond..

or...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,248
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.