Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As I mentioned, Dutch: I did and I am. (It still blows my ever-loving mind to try to grasp that.)

But if you are in your 20s, let it be a lesson to you: you CAN do it.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Compound interest is a very elementary, and practical way to make money, at least in theory. Like hatari said, no way to average 6-7% interest every year.

I don't recall any of the wealthiest of the wealthy that made their fortunes in the stock market anyway. They made it by inheriting it, in business, etc, not Wall St.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yes, indeed. My wife and I started at $100 a month when I was only making $800 as a young lieutenant. It astounds me to no end to realize that our net worth now starts with the word "multi."

I wasn't in the army but I can easily say my net worth is easily multi-hundreds, not many can make the same claim. Saving can't be emphasized enough...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Yes, indeed. My wife and I started at $100 a month when I was only making $800 as a young lieutenant. It astounds me to no end to realize that our net worth now starts with the word "multi."

I wasn't in the army but I can easily say my net worth is easily multi-hundreds, not many can make the same claim. Saving and investing with a mix in the stock market/bonds, etc., can't be emphasized enough...

That is a fact. smile

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I wasn't in the army but I can easily say my net worth is easily multi-hundreds, not many can make the same claim. Saving can't be emphasized enough...

I bet you have a $ 1 million in stories?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Compound interest is a very elementary, and practical way to make money, at least in theory. Like hatari said, no way to average 6-7% interest every year.

I don't recall any of the wealthiest of the wealthy that made their fortunes in the stock market anyway. They made it by inheriting it, in business, etc, not Wall St.

Inheriting is the best... smile

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I heard an interesting thought at a talk about investing.

Question #1 How much can you lose when you invest?

Answer: 100% Obviously you can lose it all but no more than 100%

Question #2 How much can you gain by investing?

Answer: Potentially many THOUSANDS of %.

That thought helped me get going quite a few years ago.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The OP was not about being the wealthy of the wealthiest or even wealthy rather being able to retire financially sound, to be able to live at least as well as one did while working. Few will be able to do that unfortunately.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Often...simple, boring and consistent allotments is a recipe that works out to be the needed method. Understanding and learning fees associated with certain funds, and picking those funds based on long term value, is a strategy.

Ameriprise, TSP life cycle, various tangibles and a little real estate here.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why do people refuse to accept the fact that the average return in the US stock market over the last 100 years is more than 10%. Over the last 50 years it is more than 10%.

10% is more than 6%. That difference, after applying compound interest, is the difference between retiring comfortably and retiring stinking rich.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Single most powerful factor? Consistency. Think tortoise and the hare. Think compounding interest over time. But it is the very rare person that can do this on their own. Get an advisor you like and not one who is "fee based" seller, but one who profits from your earnings.
Be nimble and diverse. Investments aren't something you buy or invest in and forget. There will be a time to re-balance, which means sell and move to something else. Some mutual fund managers re-balance within an individual fund. Your advisor's job is to be up on new market features that benefit you.
Your goals will change as you grow older. In general, the older you get the more conservative your investments should become.
But consistency is the key.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch

Why do people refuse to accept the fact that the average return in the US stock market over the last 100 years is more than 10%. Over the last 50 years it is more than 10%.

10% is more than 6%. That difference, after applying compound interest, is the difference between retiring comfortably and retiring stinking rich.....

That Wall Street model is what costs Americans Billion$. They have always told their clients that you look at the long haul, not short term. They (Wall Street) will also tell you that over time with the market fluctuations, your principle will double on the average of seven years. Another lie, if it was true, I would have over 3X the money in my 401 that I have now.

It is a fact, that if I did, with someone else's money, what Wall Street did with mine, I would be in prison...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GUNS.

I bought a near mint Python from an Army Reserve buddy in the mid '70's for $185. He was in a bind, needed cash.

Those guns are moving in the $3,500 range today.

Put that up against the stock market, gold, silver, etc..

Not even close...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrap, don't know what to say, but you're doing it wrong. I've only been investing for about 20 years, most all of it in Vanguard's total stock market index funds. Right at 9% lifetime return.

Lately, playing a little with international funds and energy funds (buy low). We'll see how smart I really am in about 5-7 years...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Shrap, don't know what to say, but you're doing it wrong. I've only been investing for about 20 years, most all of it in Vanguard's total stock market index funds. Right at 9% lifetime return.

Lately, playing a little with international funds and energy funds (buy low). We'll see how smart I really am in about 5-7 years...

I haven't been doing it wrong, D A Davidson is doing it wrong. If you think I am happy and want to prove you wrong, you are mistaken. According to their formula, you should have 4 times what you had 14 years ago.

If you do, their formula sure works better for you than for me. I am stuck with investing through the employer with a firm that has lots of agents that sit on the ground floor so when they jump out the window in a down market, they won't get hurt...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are dozens of dividend reinvestment plans that charge no fees.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The reason more people don't do what Buffet recommends, and what RockyRaab (and me) apparently did, is that it involves sacrificing X today for Y tomorrow, where Y is much larger than X. "I'd rather go out drinking with the boys tonight than study for my course" or "I'd rather buy another TV than more savings." Eat the goose now instead of getting golden eggs later.

More recently, though, the Obamunists have really screwed this up by deliberately and artificially keeping interest rates so low. The CEO of Black Rock has estimated that it now takes three times as much savings and investment to have a secure retirement as it did just a few years ago.

The advantage of low interest fates , from the Obamunists' position, is that the Feds have to pay far fewer billions on Treasury Bill interest, and, secondly, they effectively take more wealth out of the hands of the people. where does it go? To the government. And nobody even knows they're doing it.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

If "investment advisers" , old school" fiduciaries", maybe excepted, knew a friggin' thing about investing…they would not be selling their services.

or trying to sell you an annuity.

Buy low……..sell high.

most "investors " get it backwards.

I sold a bit of equities before '08…..but what I kept…I kept.

I think there is a relationship between Bernie voters and the huge amount of people , living on SS.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Low interest, inflation and monetary devaluation in general is a stealth tax that we all pay. It's the govt. hedging it's position at the expense of ours and promising us more of the same. And, we seem to keep buying more and more of what they're "selling".

I think the political revolt we're seeing with Bernie and The Donald reflects the distrust and disgust the electorate has for the govt. "system" as currently operating.

It ain't about us, but it may be...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I haven't been doing it wrong, D A Davidson is doing it wrong. If you think I am happy and want to prove you wrong, you are mistaken. According to their formula, you should have 4 times what you had 14 years ago.

If you do, their formula sure works better for you than for me. I am stuck with investing through the employer with a firm that has lots of agents that sit on the ground floor so when they jump out the window in a down market, they won't get hurt...

Sorry, man, that sucks....... My main Vanguard fund has an expense ratio of 0.05% per year........ I know I doubled the last five years, I'll have to look and see what I did at the 10 and 15 year mark. I tend to not look at it --- the market doesn't effect my choices. Last Fall was the first time I actually moved money out of the index fund to a sector fund.

Managed funds, target date funds, loaded funds.....all increase the costs of investing. Very, very, very few manage to beat the index funds in the long term. It has been done, but it's a rare thing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,409
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.