Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I own an X-Bolt in 7wsm (stainless stalker) and I quite like it. Fits me well, has a stock and pad that really reduce recoil, feeds flawlessly and cycles smoothly, and is consistently sub moa with multiple loads.

It was just under $1k purchased in fall 2014, and I consider it an excellent value. That being said, if Sako made a 7wsm, I would definitely compare feel and fit of them both and get the one I liked the best. In my case for a variety of reasons, I was looking for a 7wsm and the X-Bolt fit me best of the options available.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sako

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The only rifle I ever saw lock up was an XBolt. Bolt locked closed at the shot with factory ammo. Just saying.

I have 3 Sakos and they all are very accurate.

I had to hammer the bolt open on a Ruger 308 once, and I never had it before or after with that rifle.

The ammo was some factory Hirtenberger factory stuff, and something wasn't right with it.

Point being, that a one-time occurrence means about nothing.

I have had a few Browning bolt rifles, and they all functioned well, and were maybe the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles I've had.

I'd prefer a more classic stock style myself, but the Sako synthetics don't horn me up much either, and having to replace the stock on a $1500 Finnlite is ludicrous. I guess if you want a Sako with a good synthetic stock you have to pony up $2800 for a Carbonlite sick

In any event, I wouldn't take a flyer on an 85 given the ejection problems that guys are having (and Beretta won't fix). I hate a scope sitting way up high.

I pretty much agree with all those points. I would look for a 75 or older if buying Sako.

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On a lark, I purchased a .280 Rem. X-Bolt. I had to fuss with it a little, but it is now shooting with my Tikkas, and I am very pleased with its overall performance. It is a far cry from my favorite, but it is a decent enough rifle. CP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you like the Sako, why take a chance? It only hurts for a little while.

Personally, I find the metro-sexual styling of a lot of Brownings, including the X Bolt, to be a bit bizarre.

My feelings as well. I have a couple of Sakos and they are flawless in performance and easy to look at. "Metro-sexual" is a good descriptor for the Browning style these days. I only own one Browning, a Belgian .22 auto. I've seen and handled a lot of X-Bolts and BLR's. The Brownings don't feel good to me and they're hard to look at.

I usually look on firearms purchases as long-term investments. Trendy styling may look good to some now, but down the road, it will likely start to resemble some of the Japanese cars of the 70s and 80s. Classic styling always looks good, like Harris tweed, Levis, and Stetsons.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I look at firearms purchases as indulgences (for the stuff I plan to use, once the basics are covered) and don't give a flying flip what is popular among the interweb crowd at the moment. Pick the rifle that feels best in your hands and never look back, because there isn't anyone on the forum offering a money-back guarantee on the rife of your choice. Browning gets very little love around here, which is fine by me. I can pick up nice rifles at great prices, which suits me fine. Guess I should probably push the theory that Browning rifles are junk to create more opportunities for myself, but that's not how I see it. They are both good rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point about getting whatever feels right to you. Whether or not I care for the style or design features, Brownings are high quality guns that work well. I prefer the older ones, but that's because I'm a reactionary old man whose tastes were acquired in the 1960s. The few issues I've heard about are minor stuff compared to ones from the other makers. Can't recall ever hearing about a safety issue on one of their guns, or about one with QC issues.

I don't like the way the DM assembly on the XBolt looks, but I bet it works.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My biggest complaint about the Xbolt is the magazine rattles in your hand if you carry there. Also wiggles around when loading which feels cheap. Otherwise excellent rifles. I've owned 3. Still own 2. Prefer my Sako 85s but not by much. All 3 Xbolts had wiggly mags.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sako

Chris
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Horseman
My biggest complaint about the Xbolt is the magazine rattles in your hand if you carry there. Also wiggles around when loading which feels cheap. Otherwise excellent rifles. I've owned 3. Still own 2. Prefer my Sako 85s but not by much. All 3 Xbolts had wiggly mags.

I've owned my .308 X-Bolt Hunter for several years now and have yet to experience the loose, wiggly, rattling magazine. The magazine on mine fits very snug even when empty. Guess I got lucky.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Originally Posted by Horseman

I've owned my .308 X-Bolt Hunter for several years now and have yet to experience the loose, wiggly, rattling magazine. The magazine on mine fits very snug even when empty. Guess I got lucky.

I guess you did. Mine have all been long action. Maybe they fit better when shorter. Dunno but I'm 3 for 3 on wigglers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Sako 75 Finnlight in 300 WSM, and I can't think if a thing I don't like. It is heavier than the 308 M85 I have in 308, but the barrel is shorter on the 308, and the M85 is lighter than the 75. Cry once.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.