Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Found in a pawn shop. I love the idea of a 250-3000 in the 99A configuration, but this one may just have too much bad stuff going for it.

Take a look at the pics - rust is prevalent. The barrel band does not seem to belong to the rest of the rifle, and actually covers some of the factory printing on the barrel. The rear sight is bent forward. The forearm and buttstock seem to be of different wood. The buttstock has quite a crack at the tang and perhaps a chunk of wood that broke off, was put back in place and sloppily covered with polyurethane.

On the other hand, the bore is clean and although clearly worn, rifling is clear and even throughout, with no rust or pitting.

If I bought it, what could I do with it? Replace the stock? How much would that cost me? Bead blast and cerakote the metal? Chemically strip the rust and cold blue?

Or should I just give up on the beast?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by czech1022; 04/30/16.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
One more:

[Linked Image]

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's not a 99A, that's a 99H barrel band. Refinished stock, but still.. for $300 I'd have grabbed it as a project/truck gun if the bore was good.

It had a peep sight at one time. I'd likely either put another on or a Stith mount and scope. Be a fun shooter.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Grab it. If you don't want it send me his #, I'd love a beater 250 BB, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd have grabbed it at that price, no matter what condition the bore was in.

Let us know where it is if you decide to not get it for yourself!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
I'd have grabbed it at that price, no matter what condition the bore was in.

Let us know where it is if you decide to not get it for yourself!

me as well even paying exchange and export fee.

love to trip oversomething like that.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You call THAT rusty? Should see some of the doggies I've brought back from the dead....

I'd remove the surface rust with Kroil, bronze wool, and elbow grease, replace the sights, and shoot the heck out of it. JMO, of course.

Some people can't abide a really "worn" gun--I get that. I'm just not one of 'em.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by czech1022
One more:

[Linked Image]

if you end up buying that and don't want a bent rear sight i'll buy it from you ,I like the full buckhorns.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nothing to add, but buy that puppy asap. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll take a slightly different perspective. If your heart is set on a 99 in .250, only want one example (as funny how that idea may be to some) or to keep your collection to a minimum (as funny as that may seem to some too), and want a nice example; then pass on that 99 and put the 300-bucks into a fund to be used on that purchase. Sometimes good buys can be very disappointing if they are bought in an attempt to fulfill a greater or grander want.

Last edited by S99VG; 05/01/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
" The barrel band does not seem to belong to the rest of the rifle, and actually covers some of the factory printing on the barrel."

That is common with this model depending on when it was made.

If you can give me the first part of the serial (I can read it in the photo) I can give you some more details on when it was made.

Butt plate, butt stock and forearm should have the same serial as the rifle. Wood looks correct for that rifle.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I believe the serial number was 365,xxx.

Thanks!
Fred

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't really like buckhorn rear sights. How much would it cost me to pick up a peep sight for it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
any where from $100-200 depending on what you are looking for or are satisfied with
tang sights are generally more than williams or redfield reciever sights .. E bay can be your friend ,,just make sure it's for a model 99 .
some one on the forum here will probably have one .

norm

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
OP, what about this 99 made you think it was a 99A?

Brian

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't know much about 99's. I remember seeing a 99 for sale that was fairly short, with a straight grip - and I vaguely remembered (apparently incorrectly) that it was a 99A.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of Savages most fun models IMO.

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.