Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This could get interesting:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/0...d-confederate-monument.html?intcmp=hpbt2

A Kentucky judge Monday issued a temporary restraining order preventing the city of Louisville from moving a 70-foot-tall Confederate war monument from the spot near the University of Louisville campus where it has stood since 1895.

Jefferson County Circuit Judge Judith McDonald-Burkman issued the order against Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer and the metro area's government, preventing them from moving, disassembling or otherwise tampering with the monument.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans and Everett Corley, a Republican running for Congress, filed for the restraining order on Monday. They contended that the mayor lacks the authority to remove the monument and did not follow proper protocol.

Fischer and University President James Ramsey had announced Friday that they would remove the monument, marking the latest government effort to reconsider displaying Confederate symbols following the massacre of nine black churchgoers in South Carolina last summer.

The city said the stone and bronze structure, for years a source of tension, would be disassembled and moved to storage until a decision is made on where it should be properly displayed.

County Attorney Mike O'Connell said he would aggressively defend the merged city-county government's legal ability to remove the sculpture from its prominent location between Second and Third streets, next to campus and the university's celebrated Speed Art museum, which just completed a $60 million renovation.

The judge scheduled a hearing Thursday morning, though O'Connell's office asked for more time to prepare its legal arguments. The judge will hear that motion Tuesday morning.

Corley, a real estate agent running against two other Republicans to take on Rep. John Yarmuth in the fall, called the statue's proposed removal "the 2016 version of book burning." He said removing the monument — which features statues of three Confederate soldiers and the inscription "To Our Confederate Dead" — would be an insult to soldiers who fought and died.

Kentucky, sandwiched between three free states and three slave states, never seceded from the Union and attempted to remain neutral throughout the Civil War. But its people were deeply divided. Some fought for the Union, others for the Confederacy, and the mixed allegiances tore apart families and communities across the state.

Kentucky is the birthplace of both Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis, the only president of the Confederacy. Both are honored in the state's Capitol rotunda with large statues. Following the Charleston church shootings, leaders from both political parties called for the removal of the Davis statue. But a state commission voted 7-2 to leave it be.

Corley charged that while the city says it plans to move the Louisville monument, it really intends to destroy it and throw it away. O'Connell called that allegation "ridiculous."

Some in the city and the university community have called for years for the monument to be removed. The city's announcement last week came days after Ricky Jones, a professor of Pan-African studies at the university, wrote an opinion piece in the Courier-Journal newspaper calling again for it to be moved. He called it "a symbol of treachery, terrorism, slavery and racism" and a "celebration of backwardness."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, it's racist and all, according to a "professor" of Pan African Studies, whatever that is. How come I never heard of a professor of Pan European Studies? It is about time to consider the history and struggles of ALL people, not just black ones. Sticking your finger in the eye of a group of people will not inspire goodness from them .

Last edited by benchman; 05/02/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pan African Studies. Most be something like top gun for Acorn. Or maybe practice for being a community organizer. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ever happened to the Nathan Bedford Forrest deal in Memphis? It kinda fell off the radar, and I never heard if his body was moved or not. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pan African Studies. Most be something like top gun for Acorn.

Seems just another way to stir up schit. I keep hearing of college classes that sound like something that should never be allowed in a classroom. I think the whole Government funded college system should be overhauled. I know that it is not wholly funded by tax monies but there is a lot, and it should serve the people that are funding it, not be a detriment to society. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they remove confederate symbols because blacks consider them racist... they should rename all the streets, roads, freeways, buildings, airports, etc. that are named after people that whites consider racist.

Last edited by Oldman03; 05/02/16.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can be tolerant of these leftists and some of these NAACP types, and laugh it off as their cynicism, wanting the world their way....

But when they start doing this kind of crap, it makes me see RED... and makes me want to fly a Confederate Flag high...

and these stupid morons who think it is about slavery, can stick it... they don't know schitt...

and while this entire thing is South Carolina was a tragedy, so are the many white deaths yearly, killed by blacks... based strictly on the victims skin color... but the leftist media tend to overlook and quickly forget that stuff...

just right out of the communist manifesto.... divide and conquer different groups... along whatever lines possible..

the liberal left and academia do exactly that...helped right along by the leftist media and the DemocRATS every where...

I use to have no use for the Klan, but all the NAACP and other black groups are, are an Afro Version of the Klan..
and should be treated accordingly....

I can respect a Black American, but I have zero respect for an AfroAmerican, or the liberal whites who kiss their assses at their beck and call...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.