-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
I seem to be having some problems with my 99, I'm sure it's the ejector spring but I have tried 3-4 different types of ammo and it just won't eject the case, if I press on the ejector as I pull the lever it will eventually eject the case.
So my real question here is what bolt would I be looking for, I see that numrich has many to choose from I'm just not sure the right one for a .308, 99, 11132xx,lbc-19t.
Any help would be much appreciated, a link would be great!!

Thks,Eric

Last edited by Etarrant78; 04/30/16.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Say again - over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
does your ejector lay flat with the bolt or is it bent out or proud from the bolt??????

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is no separate ejector spring. The spring is built into the ejector itself.

You sure don't want to be swapping out the whole bolt. It takes some fitting to install a replacement ejector but that is the only logical thing to do. I have some if you want one.

E
OP Offline
E
No the ejector does not seem to be bent, it sits flush with the bolt

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Then the other spot to look is the hooked end of the ejector, is it damaged? or is it filed off shorter than another 99 you can compare to?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
There is no separate ejector spring. The spring is built into the ejector itself.

You sure don't want to be swapping out the whole bolt. It takes some fitting to install a replacement ejector but that is the only logical thing to do. I have some if you want one.

I was thinking that the bolt is not that expensive, and at that point I know what I'm working with, as long as it is a new bolt.
I just hope it's not a head space issue causing to much pressure on the case, but I'm not sure

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by JeffG
Then the other spot to look is the hooked end of the ejector, is it damaged? or is it filed off shorter than another 99 you can compare to?

I don't have another 99 bolt to compare it to,it seems to look ok, comes to a sharp point with no bends,it will ejector a live round but not after its fired

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You can't just swap bolts around. How do you think head spacing is done on the 99?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Etarrant78

I don't have another 99 bolt to compare it to,it seems to look ok, comes to a sharp point with no bends,it will ejector a live round but not after its fired

You might be dealing with sticky fired cases then. Try swabbing out the chamber. The 99 chambers and extraction are a bit sensitive when they get crudded up. And compare some dimensions from a new case to a spent case, to see if your fired rounds are over-expanded in any way.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You might be dealing with sticky fired cases then. Try swabbing out the chamber. The 99 chambers and extraction are a bit sensitive when they get crudded up. And compare some dimensions from a new case to a spent case, to see if your fired rounds are over-expanded in any way.

look at your spent case if it looks like silvered or tiny lines in it instead of smooth brass then your chamber needs polishing.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm guessing a good cleaning is what you need.

You can't just put another bolt in without most likely having to headspace, which will require some machining.

E
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by norm99

look at your spent case if it looks like silvered or tiny lines in it instead of smooth brass then your chamber needs polishing.

norm

I will try to polish it, I remember having to do the same with my mosin, for different reasons though. I do hope it's as simple as just a good cleaning.
Thks

E
OP Offline
E
So I swabbed with #9 and put a 20ga brush on a drill, also used a light rubbing compound with a 20ga brush, I have done this in the past with a mosin to make the bolt not so sticky with great success. I hope it's just that simple, thanks for all the help, I will keep everyone posted on the results.

Thks,Eric

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Are we talking about the extractor or the ejector? The extractor is part of the bolt assembly while the ejector is in the receiver wall on the left side opposite the port. Following your description, it seems as if the cases are not being pulled from the chamber, which suggests an extractor problem. Possibly someone filed the hook on the extractor and it doesn't engage the cartridge rim sufficiently. I'd see about replacing the extractor with a new one.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.