Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
How many of you regularly burn part or all of your land or lease to improve habitat for wildlife? How often? How large an area? What time of year? What species most benefit from the burning? Downsides? How did you learn burning technique?

Thanks, RS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do not, but would like to do part of my land. The problem is that when it needs to be done, it is usually too wet to burn very well. Late winter and early spring would be the ideal time, but my particular piece of land that I would like to burn has standing water at that time. Not deep, but enough to hinder the burn. Rarely are conditions right. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
we burn about 3500 acres a year, we like what we call the 80-80-20 system temp. under 80 deg. humidity 80% wind less than 20 mph, we spend a considerable amount of time with disc cutting our fire breaks getting ready to burn, we burn in a checker board pattern of about 500 acre sections.we keep a burn map and depend on it to keep us organized.

controlled burning helps all the plant life and wildlife on the ranch.

there 3 things land owners don't do enough of, BURN BURN AND BURN. Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the East they don't burn enough and all we end up with is poison ivy, jap honeysuckle and multiflora rose thickets.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
http://rs53.pbsrc.com/albums/g61/BlueRIO7/IMG_2116_zpszj[Linked Image]w9jeyv.jpg~c100

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
we burn about 3500 acres a year, we like what we call the 80-80-20 system temp. under 80 deg. humidity 80% wind less than 20 mph, we spend a considerable amount of time with disc cutting our fire breaks getting ready to burn, we burn in a checker board pattern of about 500 acre sections.we keep a burn map and depend on it to keep us organized.

Truth.

But, I'd rather people pay me to shred it. laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I used to burn 200-300 acres per year for a landowner, but it is hard to make any money doing it. Especially in populated areas, the smoke management issues limit the conditions and acreages that you can burn in without opening yourself up to lawsuits. I can't think of a wildlife species that doesn't benefit from prescribed burning.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Shredding costs to much in tractor fuel and labor,and shredding will not get all the woody plants up off the ground there is a lot of native plant seed that will not grow with out burning, I am happy I don't have to worry about our smoke pi$$ing anyone off. Rio7

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by RipSnort
How many of you regularly burn part or all of your land or lease to improve habitat for wildlife? How often? How large an area? What time of year? What species most benefit from the burning? Downsides? How did you learn burning technique?

Thanks, RS

would you call yourself a "burningman"?

grin

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
There was a time when I thought I was pretty hot, I have been over that for awhile now. Rio7

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

What he said. I burn about 25 or so of the 70 acres on my farm. Most of the areas that I burn are in NWSG or fallow areas and I burn the NWSG on a 2 to 3 year rotation. Its amazing what this does to the landscape and my quail and rabbit numbers have improved dramatically since I started converting the fescue to NWSG and doing prescribed burns. And if you've never witnessed a field of big blue and indian grass burning your in for a treat!!!

Last edited by jaytee; 05/03/16.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
NWSG ?

RS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Native warm season grasses according to google.

Naperville Women's Social Group doesn't sound quite right in this context...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh, you mean weeds.

RS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We used to, have not for years anymore.

But it sure did good.

And I"m always amazed as many grass fires as we run a year, not many folks burn anymore.

But where they do, it really helps the land out.

Want nice green grass? Burn it off and let a month go by and some rain... wow...

I do try to burn my garden off every fall though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This approach makes a lot of sense.

When I was in Zambia quite a while ago, they burned every year.

I don't know how they decided when and how to burn, but I very much doubt that there was much analysis involved. We'd see the line of fire across the horizon in October when it was dry as a bone.

Of course, doing it every year resulted in rather low levels of brush and fires that were reasonably low. My understanding is that the wildlife could easily move away and that burning helped some seeds germinate. I'll have to check it out, since this area of NM high desert gets awfully susceptible to fires.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
we started doing control burns last year and will continue for the next several years.
Our ranch is mainly operated as an elk and wildlife ranch in conjunction with NMDGF. The benefits are great especially if you have allot of old growth and or an overpopulation of small trees etc.. that choke off new growth and compete. We especially concentrate on Juniper (some people refer to as cedar).

Since we are bordered on three sides by NF we also use it to establish a firebreak between us and them

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We had friends with some land close to Laredo.

They too burned about 1/3 every year... on rotation and it sure made a difference for the cattle and the wildlife.

The problem these days is no one wants to burn in national forest for the most part and when you finally get a fire... watch out.

They burned in state forest in E Texas a few years back, and as a matter of fact, I think they did just this past fall when I drove through. Makes a LOT of sense.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Isn't the burning component of land management a terrorist act? There are a couple good men doing time in Pendleton that performed a controlled burn on their lease that are serving their second prison sentence for the one fire.

Fire is an excellent management tool that isn't done enough.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
(Other issues in that case being put on ignore) you have a point
I am not allowed to control burn my state leases w/o their permission per the lease agreement. It is pretty specific what I can and can not do, same as BLM.

It's a great tool if used competently.

Wildlife thrives

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.