Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Arns9
Originally Posted by JimBobwsm
Cant have too much gun....The deer in North Central Kansas are large! When the next deer could be a B&C, I want all the gun I can shoot.

Sound advice, especially when you're traveling from out of state and only have a few days to hunt. Large bodied deer that are full of testosterone can soak up a lot of lead before giving up the ghost. Cartridge choice is a personal matter but I've always figured that as long as I can handle the recoil, at the very least there's no disadvantage to using a bigger one.

Jim Shockey says that a 338 win mag is not out of place in Saskatchewan grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think if someone showed up at our place with a 338 mag that the ridicule would be somewhat similar to showing up with a 270 Win.... smile But then again we have just a few very small deer..... smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Most of those stories about "lead packing big deer" are the result of the nature of the animal and the circumstances under which it is frequently shot. All the worse of course the bigger they are..

A truly big whitetail is a once or twice lifetime animal. They are reclusive, smart, hard to see, and appear suddenly and usually not under the best of circumstances.

Shot opportunities are fleeting, frequently hurried and can occur at ANY distance from a few yards to as far as you can hit. If they aren't on the move they soon will be (count on it). You won't have much time to make the shot but if you hesitate he will be gone.

Under such circumstances, if you can react quickly enough at all, it's no wonder that, despite good intentions, shots are frequently not precisely placed, and human nature says that we think that more powerful cartridges provide some margin for bad placement.

It's a noble thought smile But I am not sure it works.

I admit to being seduced by it myself in early years, but soon discovered that the real key is good field marksmanship because even the biggest bucks are very quickly killed by good bullets and correct placement from standard cartridges.

The Kansas bucks shown above were killed by the 6.5 Creedmoor at 250 yards (DRT); the 270 Winchester at 180 yards (DRT), and the 270 Winchester t 50 yards (chest hit scrambled 20 yards and kaput).

The best rifle you can bring on a trophy whitetail hunt is the one that you can hit a soccer ball sized target at reasonable distance,from field positions under a variety of circumstances.

So long as it's reasonable,cartridges are a secondary consideration IMHO. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've said before that the three largest bucks I've seen killed here locally were all shot with a .243. Ranges from bow range to well over 250. Mine was the smallest and it gross scored over 170 as a mainframe 8. Hit them right with a decent bullet and get out your knife.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ole_270
it gross scored over 170 as a mainframe 8

shocked shocked shocked
Holy smokes, that's a BFB!

___

I'm sure others have noticed a trend amongst the 5 or 6 guys in this thread that hail from the sunflower state;
all know their deer and none of them are burning magnum primers to slay them. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
20 years ago. Back when I didn't know any better, would just shoot any ole meat buck that walked by. .270 with 130 grain Hornady. Baseball coach was likely using a 30/06 and factory ammo on the small one.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's ole_270s 8 point. If it wasn't a 9 point he'd have netted 170.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Wow!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow! is right......Geesh what a brute.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by Cheesy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ha! And true!

I don't have any pics, but my cousin shot an 8pt years ago that netted above 170". Truly a remarkable deer. He shot it with a single shot 12ga he bought the day before while sitting on a log with his wife smoking a cigarette...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Originally Posted by Proud_Dad
Nick, I hope you get a chance to come out after one of our Kansas bucks. Our Kansas deer are big, but they aren't bulletproof. These two both fell to a 90 gr. Accubond, the first from a .243 and mine from a 6mm Remington. Your 6.5's and 7mm will work just fine. Good luck!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome pics! Those are some big bodied deer. My post wasn't as much will it work, cause I know it will, but more of a sounding board for people's opinions. I have narrowed my collection to only 3 magnum class rifles. My go to rifles are a Sako 243 finnlight and a semi custom M7 in 7-08, when my creedmoor is complete, it will likely be my go to. I love the creedmoor. I've had 2 and love the way it performs on game.

I missed your reply earlier, so I thought I'd share a picture of another Kansas buck that fell to a Model 7 in 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. Reduced recoil load using SR4759 & a 120 gr. Hornady bullet, but it worked just fine.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 04/30/16.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Dan,
When I think of Kansas trophy whitetails, this could very well be the textbook photo.
Mature, good mass, some narly and odd stuff happening and a frame that reaches to the sky.

There's more than one thing to be proud of in that pict. smile

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damned nice bucks in this thread!

I think I'm going to stay out of Kansas for a while, though. Last buck I killed was with a 243. Seems as though some kind of crazy mutant deer have taken over the gene pool if I need to bring a magnum next trip. LOL.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are there not any young deer in Kansas?? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm ready to go!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

Dan,
When I think of Kansas trophy whitetails, this could very well be the textbook photo.
Mature, good mass, some narly and odd stuff happening and a frame that reaches to the sky.

There's more than one thing to be proud of in that pict. smile

Thanks, Scott. Lots of things I am proud of in this picture and definitely a memory that will last a lifetime. This buck wasn't as old as the one my wife shot a week earlier and it would have been interesting to see what another year or two might have done for it, but when it was in the crosshairs inside 75 yards with a 9 year old looking at her biggest deer ever it was time to pull the trigger. I will always remember watching Grace walk up to it with a look of disbelief as she had done a good job of focusing on her shot and didn't realize how nice of a buck it was. smile

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image] [/quote]

I love monster eights and that is a beaut! and with a win model 70 fwt, doesn't get much better.

I'm partial to model 70 fwt's in 270 on my Kansas deer, especially the pre 64 variety.

This big Kansas eluded me last year.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by southwind; 05/03/16.
D
d500lnn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by d500lnn
Nick, I hope you get a chance to come out after one of our Kansas bucks. Our Kansas deer are big, but they aren't bulletproof. These two both fell to a 90 gr. Accubond, the first from a .243 and mine from a 6mm Remington. Your 6.5's and 7mm will work just fine. Good luck!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome pics! Those are some big bodied deer. My post wasn't as much will it work, cause I know it will, but more of a sounding board for people's opinions. I have narrowed my collection to only 3 magnum class rifles. My go to rifles are a Sako 243 finnlight and a semi custom M7 in 7-08, when my creedmoor is complete, it will likely be my go to. I love the creedmoor. I've had 2 and love the way it performs on game.

I missed your reply earlier, so I thought I'd share a picture of another Kansas buck that fell to a Model 7 in 7mm-08 a couple of years ago. Reduced recoil load using SR4759 & a 120 gr. Hornady bullet, but it worked just fine.
[Linked Image]

Wow. What a deer! I bet you are proud. The 7-08 has piled up many deer across this great nation! I would be stoked with a deer like this if I'm lucky enough to hugest drawn!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Most of those stories about "lead packing big deer" are the result of the nature of the animal and the circumstances under which it is frequently shot. All the worse of course the bigger they are..

A truly big whitetail is a once or twice lifetime animal. They are reclusive, smart, hard to see, and appear suddenly and usually not under the best of circumstances.

Shot opportunities are fleeting, frequently hurried and can occur at ANY distance from a few yards to as far as you can hit. If they aren't on the move they soon will be (count on it). You won't have much time to make the shot but if you hesitate he will be gone.

Under such circumstances, if you can react quickly enough at all, it's no wonder that, despite good intentions, shots are frequently not precisely placed, and human nature says that we think that more powerful cartridges provide some margin for bad placement.

It's a noble thought smile But I am not sure it works.

I admit to being seduced by it myself in early years, but soon discovered that the real key is good field marksmanship because even the biggest bucks are very quickly killed by good bullets and correct placement from standard cartridges.

The Kansas bucks shown above were killed by the 6.5 Creedmoor at 250 yards (DRT); the 270 Winchester at 180 yards (DRT), and the 270 Winchester t 50 yards (chest hit scrambled 20 yards and kaput).

The best rifle you can bring on a trophy whitetail hunt is the one that you can hit a soccer ball sized target at reasonable distance,from field positions under a variety of circumstances.

So long as it's reasonable,cartridges are a secondary consideration IMHO. smile

All true!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 53 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.