Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Like I said I'm not the one chasing you all over the internet. If you bring it up I will respond. I did everything I could to help you figure it out then decided it was easiest if I got the barrel away from you and let you continue your merry trip.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Constructor,

Not taking sides here, just observations.

You would have been way ahead to refund Yonderlings money when he sent you the barrel. The time you spent dealing with this has got to be worth more than the barrel and you'd have a happy customer.

Leaving Yonderling's name on the emails was not cool.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Constructor,

Not taking sides here, just observations.

You would have been way ahead to refund Yonderlings money when he sent you the barrel. The time you spent dealing with this has got to be worth more than the barrel and you'd have a happy customer.

Leaving Yonderling's name on the emails was not cool.

Yes, looking back I should have returned his money the very first thing.
I did refund his money the second time. There was nothing wrong with the barrel so I thought he might try a few things I suggested.
As long as my guys are running the CNCs we're making 720 an hr, so I'm ok there.
I think I removed all of his email addresses and last name. The thing that strikes me as funny is everyone seems to think it is ok to bash business but it isn't ok for business to explain or show how things really went down.
People that don't understand how barrels are made like to throw out terms like "I know how there can be a bad one".
The chamber can never be smaller than the reamer. Peak pressure occurs in the first 6-8" of a barrel. Anyone that has ever used pressure equipt should be able to confirm that. It isn't like the whole length of the barrel has 58,000psi in it. Peak pressure is what causes pressure signs at the brass even false pressure signs.
The chamber, throat(which is engraving force)and the load (all aspects of the cartrdige) is what causes the peak pressure and any signs visible on the case.
I have pressure tested these barrels with the exact loads I suggested. You don't try a max charge in a new case with a shoulder diameter of .398 when the chamber has a .410 shoulder diameter. Max charges should be used only after the shoulder has been blown out to the size of the wildcat chamber which increases the case capacity.
There were 105 barrels, I kept 4 for myself including the 2 used for the pressure tests. I have 2 left. That leaves 99. 98 people have had no issues at all with the loads I have posted on the website as a guide.
The fact that he said several times he uses a .008 crush fit tells me he is measuring something wrong and more than likely sizing the brass wrong. I tried several times if you go through the emails to help him figure it out. After I returned the barrel to him I don't think he shot it again. When I received the barrel back the second time there was still red dykem in the barrel where I stained the metal to run the air gauge check.
This would never have left my office if he wasn't running around posting things on forums.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You still have that barrel?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
LOL Constructor, you're so full of it your eyes are brown. A few clarifications in bold:

Originally Posted by constructor

Yes, looking back I should have returned his money the very first thing.
I did refund his money the second time. Only because you screwed up the barrel during the first return; even then you wouldn't respond to my emails until I posted pictures of it on the 68 forum.

There was nothing wrong with the barrel so I thought he might try a few things I suggested. I tried everything you suggested, including some that had nothing to do with the problem, like neck turning, and explained that in our emails and online conversations on the 68forums. I also sent you pictures of pretty much all of it.

The fact that he said several times he uses a .008 crush fit tells me he is measuring something wrong and more than likely sizing the brass wrong. I just explained above that was for fireforming loads, not normal resizing.

I tried several times if you go through the emails to help him figure it out. After I returned the barrel to him I don't think he shot it again. When I received the barrel back the second time there was still red dykem in the barrel where I stained the metal to run the air gauge check. BS. I shot it a bunch, trying more things you hadn't though of, and sent you pictures of the ring left in the case necks from where you ground away the nitride when you "polished" the chamber. You have pictures of this, so you know the truth.

This would never have left my office if he wasn't running around posting things on forums. My only "posting things" was responding to another posters comment about your "great customer service". It seems fair for both of us to share our experiences, that's what these forums are for.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/04/16.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
BTW I've got a bunch of pictures of this stuff, if anyone wants to see them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why don't we put a shovel full on top of this turd.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm ok with just leaving this as saying I had a bad experience with ARP, which was my intention at the start of the thread.

If Constructor wants to continue making excuses for it, I'll continue to explain what really happened.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, this is a revelation to me.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just need to know what is a .008 crush fit? Where are you measuring from?

I load Ackley rounds in bolt guns and a crush fit to me is sizing just enough to make a hard to close bolt.

I size my AR brass by bumping the shoulder back .003 so it chambers in the auto.

Not picking at you but truly don't understand what you are describing.

And you're not the first to find BS BS claims of high velocity on 6.8 based Wildcats.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR
I just need to know what is a .008 crush fit? Where are you measuring from?

+.008" headspace measurement. The 30 Herret wildcats are made by pushing the shoulder back on 6.8 brass, so if you don't bump the shoulder back to .000" headspace when forming brass the first time, you get a crush fit. It's not totally necessary, but can help a little in the fireforming process. To reiterate, again, this was only for fireforming loads.

Of course, there is no way to get much of a "crush fit" once the brass has been formed the first time, because the brass comes out of the chamber at .000" headspace, give or take a little.

My only reason for mentioning the crush fit was to show Constructor in our email conversations that dropping the bolt on brass in this chamber would size down brass by at least that amount. Maybe it was doing that on correctly sized brass too, causing headspace issues? That's not something you'd encounter in a bolt gun of course.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/05/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats at least what I assumed you were saying. Bigger than chamber and slam bolt shut to form to chamber. Eliminates brass stretch on first forming firing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
The 30 Herret wildcats are made by pushing the shoulder back on 6.8 brass,

I guess you mean the .30 Herrett AR, not the original rimmed version made from .30-30 cases

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Well, yeah, given the discussion I figured that was understood. Same for the earlier 30 HRT and some other unnamed experiments that are all close variations of the same thing.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats at least what I assumed you were saying. Bigger than chamber and slam bolt shut to form to chamber. Eliminates brass stretch on first forming firing.

Yes, exactly. The bolt had to be slammed shut (or just normal cycling) in those fireforming loads of course; it won't close on a crush fit by hand following the bolt home.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And thats exactly the way to fireform if you can. Get a tight fit and let it blow out from there.

Assuming thats possible.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I have to admit, I was surprised the maker of that wildcat barrel had a hard time understanding that, and kept wanting to make an issue of it. It seems pretty straightforward to me, but maybe my wording was confusing somehow. Online & email communication is always more difficult.

Last edited by Yondering; 05/06/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
face to face is the way to do things if at all possible.

And while your wording was not exactly correct IMHO, it was easy enough to understand for me at least.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.