Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hess Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
So here's the story:

I just rec'd two Mountaineers yesterday, one right hand and one left hand (yes, one of each) inletted for a RH and LH Bighorn SR2 short action. Invoice for stocks say just that and I chose different colors just for fun. Both are inletted for a #2 Brux. They were ordered at the same time and shipped to my house yesterday together.

But the ejection port or portion cut out isn't correct on the RH version. What the heck? The action drops in perfectly but it's funky and obviously having a second stock, I know how it SHOULD look. I guess I'll be be getting a hold of McMillan on Monday to see what's up...

In case you were wondering one weighs 24.8 oz and the other 25.2. Other than this little issue, these are impressive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Everybody has the right to a wrong opinion.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your RH stock looks like my Mountaineer. I'm sure that's how the cutout around the ejection port is supposed to be. It is different than any other pattern.

Not sure why it's not the same on the LH stock.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
257, what contour os your barrel and how long? I have one on order that I'm putting a #3 mullerworks in it finished at 22". I'm concerned it will look funny because of the short forearm. Mine is a short action.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22" will look right at home. Mine pictured is a factory SS Mtn Rifle in 260.

Should be plenty of room for a #3 and 22" will look right at home. Your build choice will be fine with that stock, believe me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback and pics. I'm even more pumped now. Love that paint and red pad. If only the damn stock will come on.....thanks 257.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It looks like they don't shorten the action area for a short action and merely re position the screw area and fill the void. The fact that your stocks came in a full ounce plus heavier than mine that was inletted for a long action would confirm that suspicion.

For reference, here is a long action mountaineer (top stock).
[Linked Image]

For what it's worth, I think they look great despite the gap.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
H
Hess Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Sevens,

The crazy thing is the LH stock is what you would expect. Anybody think it's a mistake that hasn't got called out yet?

Your Rifles Inc. gun is that way but you would think McMillan stocks would match RH and LH machining.

It makes absolutely no sense to me! Just an infant gun looney trying to figure it out. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a mistake on either, even though you didn't address me.

I'd bet it's a cost issue on the molds....as they don't make very many left-hand stocks.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW....Dick from McMillan is a member here, but I can't remember what his user name is.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Hess
Your Rifles Inc. gun is that way but you would think McMillan stocks would match RH and LH machining.

I am sad to say I didn't even notice that.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
After seeing it on several iterations, I am going to take a guess that it is a cost / efficiency thing. Fewer variations of the CNC inletting programs required for the growing proliferation of Rem 700 clones and variants. Basically, a "one size fits all" for ejection port programming for RH Rem 700 variants...

H
Hess Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I get the one thing fits all theory, as I'm truly not on any sort of witch hunt...BUT a perfect left hand Mountaineer with a Bighorn SA inlet was shipped to my door as well. What are the odds of that being more popular than a beloved Rem 700?

If that's how it is, I get a stalk that is one of the best on the market, and I'm totally great w/that. Just interesting weekend gun talk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257heaven
BTW....Dick from McMillan is a member here, but I can't remember what his user name is.

fwiw,
I was talking to one of the girls at McMillan a few weeks back who was terminally confused and I suggested she talk to Dick Davis. She informed me that he has retired and occasionally stops in to untangle problems and answer questions, however, he is no longer on staff in a full time problem solving position. She said he was SORELY missed and they love to see him come through the door...fwiw

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet they do miss him, he seemed to be the answer man. For the Op, Ryan used to post on here also. shoot to win I believe is his call sign.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ryan/ShootToWin hasn't logged on since 2013. And I bet they are missing Dick.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ryan/ShootToWin hasn't logged on since 2013.

Ryan is the head honcho for the internet sales now.

Dustin I believe filled his "spot" at McM.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Hess
I get the one thing fits all theory, as I'm truly not on any sort of witch hunt...BUT a perfect left hand Mountaineer with a Bighorn SA inlet was shipped to my door as well. What are the odds of that being more popular than a beloved Rem 700?

If that's how it is, I get a stalk that is one of the best on the market, and I'm totally great w/that. Just interesting weekend gun talk.

Agree 100%. From a production efficiency standpoint, would expect them to eventually do the same thing for left hand inlets. Might be in a transition period. Will be interesting to see if the "OSFA" ejection port inlet gradually makes it over to the LH CNC inlet programs as well. Again, just a guess on my part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

351 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.