-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I lift heavy stuff all the time but I'm not moving a safe, just because of the liability the safe movers accept when they do it for you. Spend the money and quit sweating.

LOL

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rented piano mover from local u-haul joint for $8. Mine was on 4x4 pieces of wood bolted to bottom of safe when it came out of the box. They loaded it on a flatbed trailer at cabelas. Took it home, slid off trailer so it stood up. Slid 4 wheeled mover underneath then undid the bolts and kicked wood out so it sat on mover and wheeled it in the house. Had to make a small ramp out of plywood and 2x4's to get it over the threshold but after that it was pretty easy. When I got it into the room I was leaving it in I wedged the wood back in then slid the mover out. I pushed on one side while my son kicked the wood out from underneath and slid it where I wanted it on the carpet. Wasn't to bad for just two of us. I have the same safe.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i've move lots of them,3 guys ,good cart,rugs or old carpet. not as bad as you think.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate all the input. Guess I have a decision to make.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Whatever you decide, anchor it to the slab and install the safe so the opening side of the safe door is close to a solid wall.

Last edited by gunner500; 05/06/16.

Trump Won!
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great advice from Gunner.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
did i read this right that you are taking it down stairs? i wouldn't even attempt that. but if its all one level and you have at least 1 other guy it can be done with a refrigerator dolly from rental place. i've moved my 1100 lb safe myself and two teens with a pallet jack but it was all one level and wide doors.

My diploma is a DD214
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Gledeasy

If you can afford the money, spend it and save your back.

Or if you are young, stupid, or broke then have at it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Centurion/Liberty safe. Four years ago when I moved for the first time in 34 years I had the movers look after moving the safe. It had to be removed from the basement of my old home and into the basement of the new home. The movers did it easily using an industrial sized movers dolly. There is no way I would have attempted to make the move nor would I have asked others to do it for free. Moving the safe was included in the price of my overall move which in my opinion was quite reasonable.

Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Professional safe movers make it look so easy.

Amateurs moving a safe is a recipe for disaster. In college I was hired as part of a crew of big strong guys to move a plumbing and heating business. The large office safe slipped as it was being eased out the front door and down a couple of steps.

It was just luck that nobody got hurt as the safe slammed onto the sidewalk on its side. One of the furniture dollies shot out from under it as it tipped and put a big dent in a wall. It could have broken someone's leg so easily. Or a foot could have gotten crushed. We were lucky.

Even with several strong guys it was hard getting under the safe to get it back on dollies. Like someone said, no handles.

Other than one other time helping a friend move a safe he bought from me I have always hired it done, four times now, total. I feel it is money well spent. Risking getting hurt just isn't worth it.

The professionals make it look so easy. The show alone can be worth the cost. I will never move another safe myself. That is my advice to everyone.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another piece of advice:

The pro movers have insurance and Workman's Comp.

If you hire Joe Blow doing it on the side and he gets hurt at your place, you may be on the hook for it. The few bucks saved up front could look pretty pale if something happens.

The potential for property damage is pretty high, also. Think dented floors, cracked wood, broken tile, etc. The pro's are covered for this stuff.

Go with the pro's. Enjoy the show. The pro's will bolt it down for you, also. They will also make adjustments to hinges, lock pins, and re-lockers if any are needed. If the safe turns out to have any unforeseen problem, they can take care of it. Lots of food for thought. In my mind the decision is easy.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've moved several safes that weighed 1200 lbs by my self used a winch on the front of my truck and a refrigerator dolly to lower down the stairs to the basement and take them out out of a couple....most safes the door can be removed can cut the total weight by 1/3....yes golf balls work but any pipe or PVC works better....you put down some 1x6 put pipes on top put safe on top of pipes it will roll with ease...gone across finished hardwood, tile even carpet does't leave a mark....

Use your brain not your back....you will be surprised what can be move with little effort....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 05/07/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A lot of advice doled out for just a 600 lb safe.

Don't you have any friends? Pick up a pizza and a 12 pack, call in some favors.

Gawd

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
A lot of advice doled out for just a 600 lb safe.

Don't you have any friends? Pick up a pizza and a 12 pack, call in some favors.

Gawd

This.... Get three friends and a case of beer. Take the damn door off and move it in two pieces.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I suggest paying a pro but $300 is pretty steep.
My local liberty dealer charges 100 delivery.

I have moved mine twice but I had access to a dolly made especially for that purpose. The dolly makes it a breeze. Maybe you can rent a dolly?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2 boys(grown men) and I moved my 1,200 lb safe up 4 steps, across a wood deck and into my den.
We used telephone pole cut offs for rollers, as the were about the same height as the steps.
A good deal of thought and engineering went into the process.
Went well, but I doubt I'd do it again. Potential for damage or harm is high.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How strong is your wife?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Gledeasy

If you can afford the money, spend it and save your back.

Or if you are young, stupid, or broke then have at it.

If you are stupid you need to hire someone.

Other than that, have never even come close to any issue moving the safe. Of course we use some friends, some mechanical devices and safeties.... Not all would do it that way, and are not in a hurry. Amazing how easy it is to get it up with a dolly or bar, how easy it is to slip pipes under it and ease it on its way.

Spend the money on beer and pizza afterwards and buy another case of shells to boot.

Of course as noted we do a lot of things on the farm that others choose not to.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Since you said "down stairs" keep in mind the fire proof rating is not good it the safe drops more than a few feet because it will break the liner. If you are actually concerned about a break-in get an alarm system too. It tends to limit how long the perps stay. Anchoring the safe is best but an alarm system is good for your personal safety too.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (10Glocks, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,271
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.